Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im from jersey really looking to get a puppy pit to train to come work on the golf course with me not looking to spend a whole lot- any places to get them?

·
Registered
6,437 Posts

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
you could look for privet breeders on google :) lol that's what i did and i found two beautiful, chow-pit mix puppies. To a good home to!!
NO NO NO!!!

99.9999999999999% of the breeders you'll find just be googling "Pit Bull Breeders" are HORRIBLE HORRIBLE breeders. I"m NOT at all against breeding Pit Bulls, but there are only maybe 15 breeders in the US that I know of that I would trust for a good quality Pit Bull.

Honestly the best place for a person to pick up a Pit Bull is your local shelter. I have two rescued Pit Bulls Nubs and Peanut. Nubs has earned titles in the UKC even as a rescue and has done more then most papered dogs have. Peanut is still a puppy (who was found at about 12-14 weeks trying to cross a busy highway and brought to me with scars all over her head) and is now training to be a Search and Rescue dog. Shelters are overwhelmed with GREAT dogs. I got Nubs at 1yr 3 months of age and he is the BEST dog I could have EVER asked for, I mean he really is my heart dog. Rescuing him at a year we bonded closer then most people do with their puppies. I had so many trainers ask me if I had him from a puppy and were shocked when I told them he was only with me for 3 months at the time (now its been almost 4 years) He would follow me to the end of time and then some.

So go to your local shelter, see what they have and be prepaired to be turned down. It's hard to adopt a Pit Bull because of all the issues with the breed so shelters are very very picky on who they adopt out too. But to rescue a Pit Bull is the best thing out there. They are wonderful dogs, but make sure they are the breed for you. Dog aggression is a real issue in this breed, my Nubs just started to show Dog Aggression toward any unknown dog this past year as he is turning 5. Nubs can be off leash but I'm VERY careful where i let him off leash because of the troubles with the breed. One wrong move and he's a headline. Also make sure you look into Breed Specific laws in your area and make sure that if you don't own your home that they are OK in your home because most places will not rent to people with Pit Bulls.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
The same place you find pups of other breeds

Shelter, rescue, re homing ads, breeder.

It depends what you want

What are you looking for ? Besides going to work with you what other traits
Energy level
Size
Bloodlines
Registered or not

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I completely agree with everyone else. American is over run with Pit Bulls above and beyond and the shelters are just FULL of these poor dogs. There's also rescue groups as well. I'd check these out BEFORE going to a breeder, personally.

·
Registered
150 Posts
What part of Jersey do you live in? NYC ACC always has a lot of great pit bulls available. My shelter pulls pits from there a lot and they almost always end up being some of our best dogs. It might take a little longer if you're dead set on adopting a young (ie 2-4 months) puppy, but if you're willing to go a little older there will be tons of options to find your best match.

ETA: Looking at the NYCACC website, 86 out of 110 dogs listed are bully mixes

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I completely agree with everyone else. American is over run with Pit Bulls above and beyond and the shelters are just FULL of these poor dogs. There's also rescue groups as well. I'd check these out BEFORE going to a breeder, personally.
I agree it is over run with Pits but the source of which are peddlers and ignorant breeders. Good breeders shouldn't stop breeding and if they did it could make things a lot worse overall. I'm all for rescue but think it's not bad to go to a breeder. I find it hard to believe they can't find Pits in their shelter or surrounding areas. Not to mention regional rescues.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I live near Philadelphia and grew up in south jersey and I can tell you every single county shelter in south jersey is at least 60% populated by pitties. Central NJ is just as overrun with them. Not so sure about northern NJ but judging by the URGENT NYC ACC facebook group, I can't imagine there's any shortage of shelter pit bulls up there either.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Yeap, Pits are the easiest dogs to get in NJ, and I'm sure shelters pick up puppies all the time. If you aren't looking to spend a lot, I would recommend going through the pound.

What are you training the dog for?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pitbull breeders pay great attention towards certain qualities while breeding pitbulls, such as trainability and an undying eagerness to please their masters.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts