Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like I am doing something wrong.
My puppy is 11 weeks old.

I have a puppy pen that has a bed and some toys. I use that if I need too (if he needs a nap or if I need to get some work done, etc.).
I have also created a larger space that effectively keeps him from being able to move freely all over my 1st floor. I have an open floor plan, so I bought some extra fencing that blocks him from moving too freely.

So, when he is in this larger area, he has plenty of room and plenty of toys to play with, but instead he just will ignore those toys really quickly and whine to come sit in the chair with me. But he doesn't sit with me. He just wants to chew on me or my shirt or whatever toy I might grab so that he won't chew on me. I don't mind him being with me, but I'd really like to see him have some independence and play with the toys he has down on the floor.

I finally get tired of the constant battle (redirecting the chewing/puppy biting from me to toys) while on my lap in the chair and I will put him in the smaller play area. He doesn't play in there, he'll just go to sleep.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I don't mind him being with me, but I'd really like to see him have some independence and play with the toys he has down on the floor.
You seriously expect that baby puppy to somehow be invigorated with those lifeless, inanimate objects called toys when there is an intriguing, animate playmate (you!) nearby? He's smarter than that LOL!

Lead your puppy on adventures! Have him follow/chase you around to capture a toy! Then get him to climb on some obstacles, boxes or ramps or pillows or benches or boulders; anything new! Get him excited to chase a rag on a string! Lure him with treats into basic positions like sit and down and heel. No commands yet, just lure and reward, lure and reward.

The trick is to lead the puppy to do what you want, so he doesn't get bored and think up his own activities. And the beauty of it is it will really tire him out and he'll want to nap - so you can do your zoom meeting, or other work unmolested by his constant pestering!

At this age puppies don't ever want to sit still, let alone with their favorite playmate. Adventure and play first, then rest for both!

·
Registered
Cat-dog, GSD spayed female and Tornado-dog, JRT mix, neutered male
1,225 Posts
Puppies are needy. They naturally have their siblings with them all the time for 4+ months. We humans pull them away from those siblings at 2 months and expect them to be independent.

He is going to want to be with you all the time. And he's going to want you to interact with him all the time. It's fine to give him time outs in his pen when you can't give him the attention, but the rest of the time you need to give him that interaction. Throw a stuffed toy across the room for him while you watch the news, play a bit of tug of war while he hangs out next to you.

The more attention you give him now, the more secure he'll feel when he gets older.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Oh my gosh! been there and I feel your frustration. It WILL get better. but like everyone is telling you, puppies are a lot of work. And you're the one doing all that work. I think people refer to it as the "puppy blues". I seriously thought I would get a puppy and it would be so cute but I could go about my life as normal. Not the case at all. My puppy is 6 months old and we still give him MOST of our attention. Im sorry! But it does get better. In about 4 months- he calmed down a lot and I can leave him alone for an hour at a time. Crate training helps a lot too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Oh also get toys that he can interact with! like a kong and stuff it with wet food and freeze it. It'll keep him/her occupied for awhile. Also- puzzle games. Anything they can do with the toy and not you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts