Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To make a long story short;

My dog currently lives at the family farm most of the time, and when I can, I like to have him stay at my house. I spend most of the day with him.

I am starting a new job, which will result in me spending less time at the farm. Constant trips to drop him off and pick him up while I work will end up using quite a bit of gas and time.

I am debating on getting a cage to put in my yard for him to stay in during my work shifts, and he can be with me when I am home or at the farm.

It is very hard for me, emotionally, to lock my dog up by himself all day. He is 2.5 years old, and has spent that entire time with 4 other dogs and a free-roaming environment. Lately he has been spending more time at my house, and the last few nights I have let him sleep over.

What should I do? For the sake of my feelings and the dog.

For the record, I live in a wide open space and he gets tons of free-roam/exercise time when he is at my house. In fact he is much more active at my house, I am mostly concerned about locking him up though. Honestly, I feel bad...

I see some pros and cons to each side, but I am not sure what would be best for him. Can some of you dog experts lend me a hand on this one?

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I'm a bit confused.
Your dog doesn't live with you? He lives on a farm, somewhere else and every now and then you go and visit him/bring him home? I just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly.
Why does your dog not live with you?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I don't know why you'd need a kennel, if he behaves himself in the house. Most dogs in the U.S. stay home alone while their owners are at work. If he doesn't behave himself in the house, a nice big kennel, tricked out with all the amenities (shade, doghouse, big water buckets, etc.) is a fine alternative. As long as you spend enough time with him and make sure he gets enough exercise, nothing to feel bad about (although if he barks all day, your neighbors will be mad). But if you plan to ignore him while you're home. . .leave him at the farm.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
It sounds like the dog is kept outside when he's at the OP's house ("he gets tons of free-roam/exercise time") and the OP would like to keep him in a cage outside while at work. Is this accurate?

·
Super Moderator
11,842 Posts
It would also be useful to define "cage."

Are we talking about a kennel run? My girls have a 12'x18' chain link run with a stock tank, fresh straw and shelter if it rains. They don't spend much time in their these days, but I don't feel too sorry for them when they do.

Or are we talking about a crate?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm a bit confused.
Your dog doesn't live with you? He lives on a farm, somewhere else and every now and then you go and visit him/bring him home? I just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly.
Why does your dog not live with you?
Sorry for not being clear. It is the family farm, where I previously worked. He was born and raised there, and I used him for working livestock, etc. I am now starting a new job.

Again, my apologies for not being clear :) I did mean a "run".

I do not live at the farm, but I do have a huge yard, so when I am home, he gets tons of free-roam time. He will periodically visit the farm (when I visit of course).

I must also point out that every dog that I have had since a child has been a free-roaming dog on the farm. So this "run" thing is totally foreign and uncomfortable at the present moment for me.

I'm such a softy, lol. I mean as long as he has everything he needs in there, he shouldn't have much to complain about I guess.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts