Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just found a puppy that looks to be a pit/lab mix. i posted her pics the other day in another thread i started. anyways my question. those with pit mixes. do you see any of the pit characteristics in yours? do you keep your pit mix separate from your dogs when you are not around?

i am just worried about if this dog will have the strength and dog aggresion later in life that pits are known to sometimes get. do i need to treat her like a full blooded pit? or are the mixes usually not as much as a threat (jaw strength)? i have nothing against pits by the way. i am only concerned for the safety of my dogs. if i didnt have 2 other dogs then i wouldnt worry about her at all. oh and my other dogs are 45 and 55 lbs. the smaller is a basenji mix i think and the other is a lab/border collie.

here is a link to the other thread i started with pics.
http://www.dogforums.com/2-general-dog-forum/56091-anyone-know-what-kind.html

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
ok i dont currently own a pit mix...but i own a full blood pit...who has dog aggression...who plays nicely with select other dogs.

so calm down, even the actuality of dog aggression is not the end of the world. the potential of dog aggression being even less so.

first.
there is no difference between the jaws of a pit and the jaws of other breeds other than general shape. the uber jaw strength thing is a myth. they arent automatically born with gator jaws of death. the reason that myth is prevalent is because it isnt the jaws...its the will to grip and hold on..which is a matter of temperment and conditioning...not physical traits

second.

full blown dog aggression is relatively rare. most issues that are deemed "dog aggression" are again a matter of conditioning. meaning that something has happened to the dog to make it that way.

pay attention to your dog if you are worried or have seen signs of aggressive behavior. read up on canine body language and keep your eye peeled. i recommend not leaving dogs alone together regardless of breed. but if you wish to do it some things you can do that are preventative measures...

dont leave stuff out that there is potential for the dogs to get snarky over.

keep alone times to shorter lengths

make sure the dogs are worn out and sleepy before you leave them be.

its really a situation specific thing. if you are worried, take measures. plain and simple.

:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info.
i just got a call from my girlfriend who had taken her to the vet. it looks like she is a 1- 1 1/2 yrs old. so she is pretty much full grown. i thought she was a puppy and going to grow a lot more. i assume her temperment that she has now which is very very sweet is what she will stay like. obviously its not always true but the odds are high correct?
the vet thinks she is a mix of a few dogs and not a lot of pit in her and maybe a different type of terrier all together. she said we could get a blood dna test done to see what breeds she is and how much of each breed is in her. so we are thinking of doing that.

once again i am not trashing pits. im not scared of them and i know they are for the most part wonderful dogs. i just worry about the safety of my own.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
i didnt think you were trashing them at all.

just clearing up a few things. :)

as to aggression being higher...

full blown DA is higher in pits when compared other *common* breeds.

but in the larger spectrum...the one that encompases all dogs...that kind of DA is rare...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Her being part bit has nothing to do with it. As long as you train her and socialize her to your dogs/other dogs/people than she should be fine towards them.
i wasnt worried until i went to a couple pit forums and started reading horror stories and people saying that the dogs have to be under supervision at all times. not even left alone for one minute. i guess its just scary because i feel like i could break up my 2 dogs if they were fighting (i did when we first got the basenji). but a pit just sounds like it is so hard to get them off i dont want to watch in horror as it rips apart my dog.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
btw...

my sister has a dog that looks EXACTLY like her...i mean EXACTLY.

you arent in NC are you? all but two of Delilah's littermates looked exactly like her.

Delilah is btw half pit bull and half german shepherd beyond a shadow of a doubt.

i wasnt worried until i went to a couple pit forums and started reading horror stories and people saying that the dogs have to be under supervision at all times. not even left alone for one minute. i guess its just scary because i feel like i could break up my 2 dogs if they were fighting (i did when we first got the basenji). but a pit just sounds like it is so hard to get them off i dont want to watch in horror as it rips apart my dog.
it sounds scarier than it actually is. i promise. if they do fight....keep your cool and act quickly.

a loud noise may help to de escalate the situation. if not, grab a leash..grab the aggressor by the hind feet and drag them backwards. use the leash to tie them to something and then grab the other one by the hind legs and pull backwards.

if she were full pit id recommend a breaking stick. but shes not.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I'm in your situation, minus a dog. We had Toby for about two years when we adopted Fergus (most think he's an APBT mix though I'd say STB mix - to which most reply "Tomato Tomoto").

Anyways, no I don't leave them alone together. Toby was never crate trained but Fergus seems to like his crate so that works out nice. The one nice thing for me is that Fergus is about 35# and Toby is about 75#. So although Fergus can be a bully and irritating (I think mostly because of the puppy in him not the pit in him) Toby easily disposes of him when push comes to shove. That doesn't sound real good now that I read it but it really is a nice balance.

As for the jaws, Zim addressed that appropriately and I can tell you I see that first hand in my dogs. It's not just willing to grip and hold on though, it's willing to do all sorts of things other dogs aren't. The phrase, "It's not the size of the dog in the fight..." was literally designed for these dogs. The difference between Toby and Fergus? It would take a pretty big dog to get the best of Toby and most all dogs could get the best of Fergus, but as soon as Toby has been bested he relents; Fergus will never relent!!

Bottom line, treat the new guy like any other dog, but keep his "pedigree" in the back of your mind. The questions you are asking IMHO are extremely appropriate and not out of line at all. It's the uneducated bully owners that worry me the most!!

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
do you see any of the pit characteristics in yours? do you keep your pit mix separate from your dogs when you are not around?
Yes very much, both physically and some of their other traits.

Yes of course.

i am just worried about if this dog will have the strength and dog aggresion later in life that pits are known to sometimes get. do i need to treat her like a full blooded pit? or are the mixes usually not as much as a threat (jaw strength)? i have nothing against pits by the way. i am only concerned for the safety of my dogs. if i didnt have 2 other dogs then i wouldnt worry about her at all. oh and my other dogs are 45 and 55 lbs. the smaller is a basenji mix i think and the other is a lab/border collie.

here is a link to the other thread i started with pics.
http://www.dogforums.com/2-general-dog-forum/56091-anyone-know-what-kind.html
I think how much she is treated like a pure bred depends on how much she acts like one or what she really acts like. I have pure bred Pits and I don't treat them all alike, nor mixes I don't treat all alike.

I try to take the same precautions with my dogs because I know 1 irresponsible move can have a bad outcome. When its with a Pit or Pit mix it can be even worse for their reputation.

If you are worried about the dog aggression you just need to watch her the same as you would any other dog. See how she interacts with others, see if she starts to get annoyed and learn her tolerance level. Learn how to safely/quickly separate a dog fight. Get a breaking stick just in case. Also remember that she is a mix so she may or may not fight like a Pit. If she fights like the typical breed you could have a higher chance of getting bit, so you need to learn how to deal with dog fights in general.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Yes very much, both physically and some of their other traits.

Yes of course.

I think how much she is treated like a pure bred depends on how much she acts like one or what she really acts like. I have pure bred Pits and I don't treat them all alike, nor mixes I don't treat all alike.

I try to take the same precautions with my dogs because I know 1 irresponsible move can have a bad outcome. When its with a Pit or Pit mix it can be even worse for their reputation.

If you are worried about the dog aggression you just need to watch her the same as you would any other dog. See how she interacts with others, see if she starts to get annoyed and learn her tolerance level. Learn how to safely/quickly separate a dog fight. Get a breaking stick just in case. Also remember that she is a mix so she may or may not fight like a Pit. If she fights like the typical breed you could have a higher chance of getting bit, so you need to learn how to deal with dog fights in general.
Spicy I was always told only to use breaking sticks on dogs that fight like pits do...which pretty much says to me pure or mostly pit.

what do you say?

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Spicy I was always told only to use breaking sticks on dogs that fight like pits do...which pretty much says to me pure or mostly pit.

what do you say?
Yeah that is pretty much where their usefulness lies is breaking a hold, then keeping them from getting another.

So certainly Pits, but not only Pits or pure Pits. With mixes you can't guess how they are going to fight better to have one, instead of not have one and find out you needed it.

But they can be/have been used successfully on other breeds, the ones which fight like Pits of course. American Bulldogs very useful at times. Also works very well for my friends Boerboel. There are people with other breeds of where it has worked for them too, without it would have been a much more serious incident.

If a dog is doing the typical snarling and snapping it really doesn't help as I'm sure you know.

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
All the other pit people have given good advice.

I am not really seeing pit bull in your dog though as good looking as she is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
i didnt think you were trashing them at all.
just making sure. i know a lot of responsible pit owners take offense.

well so far i think we will keep her. we are playing it by ear as of now. just gotta see if our dogs get used to her. shes seemed to have calmed down with the bugging of my youngest dog (tori). so thats a major plus. tori is my baby and i want her to be happy.

one question. we have 3 bowls of food of course. the new dog seems to prefer to eat from the other dogs bowls even though we show her hers. is this a dominance thing or is she just eating from wherever?

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
with the food bowls it could be any number of things. What is your feeding ritual?

and just as a sidenote....here's the dog I was talking about. they are crappy cellphone pics but she really does look a lot like your girl...and this one is a beyond a shadow of a doubt pit x gsd. she came from an oops litter of a family who owns a male gsd and a female pit.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wow i never would have thought that either my dog or yours had that in them.

oh and the food ritula is 630 am ish 3 spots about 6 ft apart and 4pm ish .

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
wow i never would have thought that either my dog or yours had that in them.

oh and the food ritula is 630 am ish 3 spots about 6 ft apart and 4pm ish .
yeah you wouldn't think it at first glance at Lilah. First glance you see pit bull...but if you look closer...everthing is too long to be all pit. the muzzle is too long, the body is too long, the legs are too long and so is the fur. one of Lilah's siblings looked really like a GSD but the rest of them took more after their mama. im not saying that your dog is part gsd, just that she looks A LOT like Lilah..who is part GSD.

for the feeding...you don't really need to worry about why she's doing it.

you have several options.

you can simply feed them separatly

you can supervise and gently step between her and the other's bowls when she goes for them.

you can teach her a "leave it" cue and tell her to leave it..

it depends on what will work for you.

can you manage or do you want to try and teach her to stop?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah you wouldn't think it at first glance at Lilah. First glance you see pit bull...but if you look closer...everthing is too long to be all pit. the muzzle is too long, the body is too long, the legs are too long and so is the fur. one of Lilah's siblings looked really like a GSD but the rest of them took more after their mama. im not saying that your dog is part gsd, just that she looks A LOT like Lilah..who is part GSD.

for the feeding...you don't really need to worry about why she's doing it.

you have several options.

you can simply feed them separatly

you can supervise and gently step between her and the other's bowls when she goes for them.

you can teach her a "leave it" cue and tell her to leave it..

it depends on what will work for you.

can you manage or do you want to try and teach her to stop?
i would like to make her stop since the other 2 already know their bowls.
she isnt aggresive around her food. i have already tried moving her bowl, petting her, putting my hand in the bowl while she is eating and she doesnt bat an eye.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts