Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking around there seem to be tons of pit bull haters online, they have websites and blogs, mostly assoicated with the infamous dogsbite.org. They seem like a cultish group, with tons of absolutes, even mildly disagreeing can make you an outcast. They seem to be trying to protray pit bulls as dangerous as wild lions.
Often their writing tactics include weak fallacies, espcially attaking pit bull owners themselves as irresponsble, breed blind idiots.
I have met people, in real life, offline, who dislike pit bulls, but are not rabid about it.
Most of the people I met who don't like this breed/type are scared for a reason:
They were attacked by a pit bull.
They had a pet mauled by a pit bull.
They saw something on the news or heard a scary story about them.
I don't think these people can even be compared to the pit bull haters you see online.
I often see the logic of the people I meet in real life, and let them alone, they aren't really hurting the breed by not liking them anymore then I am hurting bichon frises by not liking them.
The people online are really just rabid haters, spurting half truths about pit dogs and promoting what I can only see as a hate cult.
Anybody else have something to say?

·
Registered
17,901 Posts
Fantatics exist in almost every group, and are usually the vocal minority.

And

Online allows people to find like minded people (including other idiots) and feel safe in numbers. It allows people to say things they would never say in real life. It also allows for, and encourages, a lot of hyperbole.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I think almost anyone on this forum would agree that they are just what you portrayed them as, a cultish minority that spends way too much time trying to have a large internet presence. Not much else to say about them. I could find a lot of extremist people online who completely disagree with different aspects of me and my life, but I choose not to seek them out the same way I avoid the BSL enthusiasts.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with you. It seems they have made like three million blogs. By they way, Bennie is the most adorable thing I have seen all day.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Aw thank you! I think she's the cutest thing on the planet, and judging by the fact she thinks she can get anyone's attention on the street just by giving them 'the eyes' she thinks she is too! :p

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've mentioned in a previous thread my mom's boyfriend had a pit bull that was unsocialized, aggressive, and killed another dog at a medium provocation (and from what I heard about the story, didn't even need that provocation). However, every other pit bull I've met has been super sweet, energetic, and playful. I think the nature of the breed attracts irresponsible macho owners, and unfortunately a lot of them are raised by those owners and grow up with aggression issues, and that's probably how they get such a bad reputation.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That being said, I have no problem with the notion that some breeds are inherently more dangerous that others. Certainly bigger, more powerful dogs are more dangerous just because of the potential harm they can cause when they choose to do so. But also that some breeds might be more predisposed to violence. I wouldn't know from experience, but stereotypically a pit bull fits that description. I don't really have a problem with people being wary of a particular breed, especially if that results in inexperienced owners choosing a more forgiving dog as a pet. But unfortunately that does little to deter the real culprits, people like my mom's boyfriend, who quite frankly thought the little dog deserved to die and was proud of his pit bull for killing it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
49 Posts
How does the judge let this guy post bail? And how does one of those conditions of bail not include not getting his dog back?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That being said, I have no problem with the notion that some breeds are inherently more dangerous that others. Certainly bigger, more powerful dogs are more dangerous just because of the potential harm they can cause when they choose to do so. But also that some breeds might be more predisposed to violence. I wouldn't know from experience, but stereotypically a pit bull fits that description. I don't really have a problem with people being wary of a particular breed, especially if that results in inexperienced owners choosing a more forgiving dog as a pet. But unfortunately that does little to deter the real culprits, people like my mom's boyfriend, who quite frankly thought the little dog deserved to die and was proud of his pit bull for killing it.
I can't help but agree. I have spent tons of time around pit bulls, and they have become very dear to me. But I'm not an idiot, all breeds are controlled partly by genetics. Idiot pit bull owners not only often raise their dogs wrong, but breed them wrong: And that's why I want regulation on how pit bull types are bred, although I am 100% against breed bans.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
I'm curious what you mean by this. Pits are medium sized dogs (40-50lbs usually) and are certainly not predisposed to violence in any sense of the word, presuming you mean by birth. (unless bad breeding is at play) In fact, I've yet to meet a pit that hadn't already decided I was its BEST BUDDY EVER, and I've met quite a few.

There are lots of dogs that are much bigger than pits that aren't villainized or believed to be inherently dangerous. The notion that some breeds are inherently more dangerous than others is what gets dogs that have done nothing wrong taken away from their families and killed just because of what they look like.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm curious what you mean by this. Pits are medium sized dogs (40-50lbs usually) and are certainly not predisposed to violence in any sense of the word, presuming you mean by birth. (unless bad breeding is at play) In fact, I've yet to meet a pit that hadn't already decided I was its BEST BUDDY EVER, and I've met quite a few.

There are lots of dogs that are much bigger than pits that aren't villainized or believed to be inherently dangerous. The notion that some breeds are inherently more dangerous than others is what gets dogs that have done nothing wrong taken away from their families and killed just because of what they look like.
People by and large think they are dangerous. http://www.dognotebook.com/15-dangerous-dog-breeds-most-likely-to-turn-on-their-owners/ breed ban laws, etc. they have a bad reputation. Not saying they deserve it, but the fact is they do.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I guess it just seemed odd that you said you agreed with it and then called it a stereotype.
I didn't really agree with it... My pit bull experience is limited to what I wrote above. I do know they are physically very powerful, but I don't know if they are predisposed to higher levels of aggression. I was making a hypothetical description of a breed that is powerful and predisposed to aggression, and making the case that for many people a pit bull fits that description. I was more talking about public perception that the breed itself. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I really don't care if some people dislike Pit Bulls. There are some breeds of dogs I dislike too. But make sure you're disliking them for the right reasons. Most of the reasons people come up with are based on myths.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
When it comes down to it, we've discussed on here many times, pits can often (but not always!) be DA.....that doesn't warrant their reputation as man eaters, and if I understand correctly a HA pit is a rarity that is usually caused by human error, rather than genetics or instinct. I'm against BSL, but with the possibility of DA....I could understand (though wouldn't like it because it would exclude some perfectly fine dogs), if say off leash dog parks didn't allow them....but then of course there is the identification issue which just makes the whole concept a mess.

I think BSL is dumb, I hate it. I met two pits in Schutzhund, and they were AWESOME dogs, dog friendly, human friendly, well balanced and very sweet (tbh, I actually liked their personalities as much or better than many of the GSDs there). I will though, completely respect an individual who says "sorry, I just don't like them, I had an incident with a bad one, and they make me uncomfortable", just like I'm fine with a person who might say that about dogs in general...but there is a HUGE gap between the individual who actively avoids a breed, or doesn't allow them near them through whatever means, and one (or a group of them) that tries to demonize an entire breed, its like saying that anyone with a particular racial background will automatically be a thief or whatever. Its just ignorant.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
The most worrisome pit bull hate organization, in my book, is the State of Victoria, Australia. Pits, pit crosses, and anything that looks like a pit according to their standard are totally banned. A few that were registered prior to Sept 2011 have been grandfathered in, provided they are desexed. Any other pit-like dog can be seized by local authorities -- many have beein seized and pts. See http://www.depi.vic.gov.au/pets/dogs/restricted-breed-dogs . . . and http://www.depi.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/246863/Revised-Restricted-Breed-Standards-as-at-200314.pdf for how they determine what dogs are 'pit bulls'.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts