Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I will try more of that then. It just worries me that if he runs off and finds another toy to play with, he doesn't learn it.
You're looking at this all wrong. You should praise him when he goes off and finds something else to chew on or play with. Did you read the article I posted? I mean REALLY read it?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
You're looking at this all wrong. You should praise him when he goes off and finds something else to chew on or play with. Did you read the article I posted? I mean REALLY read it?
I did read it, I guess I just didn't understand that part. I'll read it again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's exactly what my hands and arms look like! I have a blue heeler and we've tried everything to get her to stop the biting. We're hoping classes will help...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
That's exactly what my hands and arms look like! I have a blue heeler and we've tried everything to get her to stop the biting. We're hoping classes will help...
When do you start? We start next wed. I'm hoping the same thing. I try the ouch method and walk away, but nothing has changed. And now he's starting to bite my roommate. I'm so desperate. I love this puppy so much. I don't know what to do.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
When do you start? We start next wed. I'm hoping the same thing. I try the ouch method and walk away, but nothing has changed. And now he's starting to bite my roommate. .
Teaching bite inhibition is NOT a quick fix. You have to remember you are teaching a dog that has an attention span and learning threshold equivalent to a 3 year old human child. So to make this effective, you have to remain consistent and be patient. Have your roommate do the same thing, if he bites too hard, yelp and totally abandon him for a few minutes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 12 week old Malitpoo (well, we think she's just Maltese by the look of her). She chases me and then if I am within her reach she likes to bite on my hands. Sometimes it's light and playful but sometimes it's like she's really trying to break the skin. If I try to ignore her or get away she will bark at me or growl. My boyfriend says "no-no" in a stern voice and she stops. But if I say it, she doesn't. I have to pick her up and hold her in the air till she calms down. When she's not in that chase, growl, bark, bite mood she follows me EVERYwhere. She'll lay on me when i sit down. I'm not sure why she wants to bite me :( lol

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
People please make it easier on yourselves you can buy a cheap pair of leather unlined leather work gloves. This will not help in training but it stops you from bleeding, it gets you through the needle sharp teeth period. You also don't lose temper when hurt. (some people do) Menards, Farm & Fleet and most any hardware store will have them and they are thin so your fingers etc will move properly.

·
Banned
363 Posts
Ok so tapping his nose and head and grabbing his snout doesn't seem to phase him. And I can't make a yelp in a high pitch (deep voice). Tapping him just makes him want to bite harder and harder to the point where it gets almost aggressive. Which really concerns me.
The problem is you need to 'phase him'. Not hurt him but make it sufficiently unpleasant. Otherwise the correction means nothing. Do it more firmly. Stare at him. "No" in a low voice. It will be obvious enough when he gets the message. Most likely he will then respond by submissively licking your hand which should earn him praise. Bite=snout grab/slap/etc; lick = petting. Not that complicated. Then it is just a matter of consistency and patience as he is a puppy.

The happy byproduct is that by dominating him in this little way he will learn to respect you as well, which you seem to be a little unsure about. Thats the real danger here that he is learning to be your boss. Saying "ouch" and running away will not make him respect you.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
puppies should come with a set of these, no?
I'm beginning to wonder if they did whether, anybody would put them on. I have always admitted to not being the brightest bulb in box but doesn't a pr of gloves sound like a plan. I wonder how many pups have been slapped or hit by a reflex action when owner gets play bit. Or even picked up hooked on somebody's hand and then dropped from 3 or 4 ft when they become unhooked. My theory is if puppy bites your glove instead hand with no pain reaction you can do your ouch routine calmly (or whatever program you like) I have never cared about puppy bites as many just phase out as the pup gets older and it's not that big a deal.

Can you imagine the cost of puppies if they came with gloves:D

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Atka has always been good but she was living with her siblings and other dogs until she was alsmot 6 months old when I got her. I used the OWWW and abandonment method to let her know that if she made a mistake and bit me, no matter how slight, it was GAME OVER and TIME OUT. It worked well.

However, the other day we were playing tug and she suddently latched on my arm. I yelled OWWWWW and took the toy and myself and went in the house and shut the door, leaving her outside. I looked thru the window and she stood there with this disappointed expression. I waited about 2 minutes and then called her in and put her on her bed. GAME OVER.

She has been ever so much more careful since this.

I like the gloves. I have used the gloves. If my dog sees the gloves off me she will steal one and run off trying to get a game of chase going. I never oblige her but she gets credit for trying and being original.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Atka has always been good but she was living with her siblings and other dogs until she was alsmot 6 months old when I got her. I used the OWWW and abandonment method to let her know that if she made a mistake and bit me, no matter how slight, it was GAME OVER and TIME OUT. It worked well.

However, the other day we were playing tug and she suddently latched on my arm. I yelled OWWWWW and took the toy and myself and went in the house and shut the door, leaving her outside. I looked thru the window and she stood there with this disappointed expression. I waited about 2 minutes and then called her in and put her on her bed. GAME OVER.

She has been ever so much more careful since this.

I like the gloves. I have used the gloves. If my dog sees the gloves off me she will steal one and run off trying to get a game of chase going. I never oblige her but she gets credit for trying and being original.
I have same problem with slippers.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
The happy byproduct is that by dominating him in this little way he will learn to respect you as well, which you seem to be a little unsure about. Thats the real danger here that he is learning to be your boss. Saying "ouch" and running away will not make him respect you.
Dominate your puppy??? LOL. Teaching bite inhibition has nothing to do with dominating your puppy or trying to gain it's respect. It's about teaching the dog that human skin is fragile and how to be gentle with it's mouth. Staring down your dog is not going to teach your dog anything. You're not a dog, your dog knows you're not a dog, so trying to emulate what a mother dog would do is a complete waste of time.
By saying ouch and leaving the dog alone you are teaching them that when they bite too hard, the fun stops and they get abandoned. It doesn't happen overnight, but it DOES work.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ok I have a new question to add- my rescued girl, Jinx does play biting but it's my whole arm! She doesn't bite down, just puts her mouth on my forearm!!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I had this problem with my Aussie pupster. If he bites now, I yelp like a puppy and then get up and leave him alone. This has worked and made the boy stop his nipping and biting which was ferocious when I first got him. In fact, I am nursing a small bite on my forearm back to health, as we speak!
That's what I've always done, they usually get what a yelp means by instinct. And game over is a decent lesson as well, though I've also used my hand like a dog mouth and nip them like an adult dog would do.

Though I don't mind the biting, I play and wrestle as rough as a dog wants to within reason, a little blood from a little too rough bite or scratch is something I expect playing with an animal with claws and especially needle sharp puppy teeth.

He'll likely grow out of it soon enough, but having you as playmate isn't something to discourage you just need to set the rules and limits where you want them. Going a little too far sometimes seems natural for puppy who is learning the rules of play to me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Blue heeler fan here...they are high energy
and they love to play.

I currently have a 5 month old that's out of
the biting stage when we wrestle. Here's the
approach I've taken with him and another
blue heeler I had years ago.

o "hop, hop" is my queue for us to wrestle. It's on!! :D
o When he starts to get nippy, I'll say "watch it!"
o During play, I will occasionally grab his hind paws when he
is on his back.

o It never fails that a puppy will want to bite something, anything!
o This is when the "paw in the mouth" works great.
o They will learn how much it hurts and how much pressure can really
be applied and they still think it's fun!

o When they bite hard, draw blood, or when I'm just tired,
I say "Done!" and get up.

o If all goes well he gets a treat, a "Good boy" petting, and another
chew toy to continue "his thing."

o If it didn't go so well, he just gets nothing and I walk out.

I hope this helps...ACDs are such fun and intelligent dogs.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I skimmed through the responses but didn't see what worked for us.

Bitter Apple! We have 2 dogs aged 1 and 2. I tried everything with the 2 yr old when she was a puppy but she continued to play bite. We sprayed bitter apple on our hands and the problem was solved.

The second puppy was much better so we didn't have to use the bitter apple.

I put it on the furniture legs, electrical cords, baskets etc every now and then just in case the 1 yr old decides to chew something.

We also sprayed it on our jeans or pj's when Mia was little because she would bite our pants as well.

It made a huge difference for us, try it!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I skimmed through the responses but didn't see what worked for us.

Bitter Apple! We have 2 dogs aged 1 and 2. I tried everything with the 2 yr old when she was a puppy but she continued to play bite. We sprayed bitter apple on our hands and the problem was solved.

The second puppy was much better so we didn't have to use the bitter apple.

I put it on the furniture legs, electrical cords, baskets etc every now and then just in case the 1 yr old decides to chew something.

We also sprayed it on our jeans or pj's when Mia was little because she would bite our pants as well.

It made a huge difference for us, try it!
+1, We used bitter apple years and years ago for a nippy parakeet, and it worked wonders. He became a new bird. I was thinking a few days ago if this would work on a dog... thanks for reminding me of that stuff!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I'm glad this is such a hot topic with so many suggestions. I'm learning that patience is going to go a long way. I'm trying to stick to the ouch method. I was a little concerned as peppy said that he'd think he was getting what he wanted by me leaving. However, he's always been very submissive with me and other people, so I'm not too worried about this causing a lack of respect. However, I do worry that when I pull him off something he's chewing and he tries to bite me and I let go he thinks he wins.

I think (and hope) BoxMeIn is right. Patience and a little blood, but he'll learn. (Puppy class on Wed!)

21 - 40 of 56 Posts