Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I am a new member to the site and joined so I can get help and advice on owning a puppy? I was 7 years old when I las that a dog and pretty sure I was only involved in the fun part!

I am hoping to get advice on what rules / boundries I should be setting and how to make my puppy happy and well trained.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

We are on a waiting list for a spoodle (Cooper or Pippa) :))

Sooo excited!:wave:

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Get a crate. I would suggest getting one that can your dog can grow into and using a divider during the house training phase. Get some bowls, treats, a clicker, lots of fun toys like squeakers and chewy things and toys that dispense treats like Kongs.
Get an enzyme cleaner like Nature's Miracle for cleaning potty accidents. Get a good container to store food.

Have you thought of a food yet? If not, I suggest looking at dogfoodadvisor.com in choosing one.

Look up Kikopup and Zak George on YouTube for training tip. dogstardaily.com has some great info. Avoid anyone or anything that tells you to use force with your dog or the be your dog's alpha or pack leader because that stuff is crap.

Just be very patient and keep reminding yourself that this pup is a baby. Prepare yourself for crying, accidents, biting and a serious loss of sleep

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Hollowheaven. I have seen a lot of posts about crates and is not something I'm familiar with. So we put him in the crate at night time and close him in but if he whines / whimpers we mustn't take him out? But what if he needs to pee? I read never to take them out when they are whining etc but wait until 5 mins after they stop? Can you give me a couple of "golden rules" regarding crates as I am getting a little confused about their use.

Clickers are another new thing to me. Should I enrol in puppy training classes immediately to get all this right from the start?.

I'm really keen to be a great puppy parent and have a happy pup :)

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Thanks Hollowheaven. I have seen a lot of posts about crates and is not something I'm familiar with. So we put him in the crate at night time and close him in but if he whines / whimpers we mustn't take him out? But what if he needs to pee? I read never to take them out when they are whining etc but wait until 5 mins after they stop? Can you give me a couple of "golden rules" regarding crates as I am getting a little confused about their use.

Clickers are another new thing to me. Should I enrol in puppy training classes immediately to get all this right from the start?.

I'm really keen to be a great puppy parent and have a happy pup :)
first congrats on the puppy, so the crate is used for when you can't watch your puppy without distractions (CONSTANT supervention is key when potty training) this can be for night-time, day-time, afternoon whenever. But don't just shove the puppy in the crate (of course he's going to cry and then he's going to associate the crate with a bad place). You should introduce the puppy slowly to the crate and let him go in and out on his own. When he gets comfortable with just going in and out close the door (don't lock it) this way he doesn't feel trapped, when he gets comfortable with that then you can start locking the door. Also play some crate games (look at kikopup on youtube) also get a kong and have that be a special crate toy so he associates the crate with a good thing :D you can freeze the kong to make it last longer if you're going to be gone for awhile. If the puppy stops crying/whining for even a little bit (even just to take a breath then let him out), pay NO attention to barking/crying/whining etc. You should take the puppy out about every 15-20 minutes so if he's in the crate and it's been this long then you should take him out but wait until he's quiet even for a little while. Puppy classes are very great things for socialization of your puppy. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts