Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I have a 6 month old mixed breed pup (mostly Cocker Spaniel w/ multiple terrier types) - he is well behaved and trained for the most part, but having real issues with him being 'overly' playful with other dogs, and will continuously chase and yap (playfully) at them in their face/ear! He really does not get the message when they run away or bark at him (it actually encourages him). He is really scaring some other dogs even though he means well.

While I do know being playful is not a major issue, and chances are he will grow out of it, I just wondered if there was any tips on how to get him to stop the yapping?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Why is he with other dogs that are not in his own household? Letting him play with dogs that are not part of his own house is not necessary (some people do have a play group with 2-3 known dogs). If you think that is socialization it is not. I hate that word.. it conveys the wrong message.

Socializing is getting your puppy out and about and teaching him to focus on you and to understand he cannot run up to other dogs and people. In fact, if people want to lean over and pet him or other people want to meet and greet with other dogs the answer from you is No.

Your dog has a puppy pass that is about to run out. One of these days a dog that is sick of the behavior WILL correct him and he may be badly hurt.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts