Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Hope you and all your dogs are doing great.

We booked our Shiba Inu pup last week. It's a red and tan pup.
This isn't my first dog. I have always had a dog until 3 years ago when I decided to do my masters. My university housing didn't allow any pets so I couldn't keep one.
But when I said I have had dogs, it was actually "we" have had dogs because I was living with my parents and there was someone at home always to look after the pup or the dog.

That is where our concerens are now. Now I am living with my girlfriend. We both have full time jobs from 8 to 5.
Okay okay.. I know a lot of you guys don't like people like me keeping dogs because the pup has to be alone during the day. But don't get angry at me.. I also want to have a pup. I am sure there is a way to handle this situation. And that is the exact reason I am here writing this post :)

So, our Shiba Inu (he probably would be named "Cheeni" which means sugar is Hindi) is gonna come to our home on Oct 18th when he'd be 8 weeks old.
Me and my gf, we both have pretty active lifestyles. We get up at 5, go jogging, do yoga and then leave for the office at around 7:30ish. Then after coming back from the office at around 5:00, we go walking around a lake. So taking pup out once in the morning and then 2-3 times in the evening is not at all a problem.
The problem is those 8 long hours when we would be working.

So now you know our situation. Here are a few questions that we have in our minds:

1. Is it possible for us to keep the pup alone for 8 hours?

2. We have talked to a dog walker who would come at around 1:00 in the afternoon and will take the pup out for about half an hour. This seems like a good idea to us too. Your views?

3. The biggest question that we have: What kind of enclosure should we get? Taking all the hours that the pup has to be alone into consideration, do you think we should get a pen instead of a crate? If not, what sized crate shall we get which would be big enough for him to stay comfortable in there for like 4-5 hours in one stretch?

3.5 What kind of base layer do you go with? Our whole apartment is carpeted. So we need something to put under the crate/ pen (whatever you will suggest after reading question 3) and something in the hall or wherever he's playing so that the carpet doesn't get peed or pottied upon.

4. We are planning to go with clicker training (You know how disobedient Shibas can be). Is there anything else that would help train a dog with independent nature? We are reading books, watching DVDs and all to be ready to start training as soon as the pup comes and get comfortable at our house.

5. When we went to see the pup last week, we gave a bed sheet to the owner to keep it with the mom. This is something that my dad used to do whenever he'd get a pup. We also gave a t-shirt that we both have been wearing for a couple of days to the owner to keep with the pup. So when I'd bring that bed sheet back and keep it with the pup, would that have any adverse effect?
I mean to say would the pup keep thinking his mom is somewhere near and instead of interacting with us, would keep looking for his mom? What is your take on this?

6. I should be asking this question to the vet but the vets don't like seeing a dog owner who doesn't have a dog yet. I mean come on.. I am planning and want to have my questions answered. They still wanna charge $50 to talk to me for a few minutes. Anyway, what kind of food shall I buy for him? I need to order that on amazon before he comes to our home. (I have some coupons for dog food on Amazon). I have heard Shiba Inus have grain allergies.

6.5 I'd ask this to vet when we'd have the pup but just to have a general idea: What kind of insurance do you all have? We use American Family for other stuff but don't know if they have pet insurance or not.

I think this is all I can think of at the moment. Sorry for so many questions.
Any comments, help, suggestions would be much much appreciated :)

-Sumer.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
1. It's possible, but it's going to set back housetraining a lot. He will have to pee in his crate/enclosure and that will become a habit.

2. It's better than nothing.

3. A crate for 8 hours with a half hour break is a lot to me, but it's pretty commonly done in the US.

3.5 Depends on whether or not your puppy is inclined, or becomes inclined, to eat things like puppy pads, blankets, etc. I wouldn't leave a puppy alone with stuff like that because I know exactly what it costs to remove that from a dog's stomach, and that's assuming you figure it out in time.

4. Clicker is the best training. It works for wild animals so it will work for any breed of dog. The ability of the trainer, on the other hand, is another story.

5. He'll figure it out. They always do.

6. Of course you have to pay for the vet's time. Do you do your job for free? I feed Acana, Canidae, Taste of the Wild and Wellness Core. I think they all make puppy foods, and they're all grain free.

6.5 I don't do insurance. I just put money in a savings account every month.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Keep in mind that a baby puppy that young wont be able to go with you jogging until it's older and it's growth plates have closed. Also, young puppies can't be out where other dogs have been before all their vaccinations are complete, so walks will most likely have to be on hold until then.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much for the replies :)
I guess you are right on the vet's time. I finally found one who is going to call us on Saturday to discus these things.

Yeah we won't be taking him to dog parks and such place. And neither we will take him jogging until the vet gives us a green signal.
Until then, just the area attached to our apartment would be his roaming area.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
1-3: My husband and I work full time and had a puppy. It's doable, but someone needs to stop by at least once during the day to let him out, feed him, etc. A crate is fine if he's getting out every 3-4 hours. When my pup was very small, 8-12 weeks, we only left him alone 3 hours at a time, but by 12 weeks he was alone for 4 hour periods (we came home at lunch) and that worked well for us. Most puppies will not eliminate in their crates if they can help it, but pens are larger and leave more room for the puppy to pee, so I would recommend starting with the crate.

Carpet is fine. You just need to closely supervise him when he's small. I assume your kitchen isn't carpeted? You can keep him in there primarily when you are home (our puppy was allowed only in the kitchen and the room next to it at first. For under the crate, a towel or something is fine. If he does pee in there, it's not likely to go all over the place.

4. Go to training classes. That is by far the best thing you can do as a new owner. It will provide socialization, and you'll have someone to watch and help you train.

5. I've never seen any effect one way or the other from keeping blankets or towels that have been with the litter. I wouldn't worry about it. If anything it will soothe him.

6. IME, vets are not necessarily the best resources on dog food, as most don't have much education on nutrition. Look around at the food section of this forum for some ideas. Your best bet would be to get a small bag of whatever the breeder is feeding, and then gradually introduce the food of your choice.

I don't have pet insurance. I know people who love it, but I have enough of an emergency fund saved up and I don't like the idea of paying the insurance company money for services I never use. Typical insurance companies do not offer pet insurance - you would have to go with one of the pet insurance specific companies.

ETA: Puppies going out in public is pretty dependent on the parvo risk in your area. My puppy was going for walks from the day I got him, because the parvo risk here is extremely low, and my vet and I agreed that socialization was far more important. Even if the risk is higher, your pup will need to get out and meet people and vaccinated dogs, since the socialization window begins to close around when they get their final vaccines.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
:) nothing to add but I just wanted to say "OMG ANOTHER SHIBA" I am a shiba owner (only for the last year and a half) BUT they are amazing, and stubborn. I don't think I'll ever own another shiba but it's an awesome experience and I wish I had my shiba when he was a puppy. Welcome to DF and I'm excited to see pictures.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts