Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 year old Pit who is very loving. He has started to jump and pull himself over my 6 foot wood fence in the back yard. I have put tin from the top of the fence to the top 2 X 4 but that does not stop him. He doesn't go anywhere yet, just to the front door. I then open the gate and he goes back in the back yard. I don't want anything to happen to him. What else can I do to keep him in the back yard? I have an electric fence so that he can't dig under it. I live out in the country and need to keep him in the back yard. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
You have a very athletic dog. Not unusual for a healthy adult pit bull.

You -might- be able to use "coyote rollars" at the top of the fence to keep him from getting his footing.

But the safest and surest option is to keep him indoors when unattended. Second best would be a secure kennel with a roof and floor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't keep him inside. He killed one of my Chihuahuas that was also inside about a year ago. That is why he must be outside now. What are coyote rollars? Thanks for the quick response.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Coyote rollers are metal or PVC pipes that are mounted to the top of your fence and rotate freely. Dogs can't get a foothold on them. Give the term "coyote rollers" a Google and you'll find multiple companies selling kits and people telling you how to make your own. Until you get them installed and see if they work, can you tie him up in the yard so he can't reach the fence? Make absolutely sure he can't reach the fence; I know people whose dogs have jumped fences while tied up and have hung themselves and died.

I second the recommendation of a secure kennel with a roof and floor. If he can't be inside, that's your best and safest bet.

Here's a news video about coyote rollers.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
A secure kennel with a roof and dig-prevention is going to be your best bet. Coyote rollers are another option.

Also, make sure he's getting enough exercise. Sometimes being mentally and physically satisfied will reduce the desire to escape, and they'll be more content hanging out outside.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts