Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a forum that only wants to hear then thing's they agree with.
If you have other idea's then don't say them or they will ban you.
This is the truth.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Sometimes it just goes that way. My male and my sons male were absolutely the best mates growing up and nothing pleased them more than a game of chase around our yard. It was great to see them having a ball. But then they matured and the testosterone came into play and it evolved into a game of catch me if you can, but watch out if you catch me. Now we have to keep them seperated when they visit. My male even growls at my son as he associates him with his ex mate.

·
Banned
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
This is the truth.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I had a similar problem with a small, intact border collie. My lab mix was fixed at 6 mos and played with a border collie half his size. When the border collie hit about 8 mos, he started to brutalize my dog, he was too small to do any damage, but he clearly wasn't playing. And, after that incident, the border collie wouldn't play with anyone.

I don't think it is only being intact, b/c my dog can play with intact Pit Bulls and Labs with no issues... unless things get too excited, then I have to calm things down before they escalate...

But, I think you might find other playmates ...

·
Banned
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
This is the truth.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Lots of people have multiple dogs, but I think having playmates at two different families works out better, maybe because of the novelty... but just my two cents.

·
Banned
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
This is the truth.

·
Registered
180 Posts
we had the same problem last week at our play time. Loki is probably pushing 50+ lbs, and we go play with two labs and a Suluki (sp) and everyone gets along great! Then we introduced a miniature schnauzer - not my ideal situation - but we were assured he would be fine with the big dogs. ...Was he ever ... he wanted to rule the roost! And Loki just wanted to play with him - growling snarling, barking, I pulled Loki away and tried to get him to go play with the lab.... not a chance. Loki ONLY wanted to play with the little dog who is an a** hole. And the kicker .... I was told Loki was too rough! Needless to say we wont be going again if the little guy is there ... I just dont want to deal with that. OH ... and they were all fixed with the exception of Loki who will be getting his appointment soon.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Labs are great for playing with rough dogs, as long they have Bite Inhibition. Pits play roughly also, but if they get excited, they tend to chomp down too hard. Keep them below threshold and they're fine. You might find some other dogs with the same energy level as yours...

·
Banned
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
This is the truth.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts