Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i have a 6yr old Frengle (Beagle/french bulldog mix) - neutered.
I know he’s more on the overweight side but I was hoping to get insights from you guys looking at photos. Regarding ideal weight, no Vet was able to identify the right weight since he is a mix breed. For example some say ideal weight for beagles or Frenchies is 29lbs. (Which i cant really believe)

My dog is currently around: 39lbs

He’s on a strict diet: 1 pack of wet food (150grams) per day. I split his meal in 3, since he always wants more.

We’re currently on 24h lockdown due to corona, which means I can’t take him out on our daily 20-40min walks. Also vets are closed!! Which is weird!

When touching his ribs, i do feel a layer of fat, but i can immediately feel the ribs. I know some say if you feel the rib it’s ok.. but it’s subjective. Which leaves me with your help on the photos below.

Thank you so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi Looking at the photo Id say hes a bit on the porky side but not yet obese. (Ive seen some terrible photos when we talk of beagles). If you cant get out what about playing games? build a mini agility course we used one at doggy training to improve balance and listening skills.. or maybe just a slow game of fetch rolling a ball or other toy anything to keep him moving at home if he cant be moving outside.

I convert from kilos but I get an average of 22lbs for a frenchie /beagle mix, it all depends on your dogs body shape./height

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Looking at the photo Id say hes a bit on the porky side but not yet obese. (Ive seen some terrible photos when we talk of beagles). If you cant get out what about playing games? build a mini agility course we used one at doggy training to improve balance and listening skills.. or maybe just a slow game of fetch rolling a ball or other toy anything to keep him moving at home if he cant be moving outside.

I convert from kilos but I get an average of 22lbs for a frenchie /beagle mix, it all depends on your dogs body shape./height
Thank you for responding. Yes, i try to move him around/play as much as possible. He’s super spoiled with many toys... and as u know spoiled dogs just keep wanting new toys, bored from the old lol.

I use kilos too. So last weighing was 18kg. The number is high, however each dog/breed/mix may vary.. that’s why im trying to get feedback from photos

·
Registered
241 Posts
Ok this was my pure bred beagle Benny at 17 kilos/ not the greatest of photos but I didnt expect to be using it as an example.. He was 15 in this photo so the muscle tone is slightly less than 100% even so there wasnt any spare fat on him. Diet also has a lot to play in size/fat/muscle Benny was fed part dry and part raw. 1meal a day of each

George on the other hand is supersized hes 2yrs old and 49cm tall but he weighs nearly 21kilos and looks much thinner than Benny did. (I dont think George is pure beagle) but he runs a lot and is fed raw.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok this was my pure bred beagle Benny at 17 kilos/ not the greatest of photos but I didnt expect to be using it as an example.. He was 15 in this photo so the muscle tone is slightly less than 100% even so there wasnt any spare fat on him. Diet also has a lot to play in size/fat/muscle Benny was fed part dry and part raw. 1meal a day of each View attachment 262363

George on the other hand is supersized hes 2yrs old and 49cm tall but he weighs nearly 21kilos and looks much thinner than Benny did. (I dont think George is pure beagle) but he runs a lot and is fed raw. View attachment 262366
Beautiful pups! And thank you that’s reassuring.. so over 10kg for a beagle is not necessarily overweight then

·
Registered
241 Posts
no it really depends on the beagle and let's face it everybody has a little bit of a different body build so that also needs to be taken into consideration. One tip I used to use when my children were small and got bored with their toys. gather up all the toys and then put them randomly into two baskets on week one give basket one , at the end of the week take away all the toys and give basket two , leave those toys for one week at the end of the second week gather up all of the toys from both baskets and divide them again into two piles so that you have an ever-changing basket of toys even though you're not buying anything new.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no it really depends on the beagle and let's face it everybody has a little bit of a different body build so that also needs to be taken into consideration. One tip I used to use when my children were small and got bored with their toys. gather up all the toys and then put them randomly into two baskets on week one give basket one , at the end of the week take away all the toys and give basket two , leave those toys for one week at the end of the second week gather up all of the toys from both baskets and divide them again into two piles so that you have an ever-changing basket of toys even though you're not buying anything new.
Ah good strategy. I’ll try doing that. Thanks a lot! Appreciate the help

·
Registered
544 Posts
In my opinion.....he is heavier than he should be. There is a nearly imperceptible waist and no tuck up in the belly area.

I can't speak about the Covid-19 restrictions in your country. I can say that I am walking my dog 3X each day for about 2+ hours. We avoid interaction with other people or pets. My dog gained weight when I moved to USA due to the change in diet. I have reduce his food intake from 3/4 cup each day by about 10%. He is regaining his mini-schnauzer shape. His healthy weight is 6.2 kg. He had pudged up to 6.5 kg. I know, its only 0.3 kg, but it really shows on a dog this size.

Assuming your Vet is correct and your dog should be at 29 kg, but is currently at 39 kg. Then your dog is roughly 33% heavier than "normal".

Are you sure you can not walk the dog. If you can walk, then use a 2 m leash, wear your mask and avoid other people and pets. Dogs need the exercise.

If not possible to take a walk, then I'd suggest to reduce his calorie intake.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In my opinion.....he is heavier than he should be. There is a nearly imperceptible waist and no tuck up in the belly area.

I can't speak about the Covid-19 restrictions in your country. I can say that I am walking my dog 3X each day for about 2+ hours. We avoid interaction with other people or pets. My dog gained weight when I moved to USA due to the change in diet. I have reduce his food intake from 3/4 cup each day by about 10%. He is regaining his mini-schnauzer shape. His healthy weight is 6.2 kg. He had pudged up to 6.5 kg. I know, its only 0.3 kg, but it really shows on a dog this size.

Assuming your Vet is correct and your dog should be at 29 kg, but is currently at 39 kg. Then your dog is roughly 33% heavier than "normal".

Are you sure you can not walk the dog. If you can walk, then use a 2 m leash, wear your mask and avoid other people and pets. Dogs need the exercise.

If not possible to take a walk, then I'd suggest to reduce his calorie intake.
So neither vets suggested an ideal weight for my mix. The 29lbs is what i gathered from google - for beagles and Frenchies, but no ideal weight to find for my Frengle.

Yeah, the lockdown here as of today is 24h no one allowed to leave home, otherwise you’ll be fined. Harsh measures but it’s for the best.

When i look at dog weight charts. Usually obese shows even the belly and chest are aligned (side view). My dogs chest is slightly lower than belly, so that’s a good thing right?

Also, top view, you kind of see a small waist line right before the tail. Obese charts normall show when back and tail is round with no waist whatsoever.. something like this

His top view looks like chart #4, however, side view is not as aligned as #4. Maybe i see it differently from his photos

·
Registered
241 Posts
I wasnt thinking of charts but the combined body shape of the two breeds..
This is a pure frenchie
they are a bt boxy..

Id even say this beagle was boxy and this one is a winner..

If you can imagine the two mixed the result is not going to be as defined as the chart, or even as George because I think theres more hound in him ,,

just keep an eye on it dont let him get any bigger and enjoy him once lockdown is over look to improving his walking times so that he can get trim.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wasnt thinking of charts but the combined body shape of the two breeds..
This is a pure frenchie View attachment 262367 they are a bt boxy..

Id even say this beagle was boxy and this one is a winner.. View attachment 262368

If you can imagine the two mixed the result is not going to be as defined as the chart, or even as George because I think theres more hound in him ,, View attachment 262370

just keep an eye on it dont let him get any bigger and enjoy him once lockdown is over look to improving his walking times so that he can get trim.
Yeah, his body shape is similar to the frenchie image. Boxy

·
Registered
217 Posts
Don't go by - he should weigh x pounds, go by his condition. In your pics he looks a bit overweight - no tuck back by the waist in the profile pic. By your chart, overweight, not obese. When you run your hands over his sides, there's supposed to be only a thin layer of flesh over the ribs. That means you shouldn't have to press your fingers in to feel those ribs. Unless you're talking huge amounts of exercise, it does't affect weight that much. Food does.

I also wouldn't judge by pictures of show dogs. A lot of show dogs are kept deliberately overweight. Maybe it hides faults, maybe it's just the in style look.

Also don't feed per instructions of some bag of kibble. I have 2 Rottie bitches that weigh the same. One is a heavyset girl and needs only 75% of recommended food to maintain weight. The other is leggier and of a more nervous temperament and needs 150%. I have to be firm with myself to control the feeling I'm cheating the one come meal time and not balloon her up slipping her extra. Your guy's build is a lot like my heavy girl.

I know people who when dieting a dog substitute green beans for the amount of food they cut back so the dog still feels full. Have never done that myself and I don't know if you can get such a thing in coronavirus shutdown.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't go by - he should weigh x pounds, go by his condition. In your pics he looks a bit overweight - no tuck back by the waist in the profile pic. By your chart, overweight, not obese. When you run your hands over his sides, there's supposed to be only a thin layer of flesh over the ribs. That means you shouldn't have to press your fingers in to feel those ribs. Unless you're talking huge amounts of exercise, it does't affect weight that much. Food does.

I also wouldn't judge by pictures of show dogs. A lot of show dogs are kept deliberately overweight. Maybe it hides faults, maybe it's just the in style look.

Also don't feed per instructions of some bag of kibble. I have 2 Rottie bitches that weigh the same. One is a heavyset girl and needs only 75% of recommended food to maintain weight. The other is leggier and of a more nervous temperament and needs 150%. I have to be firm with myself to control the feeling I'm cheating the one come meal time and not balloon her up slipping her extra. Your guy's build is a lot like my heavy girl.

I know people who when dieting a dog substitute green beans for the amount of food they cut back so the dog still feels full. Have never done that myself and I don't know if you can get such a thing in coronavirus shutdown.
So when feeling his ribs, i dont have to press hard to feel them. I can feel them immediately. Yes slight skin/fat over but i feel them as soon as i brush my hands

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
It really does not matter that much what cross he is, you judge their weight by what their body looks like, not what the parents weigh. Even purebreds vary in weight depending on their size and build as they are not all exactly the same.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It really does not matter that much what cross he is, you judge their weight by what their body looks like, not what the parents weigh. Even purebreds vary in weight depending on their size and build as they are not all exactly the same.
That’s good to know. I shouldn’t tell by weight, but by looks. That’s why i posted his photos to see feedback as i cant really tell. :(

·
Registered
28 Posts
You asked this same question several months ago.
Your dog is still fat. You are still feeding him too much and exercising him to little.
Look for a lower calorie food, feed less and exercise more.
It's actually pretty simple.

Being overweight is not healthy for your dog. It's hard on their joints and can cause stress on their heart & lungs as well. Most people are so used to seeing fat, overweight dogs that they thing fit dogs are skinny.
This is my dog. She weighed 38 lbs in this photo. She SHOULD weigh 36 lbs. I've told people she's fat and they don't believe me, then they try to feel her ribs...and are shocked because while she LOOKS lean, she has quite a layer over her ribs. I cut her food down a TINY bit, maybe 1 tablespoon her meal and the weight came off in about a month.
She only needed to drop 2 lbs. Your dog needs to drop more than that.

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
Let's not get carried away. A fit greyhound and a fit Frenchie are going to look very different, and the OP's dog is Frenchie style. While he should have some tummy tuck toward the hind legs, his profile shouldn't match that of breeds built very differently.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Let's not get carried away. A fit greyhound and a fit Frenchie are going to look very different, and the OP's dog is Frenchie style. While he should have some tummy tuck toward the hind legs, his profile shouldn't match that of breeds built very differently.
I totally get that. My point is, most people are so used to seeing overweight dogs, they don't think anything about it. Yet they see a fit dog and think it's skinny.
The OP made this same post about 10 months ago and got some good advice, yet nothing has changed, her dog is still fat.
Fat dogs is a pet peeve of mine. It's not hard to see, and even easier to feel, your dog getting overweight. There is absolutely no reason for a dog to be 5-10 lbs overweight. Especially a small/medium size dog.

When my oldest dog was younger, her ideal weight was 68 lbs, and it was easy to see just a 1 or 2 lb increase in her. (she's almost 15 years old now, and is closer to 60 lbs, but has lost a lot of muscle tone) I had her at the vet one year, she has managed to hit 71 lbs. Vet said she was okay, but probably shouldn't gain any more. I told the vet that I preferred her at 66-67 lbs for agility and she was actually shocked because it's so unusual for people to realize their dogs are getting heavy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know he’s more on the overweight side but I was hoping to get insights from you guys looking at photos. Regarding ideal weight, no Vet was able to identify the right weight since he is a mix breed. For example some say ideal weight for beagles or Frenchies is 29lbs. (Which i cant really believe)

He’s on a strict diet:

He’s on a strict diet: 1 pack of wet food (150grams) per day. I split his meal in 3, since he always wants more.

We’re currently on 24h lockdown due to corona, which means I can’t take him out on our daily 20-40min walks. Also vets are closed!! Which is weird!

When touching his ribs, i do feel a layer of fat, but i can immediately feel the ribs. I know some say if you feel the rib it’s ok.. but it’s subjective. Which leaves me with your help on the photos below.

Thank you so much!

. I split his meal in 3, since he always wants more.

Thank you so much!

Hi what does he eat?? what is the fat% in his wet can remember wet can raw dog & cat foods fat protein fiber % hasnt been converted to dry mattter like kibble has

Thank you so much!

Hi what is he eating??? RAW WET CAN food you just write (1 pack of wet food (150grams) per day)
wet can raw pet foods their Protein % Fat% Fiber % etc has not been converted to dry matter like a dry kibble has so if it says say 5% fat min when you convert to dry matter I times teh fat % x by 5 for 5% min fat is around 25%min to 30% max fat it all depends on the moisture, under 78% moisture will be lower fat if the moisture is over 78% moisture then teh fat max % will be higher..
Does he go on daily walks?play ball for 20mins twice a day same time, my boy goes on 2 daily walks same time every day, he eats the same time, walks around the same time, so his brain/body knows I get feed & doesn't store any fat..
Look at the Kcals per cup=Calories they should be under 360Kcals per cup.. no higher.

I'd change his diet, a dogs diet should be rotated you rotate low calorie foods feed a few different brands & you shouldn't feed the same brand of dog food just in case something is wrong with it or it isn't balanced properly etc..

Look at feeding him low fat lean chicken breast, turkey, pork, lean white meats, a high protein diet, feed low carbs, healthy vegetables,fish, sweet potato, add peas, beans when he's hungry & remove a few spoons of his dog food..
add tin Salmon 1-2 spoons this help balance dogs diet & Salmon is excellent for skin, coat, eyes, brain, joints, bones, beans & peas are really good they make them feel full & not put on any weight.
I buy tin Tuna or Salmon in spring water, I drain the water, mash the salmon & the salmon bone is healthy, I add 1/2 boiled sweet potato, about 1/4 a cup tin can chickpeas no salt, I wash the chickpeas & peel shell off, I also add some boiled carrot, I mash everything all together & feed this meal for lunch, there's enough for 2 days can even feed some for his dinner...
Start going on walks, keep him active.. We are aloud in Australia to exercise - walk our dogs we do not have complete lock down, we can go food shops but only when needed, work, Dr, Vets & exercise walks..

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi what does he eat?? what is the fat% in his wet can remember wet can raw dog & cat foods fat protein fiber % hasnt been converted to dry mattter like kibble has

Hi what is he eating??? RAW WET CAN food you just write (1 pack of wet food (150grams) per day)
wet can raw pet foods their Protein % Fat% Fiber % etc has not been converted to dry matter like a dry kibble has so if it says say 5% fat min when you convert to dry matter I times teh fat % x by 5 for 5% min fat is around 25%min to 30% max fat it all depends on the moisture, under 78% moisture will be lower fat if the moisture is over 78% moisture then teh fat max % will be higher..
Does he go on daily walks?play ball for 20mins twice a day same time, my boy goes on 2 daily walks same time every day, he eats the same time, walks around the same time, so his brain/body knows I get feed & doesn't store any fat..
Look at the Kcals per cup=Calories they should be under 360Kcals per cup.. no higher.

I'd change his diet, a dogs diet should be rotated you rotate low calorie foods feed a few different brands & you shouldn't feed the same brand of dog food just in case something is wrong with it or it isn't balanced properly etc..

Look at feeding him low fat lean chicken breast, turkey, pork, lean white meats, a high protein diet, feed low carbs, healthy vegetables,fish, sweet potato, add peas, beans when he's hungry & remove a few spoons of his dog food..
add tin Salmon 1-2 spoons this help balance dogs diet & Salmon is excellent for skin, coat, eyes, brain, joints, bones, beans & peas are really good they make them feel full & not put on any weight.
I buy tin Tuna or Salmon in spring water, I drain the water, mash the salmon & the salmon bone is healthy, I add 1/2 boiled sweet potato, about 1/4 a cup tin can chickpeas no salt, I wash the chickpeas & peel shell off, I also add some boiled carrot, I mash everything all together & feed this meal for lunch, there's enough for 2 days can even feed some for his dinner...
Start going on walks, keep him active.. We are aloud in Australia to exercise - walk our dogs we do not have complete lock down, we can go food shops but only when needed, work, Dr, Vets & exercise walks..
I only recently moved him to wet food, since some suggested it might keep them more full vs kibble.

I used to feed him dry kibble 3 times per day (each 1/3 cup) if i remember right. 1 cup = 390 kcal.

The wet food i found here (we dont have many options unfortunately) the best one i found was this (94% lamb, 4% peas)

I do walk him daily, once for 20-30 mins. We play ball later at night , a few fetch rounds.

Sometimes he just gets lazy and does not want to go for walks.

But most importantly is the rib feeling right? I do immediately feel it with some little skin layer (not a thick layer).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts