Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son recently bought a pit bull puppy. I have been doing research (because that is what I do) about his dog. He says that it a "full blooded" pit bull. I have seen that these dogs go by different names, American Staffordshire, American Pit Bull Terrier etc. I have also read that Pit Bull is not a specific breed of dog but a term used to describe several breeds of dogs with similar physical characteristics.

My son, being young, did no research and has no papers. He is happy with his dog and I guess that's all that matters but my question is... What does he likely have? Is there a specific breed commonly grouped into a pit bull category that is more prevalent?

This is something that he did completely on his own and I know nothing about the breeder.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
A pit bull is an American Pit Bull Terrier, and nothing else. It is not a category of several breeds, but one breed alone. Also it's purebred not full blooded, all dogs (cept those with a blood disorder or something) are full of blood.

If the dog has no papers, than there is no proof that the dogs is an APBT. And for that matter there is no proof that the dog is even purebred.

·
Registered
11,375 Posts
Technically a "pit bull" is only the APBT. An American Staffordshire Terrier which is AKC registered can be cross-registered with the UKC as an APBT but not in the opposite order. But in reality, a "pit bull" is a dog that looks and acts like something more-or-less like an APBT or a Staffie.
If you have a "pit bull" in that generic, no papers, no reliable knowledge of breed, then you can guess it will act something like an APBT or Staffie and the average person on the street will consider you to have a "pit bull".... meaning you (he) will get all the attention, both positive and negative, which that brings. You will also have to consider apartment and housing rules, insurance rules and breed specific laws that concern "pit bulls" and "pit bull mixes" (which, at minimum if it looks like an APBT and the breeder was calling it a pit bull than it has to be something close to that).

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
An AKC AmStaff can not be UKC registered as an APBT.

Other than that Choas and Shell are spot on.

People misuse the breed that doesnt make it any thing other than a pure breed. American Pit Bull Terrier. AKC accepted them under a different name and now are different types so much so they are considered seperate breeds by most.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts