Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BSL is a serious stick in my craw, and today is a good example. My parents-in-law have a Rottweiler they asked me to look in on while out of town for a few days. This dog was left to them when their son moved out of state suddenly. They take good care of her physically, but it's not like she gets a lot of (hardly any) socialization. She's also an outside dog, which I'm not overly fond of in any case but maybe LGD's on the job. So, she stays outside, doesn't get regular socialization, and she's a bully breed, so she's vicious, right?

I currently have one seriously injured hand, and don't see that well in the dark, and didn't even pause when entering her dog run area. I've met her before, and played with her, but haven't seen her in several months. So what happened? She happily approached and sat, waiting for attention. Her worst behavioral problems are jumping up if she's very excited, and pooping in the house. Despite being 90+ pounds of very strong dog, she didn't knock me over when she jumped, and got down quickly when asked. It's not fair to count the pooping against her, as she's never lived inside. Basically, this is a happy, loving dog that anyone would be privileged to own. If I wasn't already at full canine capacity, I'd take her in an instant.

I've seen people shy away from other dogs just like her, based solely on their breed and size. I'm hoping that at some point people get over these prejudices and simply understand that behind every vicious dog attack is a history of neglect and abuse, and isn't a consequence of owning the breed.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I've never met a mean Rott. Or pit for that matter. They always seem so goofy and lovable. I don't know what someone would have to do to a Rott to make them mean.

One funny story--one time I asked my visiting uncle to take a look at something in my yard to see if he could fix it. I had my dogs out in the fenced yard while I was inside cleaning or doing laundry or something, and my uncle showed up without calling ahead. Instead of knocking on the door so I could put the dogs inside, he just jumped/climbed the fence and went to look at what I needed him to look at. My dogs (a Rott, a GSD mix, and a Husky mix) had never met him before, and they didn't even bark. And then when they annoyed him trying the "help", he told them to go into the kennel, and they did! Some kind of scary watchdogs!

And, yeah, Rotts aren't bullies. It's a reference to a BULLdog background. So, pits, American bulldogs, all the breeds that were used for bull baiting and such.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Rottweilers are in the Molossor family (which is huge), the root family that gave birth to many of the working breeds, they're not Bullies or Mastiffs.

·
Super Moderator
7,306 Posts
Oops, sorry Carla, I've always read in breed histories that they were a type of Mastiff, didn't relize it was wrong, or that there are more breeds than Mastiffs in the Molossor famy. Thanks for the info! :)

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Oh, no problem, in fact it's a common mistake. Little know fact is Pugs are also Molossors and the roots of the Molossor go back to Babylon .Most dogs you see whtha shorter nose and wide head hare molossors including the Shar-pei, Chow, and Rottweiler. Here is one of the more complete lists of breeds in the family,

Akbash Dog
* Alano Español (Spanish Alano)
* Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog
* Alp Mastiff (Cane Garouf)
* American Bulldog, including:
o JDJ American Bulldog
o Scott's American Bulldog
o Southern White American Bulldog
* American Mastiff (Panja)
* Anatolian Shepherd Dog
* Appenzeller Sennenhund
* Argentine Dogo
* Bandog
* Bergamasco
* Bernese Mountain Dog (Berner Sennen)
* Boerboel (South-African Mastiff)
* Boxer
* Broholmer
* Bulldog
* Bullmastiff
* Bully Kutta (Pakistani Mastiff)
* Ca de Bou
* Cane Corso (Sicilian Brancheiro)
* Cão da Serra da Estrela - Estrela Mountain Dog
* Cão de Castro Laboreiro
* Cão de Fila de São Miguel
* Cão de Fila da Terceira
* Cão de Gado Transmontano
* Catahoula Bulldog
* Caucasian Ovcharka
* Central Asia Shepherd Dog
* Dosa Inu (Korean heavier form of Tosa)
* Dogue de Bordeaux (French Mastiff)
* Dogo Cubano
* English Mastiff (Mastiff)
* Entlebucher Sennenhund (Entlebucher Mountain Dog)
* Fila Brasileiro (Brazilian Mastiff)
* Gran Mastin de Borínquen
* Great Dane (German Mastiff)
* Grosser Schweizer Sennenhund (Greater Swiss Mountain Dog)
* Guatemalan Bull Terrier (Dogo Guatemalteco)
* Gull Terr
* Hovawart
* Himalayan Sheepdog
* Indian Mastiff (Sindh Mastiff)
* Irish Staffordshire Bull Terrier
* Kangal Dog
* Kuvasz
* Landseer
* Leonberger
* Moscovskaya Storozhevaya Sobaka (Moscow Watchdog)
* Neapolitan Mastiff
* Nebolish Mastiff
* Newfoundland
* Original English/Wilkinson's Bulldog (The old fighting bulldog)
* Owczarek Podhalanski (Tatra Mountain Sheepdog)
* Perro Cimarron
* Perro de Presa Canario
* Perro de Toro * Pyrenean Mastiff
* Pyrenean Mountain Dog (Great Pyrenees)
* Rottweiler
* Sage Koochee (Afghan Sheepdog)
* Šarplaninac
* Shar Pei
* Spanish Mastiff
* Saint Bernard
* Tibetan Kyi Apso (Bearded Tibetan Mastiff)
* Tibetan Mastiff
* Tosa (Japanese Mastiff)
* Valley Bulldog
* Wilkinson Bulldog

·
Super Moderator
7,306 Posts
Little know fact is Pugs are also Molossors and the roots of the Molossor go back to Babylon
Some Pug history used to say this, but in fact, they no longer believe this is true. Pugs are actually closely related to Pekingese, and share a common ancestor, called the Lo-Sze, with them.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I think one trait that can sometimes get a Rottie into trouble is their sense of humor. A few months back the tree trimmer came when I wasn't outside but one of the dogs was (Carsten) The guy came in and started cutting down part of the tree and Carsten just laid by the house watching him. The next time however, the tree trimmer and his partner came in the yard and both the dogs were out. This time Carsten must have been feeling sassy as he had the guys pinned against the back fence. Oliver was laying up by the house (I suspect playing watch for Carsten) I looked out the window to see the guy move a few inches from the fence and heard a BIG Woof! and they both jumped back against the fence. I swear when Carsten turned toward the house to see if I was coming, he had a HUGE smile on his face. He was about 20 feet away from the guy and never moved toward them. As soon as I walked out there he was all butt wiggle and smiles to the guys. I do not believe for a second that he would have hurt them, I think he had just discovered they reacted to him and he was having fun trying out his new power.

A few days later a lady who I know but the dogs do not came walking right into the house (I was expecting her) and they ran to get their toys for her. Useless watch dogs under normal circumstances but look out for their sassy sense of humor. I wish people for the most part would get over their fear. In the case I told you above, had they just went about their business like he had the time before, Carsten would have just got out of their way but this time, the friend was already afraid of the breed and reacted. Carsten enjoyed their reaction and reinforced it with his big Bark.

·
Registered
373 Posts
One funny story--one time I asked my visiting uncle to take a look at something in my yard to see if he could fix it. I had my dogs out in the fenced yard while I was inside cleaning or doing laundry or something, and my uncle showed up without calling ahead. Instead of knocking on the door so I could put the dogs inside, he just jumped/climbed the fence and went to look at what I needed him to look at. My dogs (a Rott, a GSD mix, and a Husky mix) had never met him before, and they didn't even bark. And then when they annoyed him trying the "help", he told them to go into the kennel, and they did! Some kind of scary watchdogs!
ROFL, reminds me of a story from many years ago, not involving a Rottie btw. My mother (an experienced GSD trainer / handler) and I went to pick something up about 1,5h drive away. As we arrived the lady of the house apologized profoundly, but as the thing we are going to pick up was in a shed in the middle of the yard and the dog was free in the yard she couldn't get it for us - she was afraid of him and her husband was not at home! My mother and I didn't feel like doing a 3h round trip for nothing so we decided to have a look at the 'dangerous dog'. Turns out he was a German Pointer, trained as a hunting, but not a protection dog. we exchanged glances and I entered the yard as the dog was the most distance away from me. Dog looks, tilts head, 'Come!', dog comes, 'Heel' dog heels with perfect focus on me. I walked the dog heel criss-cross around the yard whilst my mother was retrieving the item she came for from the barn. All well, husband comes back and is majorly p'ssd off because HIS dog obeyed a --- WOMAN! ROFL!

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
The best well-manured dog we've ever owned was a Rott. I've never personally known a mean Rottie.

Ban stupid people, not dogs.
Hard to do since THOSE numbers would be astounding.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
The best well-manured dog we've ever owned was a Rott. I've never personally known a mean Rottie.

Ban stupid people, not dogs.
Sorry to point this out but I just noticed it and I cracked up. The best well-MANURED dog. HA HA HA I know it is Mannered and apparently I read it that way the first time but now I was re-reading and noticed it. Kind of funny, isn't it? If you knew my boy Carsten and his back end problems lately it is especially funny.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I think my Rott has been well-manured a few times, too. . .

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sorry to point this out but I just noticed it and I cracked up. The best well-MANURED dog. HA HA HA I know it is Mannered and apparently I read it that way the first time but now I was re-reading and noticed it. Kind of funny, isn't it? If you knew my boy Carsten and his back end problems lately it is especially funny.
That made me laugh too, but since my dog loves horse manure it kind of made sense. ;). He actually destroyed a pair of my riding boots that were covered in manure last month. Nom nom.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
this was NOT was i was expecting when i clicked on this. what just happened??? :( thought there was a good story somewhere....
Afraid to ask what you would consider a good story about Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, and Chows? As a Rottweiler owner and advocate for the breed, I really love the happy stories.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts