Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3 1/2 yr old Katrina rescue Pit mix and have been wanting to get a companion for her for a while now. I love pit bulls and would like to rescue one but I am so concerned about DA. My dog is really good with other dogs. Would it be safe to get a male pitbull? Can you usually tell if a dog is going to be aggressive towards other animals right away? Is it safe to leave another dog home alone with a pit bull during the day? I have heard that I should get a dog that is older because sometimes you dont know if a puppy will grow up to be DA. I live in a SFH with a large fenced in yard so it would be good for another dog. Any advice would be helpful!:)

·
Registered
235 Posts
If you are going to get a male pitbull i would recommend a slow intro at a shelter, if thats where your getting it from of course

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
ninarasc;552999Would it be safe to get a male pitbull?[/quote said:
There is no way to know if it would be "safe" (if by that you mean them get along I assume?) It depends on how your dog will get along with a new dog, not just another dog but a dog living in her space. It will also depend on their "chemistry" for lack of better words, some dogs get along better with certain dogs, some get along with almost all dogs but might run across a couple they don't like as well. The same goes for the male. It depends on what other dog you get if they will mesh and get along with your current.

Can you usually tell if a dog is going to be aggressive towards other animals right away?
Sometimes yes and sometimes no. Because certain dogs are aggressive in certain situation, different triggers so they might seem ok "right away" then a problem shows. A problem can also develop between dogs who did previously get along before. With this breed there is also the possibility they can get along great most their life but get into a serious fight, even if they are not classed as DA, its more about the tenacity they put into a fight if a disagreement does start.

Is it safe to leave another dog home alone with a pit bull during the day?
Hell no!!!

A Pit Bull should not be left unsupervised with another dog.

I have heard that I should get a dog that is older because sometimes you dont know if a puppy will grow up to be DA.
This is true though you still have to make sure of the adult. Sometimes dogs in shelters are considered good with other dogs but once they get in a home setting they might behave differently. This is true of any type of label they've been given, a dog can behave differently in different situations. Maybe they are a quite non barker that barks a lot in their new home, maybe they were thought to be good with kids but are not, maybe they are not aggressive but end up biting someone. This only means to take it slow and be responsible. Don't just assume oh this dog is fine because someone says so. Really this is the same as if you got a pup (though if you've raised a dog you know their tendencies better in many situations) you might have something unexpected happen. Some Pits also start showing DA later in life, certain bloodlines are more prone to it then other, so it is something to be aware of. That they might have some changes even though you adopt them as an adult.

Sometimes if you get a pup and raise it with an older dog, they will get along with that dog even if they become intolerant or less social with strange dogs. This however is far from a guarantee.

I suggest you research a lot on Pits to see if you would like to another to your home, especially a pure bred one which might act differently then a mix which has some genes from another breed(s).

You also have to be prepared for what you will do if they don't get along, even if it is later down the road. If everything goes well and you bring the dog home you still need to have a plan.

Informative Site

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I agree a shelter pit that has been living in a foster situation w/other dogs would be your best bet ......and NO NO NO..never leave a Pit bull unsupervised with another dog PERIOD....better safe then sorry...its a rule of thumb for most responsible bully owners.

personally I don't leave any of my dogs alone together unsupervised...due to breed, size, and temperament

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
I have a 3 1/2 yr old Katrina rescue Pit mix and have been wanting to get a companion for her for a while now. I love pit bulls and would like to rescue one but I am so concerned about DA. My dog is really good with other dogs. Would it be safe to get a male pitbull? Can you usually tell if a dog is going to be aggressive towards other animals right away? Is it safe to leave another dog home alone with a pit bull during the day? I have heard that I should get a dog that is older because sometimes you dont know if a puppy will grow up to be DA. I live in a SFH with a large fenced in yard so it would be good for another dog. Any advice would be helpful!:)
Thank you for thinking about rescuing a Pit Bull in need. That is GREAT!

I would read more on the Pit Bull breed before you get another one http://www.apbt.info/tiki-index.php This site will answer a lot of questions you have.

NEVER EVER EVER EVER LEAVE 2 OR MORE PIT BULLS ALONE TOGETHER The dogs may forever be friends, but if something happens and they get into a tiff, there is a great chance you coming home to 1 or more dead dogs. A lot of non-DA Pit Bulls avoid conflicts with all their might. The thing is though, even a non-DA Pit Bull will fight to the death if they need too.

Pit Bulls normally if they are going to be DA will be DA around the age of 2. BUT the breed can become DA at any point of their live. If you bring in another dog (any breed) they can get along for many many years, then out of no where, have a fight and never be able to be together again. That is why when you own a Pit Bull in a multi-dog household you need to be OK with Crate and Rotating. Just in case it is needed.

If it was me, I would be looking for an OLDER male that is proven good with other dogs. I would talk to the shelter/rescue about Foster-to-adopt where you can bring the dog home with you for a week to a month and see how he does in your home. Remember though, it can take as little as a month to over a year for the dog's real personality to come out.

Read up some more on the breed, Learn about Crate and rotating, and start talking to local rescues that actually have their dogs live in homes with them.

Also if you don't own your home, make sure to reread your renters policy and make sure it is OK for you to have another large dog

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I do think an older, adult male would be good in this situation from either a rescue where the dog has been in a foster home or from a breeder that is placing them who will know the dogs tendencies. A lot of people overlook older dogs for pups but they can be a good choice! Older dogs often sit in shelters or stay at their foster homes longer because people want cute pups. The same with breeders where people want to be on the waiting list for pups but don't think to ask about older dogs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts