Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help.. It's 10pm on a Sunday night here in Australia. We came home about an hour ago, notice our Boxer x American Staffy has his left lip swollen and red, and these lumps all over his body. We called a 24hr vet help line and he advised us to give the dog some Promethazine.. I gave him 4mg he is probably around 75lbs..

It appears he may have been bitten around the face.. I'm not sure what by.

I have some pics to show you, he looks in upset but he is quite himself and still running around and wanting to play...

·
Registered
350 Posts
When a dog's face swells and welts start appearing, it can be very, very serious. A dog can go into anaphylactic shock and die if not properly treated. Nobody here can determine what happened to your dog or how bad it will get so I do hope that you got your dog to an emergency vet.

Fingers and paws are crossed here for you and your baby.

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a bit after 5am, his face has stopped swelling and being red, all signs of swelling have dissappeared but his body is still covered. We are taking him to the vet as soon as it opens

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yay!!! I'm glad to hear the swelling has gone down and glad that you will be taking him in to get checked out. It's always scarey when these things happen so I know the high anxiety levels that us pet owners experience at times like these. By the way, you have a beautiful boy there.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Could be mosquito bites. Give him Benedryl (1 mg per pound) and see if that helps. It won't hurt anyway.

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies/concern guys

Took him to the vet he got the all clear, doctor guessed it was a spider or something, he gave us a higher dose of Benadryl to give the dog, he is fine today, and the welts have basically disappeared from his under his fur.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
You have some rather nasty venomous insects and arachnids (which you probably already know about) down there, be sure to keep PLENTY of benadryl on hand for short term treatment of bites. If your pup ever shows signs of having problems breathing, paralysis or seizures get him to the vet ASAP for an epi injection or anti-venom.

Rayzen's reaction is pretty strong BTW, the next reaction could be far worse.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My boston terrier used to get bumps like that after being stung by a bee. Always gave her benadryl.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts