Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maggie (Deaf) (Female) (Spayed at 6mo) is a 13 yr old 11 pound chihauhau mix and has lost her hearing. Riley (blind)(male) (neutuered only 4 mo ago) is a 7 yr old, 15 lb Jack Russell and has been blind from cataracts since he was about 2. These 2 dogs have lived together and shared everything (toys, food, people..etc) since Riley (blind) was a puppy. Riley (blind) has been getting very aggressive towards Maggie (Deaf) lately. Whenever Maggie (Deaf) approaches his space, he can't see who/what she is since he's blind so he sounds off a little warning growl. Maggie (Deaf) doesn't hear it and keeps coming. I think Riley (blind) interprets this as Maggie (Deaf) challenging him. It seems to be getting worse and I have to jump in and yell and pick little Maggie (Deaf) up and when I do he's then jumping and biting at her. I finally had Riley (blind) neutuered several months ago and he seems even more aggressive now! What can I do? They have always stayed home together while I work but now I'm afraid after all these years Riley (blind) is going to hurt Maggie (Deaf) all because she doesn't hear him. Does anyone have any training tips on how to handle this? Riley (blind) is very smart and trainable. Maggie (deaf) is hard to work with since she can't hear me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I keep them in separate rooms while I'm at work but this goes on right in front of me and has made even sitting on the couch in the evenings nearly impossible!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your time. I feel your suggestion would negatively impact their quality of life. I'm seeking training advice and methods. I am very skilled at keeping them separated and so far no one has been hurt.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Sometimes sudden or increased aggression can be a side of thyroid issues. Might be worth it to get that checked out.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Thanks for your time. I feel your suggestion would negatively impact their quality of life. I'm seeking training advice and methods. I am very skilled at keeping them separated and so far no one has been hurt.
I can't imagine being attacked is a good quality of life.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts