Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They're my favorite cat breed! Do any of you out there own or knows someone who owns these beautiful cats?

• I love how they're polydactyl,
  • have stubby bobcat tails,
  • tufted ears,
  • and even a pouch that mountain lions and other wild cats have!!
  • Plus, they make chirping noises instead of meow
  • and are said to be as loyal as dogs and act like dogs!
  • They fetch and
  • can easily be trained to walk on a leash!
  • They especially enjoy being with dogs!
WOOOOWWWW! Go Pixie Bobs!!!!!!! :clap2::clap2:

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
many mutts have the stomach pouch you speak of both of my past mutt cats have had pouches and my friend has another polydactyl mutt cat with a pouch. I don't know anyone with a pixie bob cat.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Have you ever met a Pixie Bob or are you going by the breed description? I don't personally know any Pixie Bobs. But I do find that, in general, personality descriptions of purebred cats are somewhat. . .overenthusiastic. All the purebred cats I've known have been the same as any moggie, personality-wise. The only personality description that I've seen to be very reliable is that Siamese are loud, LOL. Everything else just seems to be dependent on the individual cat's personality. I do think Pixie Bobs look cool, but everything else is just a general cat trait. I'm playing fetch with one of my moggies right now, actually.

·
Registered
653 Posts
My cat walks on a leash and has a pouch and she's just a mutt-cat and I cat-sat another one that fetched hair ties. I've never actaully heard of a pixie bob but i went to look them up and they are pretty cute. Savannahs have to be my ultimate favorite PB cats closely followed by Sphynx and Cornish Rex.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
My grandmother's cat (not sure what he was I guess just a mix), had a pouch. Although I did look up pixie bobs, they are pretty cute. But my favorite would have to be Highlanders. If I was a cat person, I might have one of those.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
If I have good luck my next cat will be a black and white tuxedo color with folded ears and a bob tail so it looks like an Aussie puppy. But I get all my cats off the street so that's pretty much a pipe dream lol.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
If I have good luck my next cat will be a black and white tuxedo color with folded ears and a bob tail so it looks like an Aussie puppy. But I get all my cats off the street so that's pretty much a pipe dream lol.
Lol, that would be a cool cat! I wonder if it's even possible. . .the bobtail gene and the folded ear gene can both be lethal on their own, if they mix together who knows what would happen? The kittens might spontaneously combust or something :p.

·
Registered
653 Posts
That would be super cute! Shadow has one folded ear due to surgery on it, coincidentally Puck's ear on that same side is also semi-floppy.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
many mutts have the stomach pouch you speak of both of my past mutt cats have had pouches and my friend has another polydactyl mutt cat with a pouch. I don't know anyone with a pixie bob cat.
that's so odd! I thought only Pixie bobs have them : D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you ever met a Pixie Bob or are you going by the breed description? I don't personally know any Pixie Bobs. But I do find that, in general, personality descriptions of purebred cats are somewhat. . .overenthusiastic. All the purebred cats I've known have been the same as any moggie, personality-wise. The only personality description that I've seen to be very reliable is that Siamese are loud, LOL. Everything else just seems to be dependent on the individual cat's personality. I do think Pixie Bobs look cool, but everything else is just a general cat trait. I'm playing fetch with one of my moggies right now, actually.
I've never met one. They are rare cats and are very expensive (around $1,000). But what you said up there disappoints me greatly. :( I sure hope my Pixie-bob acts like the general breed description, and even if he doesn't, he'll still be wonderful (:)

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
I've had two and they are FABULOUS cats, very different from most cat's I've owned, both mine were leash trained from the breeder and had very 'dog like' personalities as far as friendlyness. both would follow you from room to room and LOVED anyone who came in the house. May I ask what breeder you're gettin a kitten from? Be very careful about selecting one and try to stay to thoise breeders who have a FTLOP association and keep their cats/kitten INDOORS. I may be able to help you find a REPUTABLE PB breeder as it's a very small community. Oh, do be careful with PB's and vaccines, a good many I know of have had bad vaccine reactions and certain vaccines may need to be titered (especailly watch rabies)

·
Registered
10,534 Posts

As you've never met one I understand your doubts, but they are indeed different from most breeds of cats. My next cat will be a Pixie, most likely from the same breeder I got my first one.

·
Super Moderator
7,277 Posts
Beautiful cats Carla! Do Pixie Bobs require any special care, as opposed to regular cats? I've always been very intrigued by them, but you're the first person I've known with any experience with them

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
maybe my cat butch is part Pixie Bob, All this time I've been calling him a Siamese mix cause he never shuts up, but he's also very people friendly and very dog friendly, he'll walk around in to house when there is a party and will jump on people's laps. Maybe He's a Pixie Bob Siamese mix lol.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
No, they don't require a lot of extra care other than watching for vaccine reactions. In fact I'd say they're one of the easiest cats to keep up with. The long haired versions have about the same coat as a Maine Coone or Norwegian Forest cat, long but not to the point of needing constant grooming (like Persians), they can be talkative, my fisrt one (Mathayus) would almost sound like he was trying to speak human oh, and just so you know Splash, they DO meow as well as the chirping (which sounds alot like what my Dobe does) most are just not obnoxious about it! Word of caution however, I know of females that mark. It's one of the reasons that many firmly believe that there is indeed wild blood in the lines (especailly Brewers). They also tend to be on the larger side, with many males being as big as Maine Coones (20-30 LEAN lbs is not unusual)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've had two and they are FABULOUS cats, very different from most cat's I've owned, both mine were leash trained from the breeder and had very 'dog like' personalities as far as friendlyness. both would follow you from room to room and LOVED anyone who came in the house. May I ask what breeder you're gettin a kitten from? Be very careful about selecting one and try to stay to thoise breeders who have a FTLOP association and keep their cats/kitten INDOORS. I may be able to help you find a REPUTABLE PB breeder as it's a very small community. Oh, do be careful with PB's and vaccines, a good many I know of have had bad vaccine reactions and certain vaccines may need to be titered (especailly watch rabies)
Wow, your cats are really cute!! Desi looks like a BIGG cat. :D I'm going to get my PB from Living Legend Pixie Bobs. That's the kennel that had those Pixies on animal planet! I saw them there and I thought they were just absolutely gorgeous! I hear you also have to keep a close watch of their paws and claws. That isn't a huge issue, however, as it's very easy to do.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
maybe my cat butch is part Pixie Bob, All this time I've been calling him a Siamese mix cause he never shuts up, but he's also very people friendly and very dog friendly, he'll walk around in to house when there is a party and will jump on people's laps. Maybe He's a Pixie Bob Siamese mix lol.
I highly doubt it, because PBs are very rare.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts