Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I am rescuing a dog and have a question about getting a play pen. I work 12 hour days 3-4 days a week, and am usually able to bring my dog with me to work 2 days a week. However the other 1 or 2 she will be left at home. with drive time it ends up being a total of 13 hours. I believe that is too long to leave her in a crate.

She is an adult dog (3 years old) so I am wondering is it possible to puppy pad train an adult dog? Should I get a play pen and lay down paper or get a bottom liner for a play pen?
I could let her run around a room and get one of those indoor dog potty areas with the fake grass but I have serious doubts about a dog using that.
She is 30 pounds, so not a large dog but also not very small.
I could leave her in my bathroom but that would be so boring for her locked in a little bathroom, but I rent my home and don't want to make a mess of the landlords carpets.
I live in Las Vegas so leaving her outside is not an option. Well, I could actually set up a play pen outside for the next week or so but it's getting kind of cold and then it will be VERY hot in the summer.

Any helpful input would be welcome!!!!!!! Thank you!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
The only thing I know is that a 30 lb. dog can knock down an ex-pen and escape. We had to put a heavy end table in our puppy's ex-pen to keep him from doing that. I'm sure there are better ways to secure the pen, but we rent and I didn't want to make holes in the wall to secure it.

Can you hire someone to come over and walk your dog on your long days?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for your response. I didn't even really consider her knocking it over.. because of course MY dog will be perfect :p But I wouldn't want to put hole in the wall for the playpen. hmm.

I can occasionally have someone that will let her out but I can't really count on that being a constant thing. I'm going to look into doggie day care, I'm just nervous about how expensive that will be and if any of them are open at 4am which is when I leave for work on long days

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I pay $15 a day for daycare, and the place doesn't open until 7 a.m.

If there are pet sitters or dog walkers where you live (we don't have any where I live), you could hire one of them to come and walk your dog. A local daycare or vet could give you some names of honest dog lovers who do this for a living.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts