·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I say! I dont understand why people have a hard time believing me. I mean come on think about it....Locking....jaws....It sounds anatomically impossible.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I think it probably is anatomically impossible lol. People just like to make them out to be worse than they are...like most things :rolleyes: Like Carla said, they have very strong jaws...and if I am not mistaken they don't even actually have the strongest jaw of all breeds...huh!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Snakes can actually dislocate their jaws so they can swallow something larger than themselves so it is not anatomically impossible although I know nothing about pitbulls. Yesterday on the news in New Jersey two family pit bulls almost malled to death the 6 year old daughter----people heard it from a block away. The parents are at a bedside vigil for their daugter and have not spoken about the incident as of yet. If the parents surrender the dogs they will be euthanized, if the parents do not surrender the dogs it will go to court where I guess a decision on the dog's fates will be made.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I saw one of those "Most Extreme Animals" on the Discovery channel about six months ago.

The theme was "strongest jaw."

Pit bulls were featured, and they were somewhere below number 8 in jaw strength.

No other breeds were features, so I'm not sure how other dogs stack up.

Other creatures included lions, sharks, snapping turtles, alligators, etc.

Pretty impressive!!!!:)

·
Registered
158 Posts
I don't why, snowshoe, but your posts usually motivate me to reply. Maybe it's just the way you phrase things, I feel like I misinterpret your meanings.

Referring to the pit bull's jaws...by impressive, you mean in a bad way, right?The story about the little girl being mauled should not be followed with a light-hearted comment about the impressive power of a pit bull and a smiley face.

So you must not have meant it like, "Isn't that wonderful, pits are to be admired because they have such powerful jaws!" Anyone who has had a scary or even tragic experience with a pit would not appreciate that sentiment.

Including the pit bull in a list with lions, sharks, and alligators only further proves that maybe they aren't the best choice for a house pet.

My readings all conclude the same thing, sillylilykitty. They don't lock their jaws, but are just really strong. I think people use the word "lock" to describe the hold a pit can have with the jaws. Trying to pry open those jaws is pretty impossible and it must feel like they are locked.

·
Super Moderator
11,461 Posts
Let's try to think this through logically.

If a pit bull's jaws locked, wouldn't that mean they were single-use only? Kinda like a bumble bees stinger? That would seem like something of an evolutionary dead-end, wouldn't it?

Or is the dog supposed to have some kind of secret mechanism to unlock his jaws when he's done?

In SCUBA 101, under the hazardous marine life topic, we'd talk about the moray eel having locking jaws. In reality, you could take the eels head off with your diver's knife and have the eel surgically removed from your body, so I'm not sure that 'locking jaws' was really a fair assessment.

Several people have assured me that a moray eel, properly socialized, makes a loving family pet, though they are banned in some short-sighted communities.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Or is the dog supposed to have some kind of secret mechanism to unlock his jaws when he's done?
Someone told me once that once a pit bull "locks on" to something, they can't let go until their upper and lower teeth touch, thus releasing their mouths to open.
I'm actually ashamed to admit that I kind of believed them:eek:

·
Super Moderator
11,461 Posts
Well, at the very least, it's not a secret any more. Pit bulls will have to start carrying concealed weapons.

So a pit bull with a serious over- or under-bite would be outta luck, huh?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I don't have any number figures for individual breeds, but as far as I know dog bites range anywhere from 250 to 400 PSIs (I'm assuming those figures apply to large breeds, I can't fathom a yorkie with a 250psi bite).

But that whole "pitt bull jaws lock" is as true and logical as the fact that dobie's brains make their heads explode, or whatever the myth is.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Referring to the pit bull's jaws...by impressive, you mean in a bad way, right?The story about the little girl being mauled should not be followed with a light-hearted comment about the impressive power of a pit bull and a smiley face.
She didn't say anything about the pitbulls jaws being "impressive". Her comment was after she listed a few other animals that were featured in the show, who, indeed have pretty impressive bite strength. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,461 Posts
I did an extensive Google search. There is no clinical evidence that a pit bull locks its jaws. They can, however, unhinge their jaws which allows them to swallow whole sheep.

They only have to do that every few months, but you can understand why pits are rarely used to herd sheep.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
that would mean that a pit bull has the ability to UNLOCK their jaws---hyperextend or dislocate them to swallow big things--like an Anaconda

·
Super Moderator
11,461 Posts
Pretty scary, huh?

I don't imagine a pit bull would have an opportunity to swallow an anaconda, though.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
That's so wierd. I don't like the thought of a dog being able to swollow anything the size of a sheep.

·
Super Moderator
11,461 Posts
I believe it's imperative that the sheep be freshly sheered. Otherwise the wool irritates the dogs throat and he coughs it right back up again in one honkin' big furball.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I believe it's imperative that the sheep be freshly sheered. Otherwise the wool irritates the dogs throat and he coughs it right back up again in one honkin' big furball.
Are you joking about the unhinging thing?? You are right?

·
Super Moderator
11,461 Posts
Have you ever known me to joke about anything as serious as sheep security?

I was serious, at least, about moray eels. Do NOT, under any circumstances, go sticking your hand in holes in the coral, even if you think there might be a lobster in there.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts