Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some time ago I made a post asking if Dasuquin is a good joint health supplement. I started my 11 year old min-schnauzser on it back in March. It does not seem to be doing anything for him, he is still licking at his joints even more, which tells me it must bother him. Some one mentioned another product that they felt is better. I only went with this first because my Vet said its good!? I will try to find that post, but if any one is kind enough to comment on this problem I would be greatly appreciated.
I know dogs get old and they will have these problems just like us humans, but if I can make it just slightly better for him I would go that extra mile! Thanks for reading! Bob

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I don't know what was recommended in the other thread, so I'll just go through what I know. . .

I've heard good things about Adequan (an injectable, made for horses). You have to do a loading dose first (like every week for a month or something like that) and then once every few months for maintenance. And did you use the Dasuquin with MSM or without? I think MSM is pretty good stuff. Vitamin C can help a bit. And fish oil seems to be the standard for arthritis now.

If the supplements don't work anymore, you'll have to move on the stronger stuff. NSAIDs, steroids, etc. Even nasty stuff you wouldn't want to use in a younger dog can be a good option to buy a senior dog some more comfort in his last years.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Ditto Adequan. Do a month of the loading dose. (One shot every 4 days for a month. Your vet can show you how to give the shots. Cost is about 245. for 8 shots. Do it twice a year.)

Try also using Glucosamine/chondroitin/msm pills (for people).

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First, thank you for your helpful replys, glad to hear some one else is using Dasuquin, and confirming my feelings, not seeing anything positive or improving?
Now I remember on my first post, Adequan injection come up, and I disregarded it because I hate giving injections, especially on skinny little dogs like min-shnauzers. had a doby that I had to give injections to for diabetic problems result of old age, that was something I hoped I would not have to face again. Well now it sounds like Adequan should strongly be addressed, will talk to my vet. Thanks for that advise, will bring it up with my vet, and if we go with it I will for sure bring it up on this post for others to benefit with the results!

Just a short message to Willowy, you have contributed alot over the years to Dogy forum, you are very much appreciated, just like Elana! Just wanted to let you know I have a brother down in Texas, a mail carrier, once got heat stroke, thats is hard work even if you drive. they have been in the three digit temp for almost two months with no relief in sight. ON the other hand we in West River, Black Hills today I took the dogs for there walk with a jacket on, it was fifty. Everything is green the meadows are plus green and the farmers are getting extra cuttings for winter feed. I lived in Watertown before I moved out here its like moving to Hawaii. I love it here, and so do my dogs, they are more cold weather dogs then warm, but not as cold as Watertown can get. Keep up the good work and hope you retire soon and have more time for what you enjoy doing the most!

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Ditto Adequan. Do a month of the loading dose. (One shot every 4 days for a month. Your vet can show you how to give the shots. Cost is about 245. for 8 shots. Do it twice a year.)

Try also using Glucosamine/chondroitin/msm pills (for people).
Spotted nikes, I know I've asked about adequan before, but I have another question if you can answer it...

Soro's gotten a round of Adequan (4 shots, one every 5 days or so) some time in december I believe.
He's on it again right now. 1.5 mL every 4-5 days, he's on his second shot which I gave him this morning. I don't think my vet completed a loading dose like you described the previously... But anyways, I hope to see some improvement by the end of this. Otherwise, if I need more Adequan in the future is it a prescription only med? For some reason when I searched it it's hard to discern if it's 'vet approval recommended' or prescription only. Also, absolutely no injections between 6 months?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
It is by prescription only. Most vets (if you are a client ) will either write a prescription, or match the price of what you can get it for online. Google it online for prices (make sure it is Adequan IM canine). I know with my vet, I asked him how much it was for the 8 shots worth, and when he told me, I told him that I would really like to buy my meds from him, but I can get it online from 'Petsmed"/"Jeffers Vet Supply", etc, for "X" amount, and my money is kindof tight right now. Would he be willing to match the price? If not, then how close could he get, or will he write me a prescription?" He matched the price. Check your local laws, but in many states, vets are required to write prescriptions for clients (you MUST have a client relationship with them...ie you use them for shots/exams, illness...not just show up in the clinic for the first time, and ask for a prescription.)

Recent studies show that doing the loading dose twice a year is most effective. You can do a loading dose, and then one shot a month, which is how it used to be dosed. But it isn't necessarily more effective.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
One other thing... Is he limping? The reason I ask, is that many times dogs can develop obsessive habits that are pschologically rewarding to them. So if he used to lick his joints when in pain, and he felt better, it can become an ingrained habit just like someone biting their nails. It soothes them mentally. So even if they don't hurt anymore (if the Rimadyl was helping), they'll still have that licking habit. Some dogs will do it to the point of making themselves bleed.
If he isn't limping, moving short, stiff getting up then I'd definitely consider that the licking may be ingrained. Especially as a dog gets older, they tend to do strange things.
You might also see if your vet would let you try Previcox instead of Rimadyl. Sometimes one NSAID doesn't work, but another does. If you still see the licking after 5 days on the Previcox, I'd tend to say its a habit. The Adequan won't hurt, but might not be necessary, and you could get away with just a Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM supp, that is cheap.
And I forget what you are feeding, but a grain free alternative protein food might be worth trying, as food allergies develop normally after being exposed to a certain trigger/allergen in the food. And licking legs is a common food allergy symptom.
just trying to cover all the bases the least expensive way.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
One other thing... Is he limping? The reason I ask, is that many times dogs can develop obsessive habits that are pschologically rewarding to them. So if he used to lick his joints when in pain, and he felt better, it can become an ingrained habit just like someone biting their nails. It soothes them mentally. So even if they don't hurt anymore (if the Rimadyl was helping), they'll still have that licking habit. Some dogs will do it to the point of making themselves bleed.
If he isn't limping, moving short, stiff getting up then I'd definitely consider that the licking may be ingrained. Especially as a dog gets older, they tend to do strange things.
You might also see if your vet would let you try Previcox instead of Rimadyl. Sometimes one NSAID doesn't work, but another does. If you still see the licking after 5 days on the Previcox, I'd tend to say its a habit. The Adequan won't hurt, but might not be necessary, and you could get away with just a Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM supp, that is cheap.
And I forget what you are feeding, but a grain free alternative protein food might be worth trying, as food allergies develop normally after being exposed to a certain trigger/allergen in the food. And licking legs is a common food allergy symptom.
just trying to cover all the bases the least expensive way.
Thanks! I appreciate all of your input, as usual :D

He isn't 'limping' per say. His head dips when he walks (here's a thread on it, with a video to show what I'm talking about)
http://www.dogforums.com/general-dog-forum/99991-update-soros-leg.html#post1055080

It comes in various stages... It was very minor and hardly noticeable when I first came home (a week ago), but a few days ago he ran for like... 3 seconds, and the head dipping became very prominent again. The head dipping is the ONLY symptom and he otherwise doesn't lick his legs or joints or anything. It's just becoming more subtle by this morning too.

I've thought about the 'ingrained' behavior bit before. I've heard that some dogs will even limp for attention! But I don't think it's that because of the manner in which it goes away, then comes back if he's done strenuous exercise (however brief). He's being kept at a brisk walking pace, with massages and warm compresses regularly, and a combination of Gluco/Chondroiton tabs, Adequan, and fish oil right now... So he BETTER not be making it up! :D

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Ask your vet about trying Previcox, Derramax or etodolac (Previcox is the most "advanced, and easiest on the stomach and liver). Try a 5 day to a week dose, and see if you have better results than the Rimadyl. Adequan is great, and actually helps lubricate the joints as opposed to masking the pain, but it might be handy to find an NSAID that works for him, that you could give him as needed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts