Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the weather getting warm I am seeing so many people that appear to be ignoring their dogs feet. Today was over 80f, we were at a dog event in Portland, so many, more than not, seemed to not think of how hot the ground was, cement can get super hot. We saw so many standing & people watching while their dog stood on hot cement or asphalt. At one point I took my sandal off to feel for myself, I couldn't even put my foot down all the way it was so hot. Please take care of your dogs feet, its super hard to get pads to heal & often the blister our deep cracks have formed before you know it. Also don't let your dog walk on hot cement or asphalt after seining for a long period of time, their pads are tender after being in water for extended periods. If your can't walk in it barefooted then you need to think if your dog should.

·
Registered
427 Posts
When my youngest kid was little he hated to wear shoes or socks. He always took them off and run around barefoot, on cement, asphalt and gravel ... and we lived in Saudi Arabia with temperatures often well over 110*F. Dog's are used to walk "barefoot" and have much tougher feet than us (just like my kid got when he was always barefoot).
Having said that, if the dog seems to be uncomfortable they need to get off the hot area ... or wear 'shoes' for protection, but they can handle so much more than our pampered feet can.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sensitive to dogs being on hot cement too much because 2yr ago Chloe split her pads on both back feet from too much time playing on hot, sightseeing asphalt at a daycare she used to go to occasionally. Its a real issue.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Two summers ago my one Sister's Boyfriend who is a first time dog owner took his GSD mix for a summers walk on hot blacktop (asphalt) and burned the pads of his dogs feet severely. Poor dog took forever to heal.

Lesson learned the hard way for poor Buster! :(

·
Registered
751 Posts
Its something people don't think about sadly, sometimes it kicks in right away with me other times it takes a few moments to say hey thats hot!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts