Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,271 Posts
The term troll is so often over used ad nauseam. It's the new "in word" meant only to insult the intended and it's found in every forum on the net as another way to cyber bully and I'm glad to see its use curtailed here. But it seems okay for Ron to call someone that may pose a question as being "just plain stupid". Saying such is just as bad as calling someone a troll. But unfortunately it's a moderator, from what I can gather, that's saying this which makes it even worse. Even if you were thinking that why would you actually type it. I would like to think a moderator would have more finesse when speaking on behalf of a website.
I'd also like to think that a new forum user would take the time to read the forum rules, particularly the one about not calling out or arguing with mods regarding their decisions and actions as moderators.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I'm one of the people who was banned for using the t-word. As a Terry Pratchett fan, I'm rather fond of trolls, and was using the word almost playfully. I was shocked and hurt by being banned.

The post in question was taken down and my memory isn't particularly good, but I think I simply asked the poster if they were for real or whether they were a tr###. I think the poster was taking an anti-vaccination stand. My intent was not to moderate, but to encourage both the poster and the respondents to consider whether or not the discussion was about the subject, or rather about someone seeking attention by espousing a viewpoint that they knew would get people's dander up. I had no idea I was transgressing.

Would it be ok to use the long form and ask: "Do you really believe this, or are you just putting forward and defending the idea to get a reaction?" ?

There are tr###s out there, and I think they can do their thing without breaking any rules. For example, it would be tr###ish to voice the opinion that all pit bulls should be euth'd, or that you can't train a dog without strong aversives, not because you believe it, but to watch the furious reaction such a statement would provoke. Should such behaviors be reported?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Yes I think they can sometimes get a little extreme with the rules around here, they always seem to be adding them as they go along :/
My guess is that it's knee jerk reaction to routine scan for banned words. PITA as in pain in the backside. One more mindless set of controls. I wonder if the moderators are even reading the reactions in this thread. Hello moderators. Are you reading?

·
Super Moderator
7,271 Posts
I'm one of the people who was banned for using the t-word. As a Terry Pratchett fan, I'm rather fond of trolls, and was using the word almost playfully. I was shocked and hurt by being banned.

The post in question was taken down and my memory isn't particularly good, but I think I simply asked the poster if they were for real or whether they were a tr###. I think the poster was taking an anti-vaccination stand. My intent was not to moderate, but to encourage both the poster and the respondents to consider whether or not the discussion was about the subject, or rather about someone seeking attention by espousing a viewpoint that they knew would get people's dander up. I had no idea I was transgressing.

Would it be ok to use the long form and ask: "Do you really believe this, or are you just putting forward and defending the idea to get a reaction?" ?

There are tr###s out there, and I think they can do their thing without breaking any rules. For example, it would be tr###ish to voice the opinion that all pit bulls should be euth'd, or that you can't train a dog without strong aversives, not because you believe it, but to watch the furious reaction such a statement would provoke. Should such behaviors be reported?
Just like our rules regarding swearing, it is still considered troll calling, even if you don't actually use the word "troll".
I think I simply asked the poster if they were for real or whether they were a tr###.
is still troll calling, as is this
Would it be ok to use the long form and ask: "Do you really believe this, or are you just putting forward and defending the idea to get a reaction?"
If you suspect someone of trolling, REPORT it, that is what the report button is for. Instead of being hurt, you should be grateful you only got a two day ban, as the usual length is much, much longer for this offense, and you chose to accuse a poster of trolling on a thread ABOUT troll calling being against the rules!

Yes I think they can sometimes get a little extreme with the rules around here, they always seem to be adding them as they go along :/
If you have proof of this, post it, otherwise, I'd be EXTREMELY cautious of making accusations like this against the mods here. I have been a mod for a couple of years now, and a member for about 7, and no new rules have been "made up" in that time.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Just like our rules regarding swearing, it is still considered troll calling, even if you don't actually use the word "troll". is still troll calling, as is this If you suspect someone of trolling, REPORT it, that is what the report button is for. Instead of being hurt, you should be grateful you only got a two day ban, as the usual length is much, much longer for this offense, and you chose to accuse a poster of trolling on a thread ABOUT troll calling being against the rules!

If you have proof of this, post it, otherwise, I'd be EXTREMELY cautious of making accusations like this against the mods here. I have been a mod for a couple of years now, and a member for about 7, and no new rules have been "made up" in that time.
Not accusing, just making an observation, not trying to start anything either. I have to say that I particularly agree with the rule saying that people cant disagree with mods. Does this encompase everything they say or just things pertaining to the rules? On that I am confused.

·
Super Moderator
7,271 Posts
Not accusing, just making an observation, not trying to start anything either. I have to say that I particularly agree with the rule saying that people cant disagree with mods. Does this encompase everything they say or just things pertaining to the rules? On that I am confused.
When you state that the mods "make the rules up as they go along", you ARE making an accusation, and a pretty serious one at that, so again, be very careful about what kinds of accusations you make against the mods here. Those sorts of statements are not going to be tolerated. If you have a specific complaint about a mod acting irresponsibly, contact the admin.

I'm pretty sure we've always made it very clear that the no arguing with mods rule pertains only to their actions in their official roles as mods, enforcing forum rules.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.