Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
He still looks on the heavy side to me. It's good you can feel rib, but even a blocky dog should have a tighter tuck up towards his abdomen and a slightly more defined waist. It also looks like he might be carrying some weight around his neck - many dogs get a bit of 'neck roll' when they're over their ideal weight.

I think I touched on it before, but you do have a dog that's a mix of two 'easy keeper' breeds, notorious for putting on weight like crazy. He may well have a slower metabolism than many breeds, and need less food than average. I'd try cutting his portions down a smidge each meal (if you usually fill to the top of a 1/3 cup measure, try filling to just below) and see if there's any results.

I own a poodle - so classic deep chest, high tuck, defined waist - and a lagotto - a much blockier curly-coated breed - so I do know the differences in body type can make things tricky. Your boy is certainly not obese, but my (totally amateur) opinion of the photos is he could stand to have some weight shaved off for his own health and longevity.

·
Registered
585 Posts
ONLY 20-30 minutes of walking each day.......

My mini-schnauzer and I are out walking at least 3X each day for a combined walking time of nearly 2-3 hours.

I'd suggest to take a simple approach.
Reduce his food by about 10%
Increase his exercise by about 20-30 minutes for more than 1 walk each day.

His true body shape will emerge and his proper weight.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I only recently moved him to wet food, since some suggested it might keep them more full vs kibble.

I used to feed him dry kibble 3 times per day (each 1/3 cup) if i remember right. 1 cup = 390 kcal.

The wet food i found here (we dont have many options unfortunately) the best one i found was this (94% lamb, 4% peas)

I do walk him daily, once for 20-30 mins. We play ball later at night , a few fetch rounds.

Sometimes he just gets lazy and does not want to go for walks.

But most importantly is the rib feeling right? I do immediately feel it with some little skin layer (not a thick layer).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually Kibble keeps a dog/cat feeling fuller then a wet/raw food as it digests easier & quicker, to lose weight the wet can food is better as kibble is higher in Carbohydrates....He will lose weight coming from a kibble diet to a wet can diet I boil rice & sweet Potato & I add to my cat wet can food to keep her feeling fuller longer & I feed her 3 smaller meals a day same time everyday so her body gets use to her eating same time & doesn't store fat.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Until i figure out a way to get good brand foods .. should i order any supplements? Multivitamin, probiotic or omega.. just anything to help keep him healthy always

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 24 of 24 Posts