Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I have had dogs all my life but have never run into this problem. I have a Chihuahua that I house trained myself with no problems. My girlfriend decided she was going to get a dog for her daughter and asked me to help train it since I am at her house on a regular basis and have experience with training dogs. I agreed. She went to the local shelter and they picked out a very sweet 11 month old Yellow Lab mix. She is a very nice dog, a little skittish at times (I think she may have been abused) but overall a great dog.

So here's our problem. This dog refuses to "do its business" in front of anyone. We take the dog for walks, to the park, take it outside and it will NOT go, no matter how often we take it out. This dog does not try and mark its territory or anything. It's like the dog holds it all day and all evening long until we leave for work(we crate her now) or go to sleep where it will defecate on the floor and urinate on my girlfriends daughters backpack or by one of the doors. I don't want to crate her at night because I'm afraid she will never go and it will make her sick. I just feel like I'm fighting a losing battle here and my girlfriends getting fed up with it. Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Thank you for your time,
Kyle

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I am in the same boat as you! Lol! :) I was just given the advice by a great dog trainer on here ... to try and stake out (responsibly) an area away from the house where I can still see my little Eddee without him seeing me. He is potty shy. It is probably one of the reasons he was an owner surrender ..........

I have trained many a dog myself .... and my new little shelter dog is by far the hardest dog I have ever dealt with. I have had him for 4 months now .... he still wants to poo in front of my toilet when my back is turned. Yep ... I do watch him like a hawk ... but this guy is QUICK! :D

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
She's very likely been punished for going indoors and the lesson she learned was "don't ever do that in front of humans. ever. even outside." (Which is the problem with punishments, you never know what the dog will learn.) If you can't do what Abbylynn, well actually wvasko, suggested, do what I did with Kabota: Whenever you reach a likely looking spot, turn around and ignore the dog for a full 60 seconds. That would allow Kabota to go and eventually I started turning around while he was in the middle of going, but didn't look at him and eventually worked my way up to giving him a treat. (Treating was at first too much attention during potty.)

At night, baby gate her in the kitchen or put her in the bathroom. Anyplace with easily cleanable floors, not where she can pee on backpacks and such.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I have had dogs all my life but have never run into this problem. I have a Chihuahua that I house trained myself with no problems. My girlfriend decided she was going to get a dog for her daughter and asked me to help train it since I am at her house on a regular basis and have experience with training dogs. I agreed. She went to the local shelter and they picked out a very sweet 11 month old Yellow Lab mix. She is a very nice dog, a little skittish at times (I think she may have been abused) but overall a great dog.

So here's our problem. This dog refuses to "do its business" in front of anyone. We take the dog for walks, to the park, take it outside and it will NOT go, no matter how often we take it out. This dog does not try and mark its territory or anything. It's like the dog holds it all day and all evening long until we leave for work(we crate her now) or go to sleep where it will defecate on the floor and urinate on my girlfriends daughters backpack or by one of the doors. I don't want to crate her at night because I'm afraid she will never go and it will make her sick. I just feel like I'm fighting a losing battle here and my girlfriends getting fed up with it. Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Thank you for your time,
Kyle

Maybe he got yelled at or hit for having an accident in the house, and now he's scared to go in front of anyone :( Just put an ex-pen in the yard where you want him to go, and then watch him from a distance. Once he goes, praise immediately and play with him/take him for a walk. As he builds confidence and trust in you and your family, slowly start decreasing the distance.

Please never use harsh corrections or punishments on him. You may not know his history, and he needs a lot more love and trust than training at his point.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
A 50 foot long line along a country road might be a good thing to try. Plan on a 30 minute walk? Do this a few times a day for a few day. Might get you over the "hump" and get the dog to understand that you aren't going to turn on him.

Try tall grass if at all possible. Or a fence line. My male insists on one or the other.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts