Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody! I need a little advice. My husband and I are looking to adopt a dog. I have been going to the SPCA every week. This week I came across a pitbull shepard mix. I think she is perfect for us but I am a little nervous about adopting a pitbull because I hear that they can be perfectly friendly all their lives and then suddenly snap and get violent. Can anyone who has owned a pitbull tell me their experience? Thanks!

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
no they don't just snap. that's a serious myth.

they are in my opinion the very BEST dog, ever. period.

they EXCELL at EVERYTHING they put their minds to.

there are pit bull service dogs, pit bull therapy dogs, pit bull drug and bomb detection dogs, sporting pit bulls who hold more titles than any other dog (google Bandog Dread and UKC Superdogs)

my son would be dead if not for my pit bull.

BUT....

www.pbrc.net
www.workingpitbull.com
www.badrap.org
www.riospitbull.com
www.stopbsl.com
www.nationalcanineresearchcouncil.com
www.pitbulllovers.com

do your research. they aren't an easy breed to own..not really because of the dogs...but because of how people view them.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
This recent thread is another good place to hear the other side of the story first-hand.

There are at least a half-dozen Pitties living in my building; they are some of the sweetest dogs you could ever meet.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I agree with the above posts. I work in rescue and go into some very tough areas. It is very common to go to properties with a few loose Pit bulls running around or some tied out starving or beaten up or something. It is not too common to run into the ones that the media shows so often. Most of them are very loving, happy go lucky dogs. That said, I agree, they are not an easy breed to own because of what others think of them. Do your homework, be prepared, make the effort to socialize and train your dog and hopefully you can be advocating for the breed a few years from now. ;) :)

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Yes they can turn eventually one day in their life. You just have to be prepared for when it happens. Not a big deal really. How I live my life.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Pit Bulls "turn" no more then any other breed of dog. The thing about it though is the fact if they snap at someone they are going to do damage because they are strong dogs.

Honestly, in the back of my mind after dealing with one unstable Boxer mix, I always am aware of my dogs actions. I don't care if he was a Golden, I would still always be on guard for watching a change in behavior or for "warning signs" that he isn't happy about something. Once you know what to look for, it's pretty obvious.

Nubs, I have no worries about "turning" on me. Maybe getting riled up and nipping too hard in play yes. Attacking me in anger or just going nuts? Nope! As he gets older, just as any dog, I will be more aware of what he is doing. But I believe that is every dog. You shouldn't expect a 7-15 year old dog to just take all the abuse that toddlers hand out. You are asking for trouble!

In short: It's not the breed. Any dog breed can turn. If I were you, I'd worry less about a Pit bull turning, and more on the fact that Pit Bulls and Pit Bull mixes are prone to Dog Aggression and reading up on that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I forgot to add a little bit of info. We live in an apartment. We are very active but would not having a fenced in yard be a factor in this? We are very active so she would be going on lots of walks. Also we have a cat, but the shelter said the dog did very well in the cat test. The pitbull is three years old and I know nothing about it's breeding or earlier socialization. I want an adoption that would be best for us and the dog.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
I currenty have a very active Pit Bull and I have no yard. Daily walks with him and a lot of play and training and he has been a complete doll. I have had no issues at all with him.

Ask and see if you can bring him home on a trial. I know my local shelter will allow you a trial peiord to see if the dog fits in your home. Ask, it wouldn't hurt!

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I'm my experience I have never met a Pit bull that just "turned"....but I'm sure it could happen to any breed....I think there actually is a recent thread about an older dog(not a pit) suddenly biting.....but as Zim said I think its more of a snowballed myth

So in conclusion...yes its "possible"....but how many things do we do per day that could possibly "turn" bad...you could walk across the street and be hit and killed by a drunk driver....you could choke on a chicken bone at dinner tonight and die..:)...its life sometimes things happen

I think pits are great dogs if you are prepared to put in the time to make them that way ...and have think skin to deal with all the BS ignorant people will slam you with for owning one ;)

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Since no one has mentioned and you said you live in an apartment, be sure both shepherds and pits are allowed by your landlord. They are both very frequently on the restricted list. A lot will depend on your area, in some areas though it is basically impossible to rent with them. (I've looked around here and it is) also keep in mind the future. Are you planning on moving? Be aware that owning a pit bull will restrict where you can live.

Just something I didn't see mentioned. :)

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Since no one has mentioned and you said you live in an apartment, be sure both shepherds and pits are allowed by your landlord. They are both very frequently on the restricted list. A lot will depend on your area, in some areas though it is basically impossible to rent with them. (I've looked around here and it is) also keep in mind the future. Are you planning on moving? Be aware that owning a pit bull will restrict where you can live.

Just something I didn't see mentioned. :)
Sad but true....I have only found 2 or 3 complexes in my area that have no size or breed restrictions.....luckily I own whoo hoo :)

but if you are going to be renting for a while it is something to consider.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Whether or not having a fence will be an issue depends on the shelter. Some require it many don't. Most rescues do.

Doing well in a "cat test" doesn't mean that they will get along with all cats or that they will never chase or harm a cat. Same with other dogs. Always supervise and of course pay attention to body language. Adopting an older dog can be great but it also means you might not know as much about that dog (that goes for any breed). It means you will have to "learn" this dog. Their behaviors, personality and temperament.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Whether or not having a fence will be an issue depends on the shelter. Some require it many don't. Most rescues do.

Doing well in a "cat test" doesn't mean that they will get along with all cats or that they will never chase or harm a cat. Same with other dogs. Always supervise and of course pay attention to body language. Adopting an older dog can be great but it also means you might not know as much about that dog (that goes for any breed). It means you will have to "learn" this dog. Their behaviors, personality and temperament.
agree 100%

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Sad but true....I have only found 2 or 3 complexes in my area that have no size or breed restrictions.....luckily I own whoo hoo :)

but if you are going to be renting for a while it is something to consider.
My apartment's the most lenient one I've found here. No size restrictions but I'm not allowed pits, dobes, rotties, or GSDs. Most I see here only allow dogs under 35 lbs and have a lot more restrictions. Any time you add a dog and are a renter you restrict yourself. I just always think it's worth reminding. The big issues are if you have either more than one dog, a large dog, or a commonly restricted breed, at least where I live. I have had several neighbors have to rehome their dogs because they didn't follow the restrictions the apartment had. (bulldog, pit bull, and a collie in a complex that only allowed dogs under 20 lbs)

If GSDs weren't so hard to rent with, that'd be the next breed for me, but they are. :(

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I have had several neighbors have to rehome their dogs because they didn't follow the restrictions the apartment had. (bulldog, pit bull, and a collie in a complex that only allowed dogs under 20 lbs)
Why did they get the dog, or move into the complex then? When my husband and I were looking for a new apt before we got our house, we found a complex we LOVED. But, they didn't allow any pets at all. So we never looked back at that place again. We only had one cat at that point. It wasn't hard to find a decent place that at least allowed the cats. I know it's harder with dogs, but then you don't get the dog, or you find another place. Like you said, you know you will have a hard time with a GSD so you haven't gotten one. I don't see why this is so hard.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
im a renter.

the easier was to rent with restricted breeds is to look for privatly owned properties instead of ones that are owned by realty companies.

i have one guy who is my landlord and he thinks Bolo is just the kewlest dog ever and told me that while he was apprehensive about her breed, if i carried a bit of renter's insurance to cover his butt he wouldnt even charge me a pet deposit.

be persistent and you CAN find rentals that allow those kinds of dogs.

·
Registered
968 Posts
im a renter.

the easier was to rent with restricted breeds is to look for privatly owned properties instead of ones that are owned by realty companies.

i have one guy who is my landlord and he thinks Bolo is just the kewlest dog ever and told me that while he was apprehensive about her breed, if i carried a bit of renter's insurance to cover his butt he wouldnt even charge me a pet deposit.

be persistent and you CAN find rentals that allow those kinds of dogs.
I try to look for places that allow pets on a case-by-case basis.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's a shame because my landlord dosn't allow pitbulls. Just found out today. :( so i can't get away with calling this dog another breed?

·
Registered
968 Posts
It's a shame because my landlord dosn't allow pitbulls. Just found out today. :( so i can't get away with calling this dog another breed?

Do you know your landlord personally or is like a big property management company? If you know them personally maybe you could talk to them and see if they will be willing to meet her (i know you haven't gotten her yet)
I know one place i lived at had a general rule of not allowing pit bulls, but I talked to the landlord, had her meet my dog and all was well, I just had to pay a larger pet deposit.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts