Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have a problem! My dogs are 9 & 11, the older is the male, and he on three occasions, urinated in the house. The good thing is it has always been down stairs close to the door where they go in and out. I do not think this is a medical problem yet, knock on wood. I always seem to come up with these great ideas that back fire and my wife is really worried this is one of them? So I am asking your help that I do,or not do what I am thinking:redface:

I got this magazine in the mail called www.IntheCompanyofDogs Por table indoor dog potty. it is artificial grass mat specifically for dogs infused with antimicrobial agents, agrate and trayunderneath, allow instant drainage. treated with organic attractant that dogs instinctively want to mark, hmmm?

Has anyone heard of some sort of product like this and is my wife right, do not go that route? Just thinking when it is below -0 here and my male dog refuses to go out this would also be great for that and the snow blizzards we have out here!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've heard of these before, and apparently people use them to help house train puppies (though its my feeling that any 'acceptable' indoor peeing is counterproductive when house training). I've never heard of them being dangerous or being harmful.. so the only think I can think of that may go wrong is your dog may decide to simply use this mat instead of going outside at all... like reverse house training, lol.

Im skeptical that the 'organic attractant' will do its job in luring your dog, so you may need to train him to pee on it. Aside from that, if it lets them pee when they need to pee (regardless of whether youre around, or the weather) it seems like a good idea. As dogs get older they cannot always hold their pee as long. That's normal, but if it gets worse, consider the possibility of renal failure or other age-related conditions.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Don't do it. Take your dog to the vet to actually rule out a medical issue and if all is clear, up the amount of trips outside so he doesn't have the chance to soil the house.

·
Registered
731 Posts
What do you expect to happen that would make buying one of those a mistake?

If it's been fairly recent then I would check if these are accidents because of a health problem.

Your dogs are getting older and some just cannot hold pee that long and I think that may be the case. You can be taking them out more often to prevent accidents, but I don't think it's a bad idea to get the grass for a dog who needs to go unexpectedly. Yes, it's counterproductive to their initial potty training, but would you rather be staunch about making them go outside only, or giving your dog with a bladder holding issue some freedom? If it's unrealistic to be there for more potty breaks and not leave this dog alone for a long time, I wouldn't discount having a grass pad.

I rather make a senior comfortable than the idea of them being good outside potty dogs. I had a senior pug I left puppy pads out for. She didn't use them very often since we were home a lot for her, but it was nice for the times she couldn't hold it at night or when we were gone or sometimes it was already too late to run to the yard. She was very well trained and I hated seeing that she would be so ashamed when she had a accident. We weren't mad at her, but it almost seemed like she was disappointed in herself and would put herself in her time out corner. If I knew about those grass pads, I would've gotten one.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
I agree with the poster who said that a vet check is in order. If possible, bring in a urine specimen with you. If not, they can get one. Your dogs are older, it could be a medical issue. What breed is he?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
First thank you for your replys, and concern this could be a med problem or not? They have a visit to the vet for teeth cleaning next month, will bring a sample of his urine. They are small dogs so 11 years may not be that old, they are min-schnauzers world greatest dogs lolo! Thats if they did not bark soo much!
My wife corrected me this is only the second time my male has done this back in March. this time I was upstairs on the CP, and my wife was down stair using the bathroom, thats funny because she said that Doc, looked in on her, and then went to the door and took a small leak, so I guess they both had to go at the same time?
Wag_More, precisely what I am worried about, "reverse house training". And being a male he does not squat, and may very likely over shoot the target. Its a 30"x20" mat, but I could use a heavy duty plastic sheet beyound that size.
The_Monsters, he was also very ashamed at what he did, after he went out side to finish his business he was embarrassed to come back in, poor guy! Quite a sensitive dog, they both are!

So I Am glad you said what you did because I like to try this indoor grass thing out, especially when they get older, although right now my little girl often gets me up at night to go out for P & P. Oh, we are both retired now so they get 24 hour service, never left alone, they are never bored. She my girl helps me make chess moves when I am playing on line, often knocking the pieces over so I will stop playing and play with her or rub her belly. Thanks again! Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts