Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Im getting pretty distraught over this one. Everything else is going really well with my 11 wk old pup, except play time. He's got alot of energy. Like ALOT (even after an hour long walk today). So much that I need to put him in his crate when it's time to calm down at night. I don't mind the energy so much, but his bite is really hard and he makes my hand bleed every night when I try to play with him. He's got those needle teeth, and someone told me the bite might be his possible blue heeler in him. He's not being aggressive, just trying to play (I think...). I don't know what I can do to correct this, and to teach him is bite is too hard. We're prolly gonna start puppy training next week, but I feel like I can't wait that long. I've tried holding his snout, I've tried ignoring him. If I ignore him, he just goes off and plays with something else. Doesn't get too bent out of shape. I could use anything on this one. My friend got his hand bit pretty good and I had to take him home because I didn't want him getting hurt. I read an ankle biting post about a spray bottle. could that work? Anything?

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Ok, Im getting pretty distraught over this one. Everything else is going really well with my 11 wk old pup, except play time. He's got alot of energy. Like ALOT (even after an hour long walk today). So much that I need to put him in his crate when it's time to calm down at night. I don't mind the energy so much, but his bite is really hard and he makes my hand bleed every night when I try to play with him. He's got those needle teeth, and someone told me the bite might be his possible blue heeler in him. He's not being aggressive, just trying to play (I think...). I don't know what I can do to correct this, and to teach him is bite is too hard. We're prolly gonna start puppy training next week, but I feel like I can't wait that long. I've tried holding his snout, I've tried ignoring him. If I ignore him, he just goes off and plays with something else. Doesn't get too bent out of shape. I could use anything on this one. My friend got his hand bit pretty good and I had to take him home because I didn't want him getting hurt. I read an ankle biting post about a spray bottle. could that work? Anything?

So if you ignore him he stops?? That's perfect and exactly what you want him to do. You're teaching him that when he uses his mouth too hard all the fun stops. Sounds like your pup is pretty smart.
Read the link below...it will give you more insight on teaching bite inhibition. While this is definitely a phase in puppyhood, you should use this time to teach him how to properly use his mouth.
http://www.jersey.net/~mountaindog/berner1/bitestop.htm

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So if you ignore him he stops?? That's perfect and exactly what you want him to do. You're teaching him that when he uses his mouth too hard all the fun stops.
No, what I meant was I ignore him and he goes to find some fun somewhere else. Doesn't seem to care that I stopped playing with him. He is smart, if not also distracted.

Thanks, I'll check out that link.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I grab their muzzle gently, and tell them no. If they bite too hard and REALLY hut, I'll tap them firmly on the nose.

The "ouch" thing never worked that well for me.
Did that work out pretty well? My hands look like I got into a fight with a cat. He had me bleeding today.

I have a friend of my who has another rough playing dog to going to bring her to play, and I'm hoping she'll help teach him. Other than that, I'm not sure what I'm doing. It almost makes having a puppy not any fun, unless we're on a walk.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I think it's because I don't know how to discipline it. I don't want to hit him, and I know he's just being playing and it's instinctual to him. Believe I'm losing the patience (my hands are pretty sore) and I've been getting pretty down about it. I've only had him for a week, so I'm trying not to be harsh or yell that will hurt the trust i've been trying to build up. He loves me though I can tell. I think he's blue heeler / beagle mix now, and people said it's a blue heeler trait. But surely he can be trained out of biting so hard right?

(sorry bout the lengthy posts... it's a rough subject.)

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I don't think you should get physical or harsh with a baby puppy. Grabbing it's muzzle and telling it "no" doesn't teach the dog how to use it's mouth properly. I think Dr. Dunbar's method (the link I provided) is a much better approach.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
At what point should I be worried about aggression? He just bit me pretty good on the arm when i tried to grad his rope to play. He's always very submissive when he meets new people so I don't sense a dominance thing.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I had this problem with my Aussie pupster. If he bites now, I yelp like a puppy and then get up and leave him alone. This has worked and made the boy stop his nipping and biting which was ferocious when I first got him. In fact, I am nursing a small bite on my forearm back to health, as we speak!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had this problem with my Aussie pupster. If he bites now, I yelp like a puppy and then get up and leave him alone. This has worked and made the boy stop his nipping and biting which was ferocious when I first got him. In fact, I am nursing a small bite on my forearm back to health, as we speak!
How long have you had him and how long did it take to get it under control?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have had this dog for 6 weeks. Last week I got a real nip that bled. Today we went to our first puppy class.

I had stopped the worst biting by yelling "EASY", but yipping like a pup worked much better and I noticed a change in as little as 12 hours. I felt like an idiot because when I yipped, my Aussie Val looked at me as though I "spoke dog" to him and now he knew that he wasn't allowed to bite.

I am nursing a bite that got ripped open again, accidentally by the dog's paw. I am hoping it doesn't become infected. It has a ring of cellulitis around it. Now I am going to make sure that I keep a band-aid on it until it is COMPLETELY healed!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok so tapping his nose and head and grabbing his snout doesn't seem to phase him. And I can't make a yelp in a high pitch (deep voice). Tapping him just makes him want to bite harder and harder to the point where it gets almost aggressive. Which really concerns me.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Ok so tapping his nose and head and grabbing his snout doesn't seem to phase him. And I can't make a yelp in a high pitch (deep voice). Tapping him just makes him want to bite harder and harder to the point where it gets almost aggressive. Which really concerns me.

BoxMein gave you your answer:

So if you ignore him he stops?? That's perfect and exactly what you want him to do. You're teaching him that when he uses his mouth too hard all the fun stops. Sounds like your pup is pretty smart.
Read the link below...it will give you more insight on teaching bite inhibition. While this is definitely a phase in puppyhood, you should use this time to teach him how to properly use his mouth.
http://www.jersey.net/~mountaindog/berner1/bitestop.htm
Grabbing his snout doesn't work, tapping his nose makes him worse, so don't do it. Get up and LEAVE. Game over. When he bites, he loses you, his greatest asset.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts