Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Probably the only hard physical evidence will be derived from provoking a pit bull.

Well....in the interest of science and the pursuit of truth I would like to volunteer my neighbor..... All we need now is a pitt bull....

·
Super Moderator
11,514 Posts
By golly, you're right, Dobe.

There could be a major dogfighting ring going on in my own basement and I would have no way of knowing. It might be a puppy play group with some heavy betting.

I'm sure the new NFL commissioner will give old Mike the benefit of the doubt.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have been walking and hiking through the woods with my Bully breeds for years and have not ever carried anything. Unless you have another person that has experience with dogs to help break up a fight you are going to get the worse end of the fight. That goes with any breed Bully or not, my friends dog bit down on the dog next door to them when it came into their yard neither was Bully. I lifted the dogs back legs up till he released the other dog and at the same time my friend pulled the other away so it could not get bit again. Any dog fights can be dangerous no matter what breed.
jen, dont take what i said as if i'm telling you you should carry a stick. my brother has had pits and pits only his whole life. he never carried one either.

there is a magazine called bully breeds in the pet stores that talks about that.
obviously any dog fight can be dangerous, even from small dogs. i was just giving refernce to pitbulls having locking jaws and that there jaw muscles are extremly powerfull(but dont lock). some pitbulls will not let go no matter what you do, wich is why sometimes people need device's to pry the dogs jaw open. not every pit bull is a killer, but the ones that are will not let go!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Dory, you know me all too well. I DO think it's hilarious when children get mauled by dogs! Whohoo! A real party for EVERYONE!

Nothing like the smell of blood in the evening! Who's in????

:rolleyes:

You know, that eye roll smiley just doesn't contain enough sarcasm. Maybe if we somehow combined it with that smug looking pink smiley...

*sigh*

:(

·
Super Moderator
11,514 Posts
I don't have to see the video. I already know it's Zeke, the miniature schnauzer.

How else could you explain his ability to hang on to Esther's tale while she's chasing her ball and he's flapping along behind her like a parasailer?

And wouldn't you think she'd notice an extra 18 pounds of baggage?

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #50

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
well i can tell you this. for any of the bully breeds.

from what i've read, they dont have locking jaws, but as a bully owner they say you should carry a strong stick with you. in case a dog attacks your bully breed and your bully bites on and doesnt let go, you would need a stick or pipe to put in its mouth and pry it open.

it really is there willingness to not let go. actually a good fighting technique. just like if your in a fight and you get someone in the headLOCK you dont let go and you will eventually have choked the person out to were they suffacate(or however you spell that).
There are better and safer ways, though many think it's gross, a finger up hte rectum works wonders ON ANY BREED, it you have control of the hind quarters, they can't turn to bite you:eek:

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Can someone explain to me why it would be a good thing to have a "bully" dog that might get into a fight with another dog and not let go? I don't get how that would be a desirable trait please educate me.

·
Super Moderator
11,514 Posts
For one thing, unlike a moray eel, they do not require a very large saltwater aquarium.

Honestly, I think a lot of people get a dog partly out of admiration for their physical capabilities and then they spend every waking minute praying that the dog will never utilize them.

I am speaking, of course, about the fearsome badger-hunting dachshund,

·
Registered
102 Posts
Can someone explain to me why it would be a good thing to have a "bully" dog that might get into a fight with another dog and not let go? I don't get how that would be a desirable trait please educate me.
All dogs can bite and do serious damage to human skin or another dog, what is the point in owning a dog at all? There are traits other than not letting go that make the dog desirable, like their need to please their owners. Most of the people that would want one because it bites down and doesn't let go are the people that shouldn't own any breed of dog.

Annie has a wonderful attitude with humans, best dog that I've ever been around. Annie is also wonderful around other dogs as long as they mind their manners, last week she was playing with a friends toy poodle, that poodle would have been a small gulp for Annie but they were fine. Other dogs have even tried to attack Annie when we were out walking and she let me and my wife take care of it, the only time Annie has shown aggression to another dog is when it did something like jump on me, my wife, or my kids or if they growled at one of us. I have no doubt that if Annie did bight down on another dog that she wouldn't let go, she doesn't let go of tug ropes till I say break, but I also have confidence that she won't attack. How can I say she won't attack, well I take care of the problem before it happens. The only way Annie is going to be locked on to another dog is if someone who is an irresponsible owner lets their dog come over and attack/growl/jump on me and my family. If that situation ever arises I hope that saying break does the trick, but if not I will take it as it comes.

·
Registered
130 Posts
there was a test on animal planet, bite force of a human is about 70-80lb, pit, 230lb, rottwiller 320,lb, none of those 3 locks jaw, it is a myth. thou pits sometimes too stuborn to let go, some credit them locking jaw, but this lock is mental.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
For one thing, unlike a moray eel, they do not require a very large saltwater aquarium.

Honestly, I think a lot of people get a dog partly out of admiration for their physical capabilities and then they spend every waking minute praying that the dog will never utilize them.

I am speaking, of course, about the fearsome badger-hunting dachshund,

LOL-my sister has two dachsies and a chihuahua. 'They are perennial barkers and Amber the dominant female doxy has shown agression. It has bitten my other sister and my husband and when they do bite or show signs of aggressionm my sister right away says "oh what did you do to get them worked up so hard--it is always the persons fault, never the dogsl......

·
Registered
79 Posts
IMO:) The "lock jaw" is just the determination(is that a word?) of the breed, they don't give up. They will give their all on any goal. #1 is loving you, being the best dog/friend that you could ever have. I will never own another dog unless it has "pit" in it. Their not for everyone, you just have to be super cautious with what you do with them or where you take them, and don't listen to the news cause you will lose faith in the media.
Must have thick skin and a mind of your own.:D

·
Registered
102 Posts
IMO:) Must have thick skin and a mind of your own.:D
There is no doubt about that, recently there has been a lot of bad local press on the breed. Only one news stations actually reported the dogs that attacked as being a pit mix the rest just screamed Pit Bull. In fact earlier today I sent an email to Indianapolis Mayor Bart Peterson because of a comment he made on the news saying that pit bulls are evil and he doesn't want them in his city. I found it hard to believe that the mayor could be that ignorant and I think I might have compared him to Hitler in my email. I believe my exact words were, "Hitler thought the Jews were evil too." That isn't the rudest thing I sent in the email so if I'm not posting for the next few days it might be because they arrested me lol. Sorry I just couldn't take such an ignorant comment coming from such an authority figure lightly.

*edit* I just wanted to add a disclaimer before my post is edited/deleted or anyone comes back with a snide/rude remark. I am not comparing anyone who shares the view of the Indianapolis mayor to Hitler. Please don't take that as an insult, I only dislike his comments so much because he is a public figure and should not make ignorant comments like that, especially to the press. Please don't anyone take offense to that part of my post. You have the right to your own opinion on the subject but if you run for public office near where I live and make comments like that you should expect some nasty comments.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
My Bully would NEVER get into a fight unless attacked. In fact mst Bullies are that way. What you haveto remember is that ALL bully breeds were bred to fight SOMETHING be it Bulls, pigs, or other dogs. It's a breed trait just like curly hair on a poodle.

41 - 60 of 92 Posts