Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum and I am looking for someone who knows or who has been through a dog with IMHA. Please no judgement I am not on here to be judged I am on here for help.

It all started 4 weeks ago 8/12 when my naturally lazy dog 3 yr old male neutered pitbull became a little more lazy then usual he then started peeing blood (looked like he was peeing hot tea) and gums went completely pale. I am unfortunately in an extreme financial struggle and i am a young and living on my own. I however am fortunate enough to work for a non profit animal shelter with vets and vet techs that work with me who are so willing to help and do what they can for me , so thats where i took him to because i could not afford a vet. They took a urinalysis and found out he was not bleeding from his urinary tract so they went to blood testing him which we found was something I was not expecting his red blood cell count was down to 17 which is extremely low. We then gave him fluids started him on doxycycline and a high dose of prednisone 30mg 2x daily.I was also suggested giving him pepcid in the morning and by feeding him ensure which i did everyday. 2 days after his red blood cell count was at 14. I was so angry and so upset knowing i could not give my dog the medical care that he needs at this time. Many many nights of crying myself to sleep and force feeding my dog got me some where because guess what a week later he was up and playing and again we blood tested him came back NORMAL! i was so happy he was my dog again. I still did what needed to be done like he was still very sickly. We then decided a week from today 9/2 we would take him off the doxy and lower his pred to 20mg 2x daily. so thats what we did and as for lastnight 9/9 he relapsed and we gave him another blood test and now is down to 14 again. This is crushing me his doctor said that this does sometimes happens with IMHA that they do great and then BANG they are back down. i have full trust in Scoobys doctor i am just looking for someone who has been through this and can talk to me or something. His doctor seems hopeful for him as do i but this is still very very scary . It all happens so quickly.

I am going to apologize for how long this is and please dont be judgmental i am doing everything i can possibly do for him with what money i do have.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts