Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog is bored and I have tried training her to do things but we only have "Sit" down pat- I am discouraged!

Can someone suggest the best task to teach her next? Or some games we can play besides tug of war and 'hide the treat'?

She's a terrier mutt, very meek but sweet- until recently I've been a student and though we walk for hours and she plays her heart out at daycare, I wonder if I am doing enough to enrich her life when we are home for the day or evening

Thx

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Have you thought about doing a basic obedience class? It will help teach you how to train her and she'll learn many more commands like Down and Stay.

Daycare and walks sound awesome for her! She's being exercised and socialized which are two extremely important parts of having a dog. When you're at home you can work on basic training and manners. Usually my dogs sleep in the evenings as they've been playing all day.

You can look into doing a sport like agility, disc dog, flyball, or something like that . How old is she? You want to make sure you don't do too much if she is young and still growing.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
How old is she? Hide the treat can be very rewarding, if you turn it into incrementally, increasingly difficult nosework. Hide hings in slightly more difficult spots, have her guess which hand you're hiding a treat. Get a Buster Cube and let her push it around.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Don't feed her from a bowl, use a feeding toy like a Kong or Tug a Jug instead. Get a few different toys and rotate. Or, if she's not a really big chewer, put the food in a towel, and then knot the towel around the food. You can make the knots tighter and add more knots as she gets better at it.

You can make a flirt pole using a broomstick, twine and a chew toy. (A flirt pole is just like that fishing pole toy for cats, but sturdier.)

Sit is a great basic command, but using a clicker, you can train almost anything pretty easily, and clicker training is great for all dogs, especially meek/timid dogs. There are lots of youtube videos on clicker training. You could move on to down, stay, high five, spin, bark on command, and play dead.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts