Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ugh...she is a 5 month shihtzu who doesn't like to walk. We've had her for over 2 months and we go around the same block every day. She knows it, it's not foreign to her. She won't walk with me, my husband, the dog walkers or anyone. Will this ever change? She just stops and stares...sometimes stops and just sits and hangs out. The weather is not hot so it isn't weather related and this has been going on since we got her. The only time she does walk is when my husband and I are walking together with her. She loves to walk then. She also walks if there is another dog (dog walkers dog) with her but unfortunately that can't always be the case. Any tricks? I really need to figure something out. We have a new dog walker coming today and am sure he will quit once he sees that it could take him 30-40 minutes to get around 1 block. :(

·
Registered
26 Posts
Im not sure if this could help but do you have another route you could take the dog on? Daisy gets very bored going on the same route every day so we try to mix it up and go different places. Even just a field somewhere with a ball.

·
Registered
894 Posts
does she walk away from the house? and then stop? or does she not even leave the house? does she look at thinks? seems scared? or does she just refuses to walk?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh no she is not scared. She is one happy puppy. She has no issues walking out of the house, going downstairs...finding a spot to pee or poop and then she thinks she is done and just wants to hang out but I want to walk her. She has no issues running and walking fast when she sees another dog in front of her or if she wants to run to someone who wants to play with her. we live in a busy neighborhood...lotz of poeple and dogs. Even if I take a quiet street, she just like to hang out, watch the birds and listen to the noises. I fear trying a new block lol because then it'll be worse with new stuff to see making the walk alot longer lol. I also want to exercise her so If she'd walk we'd go alot more than we do now. If it's my husband and I she there are no issues..She is excited and knows she has to walk. But solo with any of us is such an issue. I basically have to push her along many times and even doing that she will not plop her feet down to continue walking. I see other pups in town and don't see them with this issue. Am not sure what to do.

·
Registered
894 Posts
have you tried to send your husband out first and then walk towards him? just make a big party when she walks ;-)
or what i did with my young dog, she had the same issue, but because she looked at stuff being scared. i put a harness on. then when she stop i always used the same word (c'mon), to motivate her to keep walking and i "pulled" her. (not really pulling, just a little). when she walked, i made sure she knew that was what i want and i just kept walking. she stoped, the same thing. the more often you let your dog sit and just "hang out", the more it will think thats what the going for a walk is for. thry "baby steps" and always make sure she knows, that waking is what you want and not just sitting there. also use c'mon (or whatever word u wanna use), when you and your husband go together. so she knwos, that this word means walking.
worked good for my dog. we walk for 30 min now with no stop (or maybe one) ;-)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have used the cmon command and have pulled on her to get her to walk. I don't like doing it and I can't say it works. Sometimes I am pulling her and her 4 legs are up in the air and she is happy not plopping them down to walk. It could go on for a while before she puts her feet down and then she stops again. What a struggle. I always praise her when she is walking. I'm gonna try not letting her sit and push her along. It's not always easy on a busy street pulling on her...am sure people are wondering why I am doing that lol... You make a good point about the more often I let her sit then she'll think that is what the walk is. I do allow that but it's because I feel bad pulling her all the time but am sure the dog walkers do the same thing so now we have probably confused her. :(

·
Registered
894 Posts
dont pull that hard. you should not mover her by pulling. i just used the "pulling" to motivate her. like i never actually pulled her away or something. just a little tiny "pull". can you go for a walk with another dog but without your husband?
you should try to send your husband first...and try that. or maybe drive somewhere? and walk then?
also talk to your dogwalkers, and make sure they know exactly what to do. its not good when she gets different signals from different people.
do you have a safe place to walk where you could put her on a long leash and just walk away from her when she stops? that could work too, since you said she is not scared or anything.
sure somebody else here can give you better advice. that was just what came to my mind.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
my husband and I take turns walking her. Honestly it's harder for her to think about poop or pee if we both do it together. She is too excited and distracted and we really shouldn't have to do that. We can't always walk her with another dog either. I mean I am just trying to take her out for her pee and poop break and then after she does that take a stroll around the block for some exercise. I honestly want to tie a liver treat to both my ankles at this point to get her to walk. Maybe I should introduce treats to the walk? What do you think? We do give her a treat when she peeps and poops and praise her but maybe we should stop that treat session since peeing and pooping are not an issue for her.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Is she food motivated? Maybe you could throw a treat in front of you while saying c'mon and praising her and use that for an entire walk a couple times and then slowly taper down so you only have to use one or two treats for the whole walk.

Only other thing I can think of is maybe she just doesn't have the energy to walk. Do you have a backyard she runs in? Sometimes with smaller dogs they just don't need walks to burn off energy like larger dogs if they already have somewhere to run around.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Hamilton is similar. Same route, different route, doesn't matter. Hamilton walks when Hamilton wants to (and generally, he doesn't want to). We talked to our trainer about it and she didn't have a clue why he wouldn't walk. She couldn't figure anything out, and he doesn't care if you have treats or a squeaky toy or anything. If he's not in the mood, you're out of luck. We have found a few things do help - one is walking with more than one person. If two (or more!) people walk him, he's more likely to walk, and if he stalls, one person (usually me cause I'm THE BEST PERSON EVER according to Ham) walks ahead a while and he'll realize they're leaving him and run to catch up. Second - he walks better at the park than at home. Is it a pain in the butt to pack him up and drive down to the park to walk when we have places to walk around the house? Absolutely. But he's a pain in the butt if he's full of beans and won't walk. Third - he likes to follow other dogs. If we run into dogs we know at the park we'll walk with them, or if we meet a friendly dog/person, they will often let us tag along. Generally I can get 1-2 miles out of him every day, then he's done.

We also have a fenced in back yard, and he'll chase squirrels, and play with a flirt pole or chase bubbles for a finite amount of time (10 minutes? maybe?) the he just wants to lay in the sun, or chew on a stick. If you get him around other dogs though, he will run around like a maniac until he can no longer move. I try to get him to play groups and things at least twice a week, and try to meet up with his park buddies a few days a week too (though he can't play off leash at the park!).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts