Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As far as Pit Bulls go, isn't it good not to exercise their mouth? Like tug of war or other things that involve it using its jaw and holding on to something. The reason i'm asking this is because I think it would be good not to let Pit Bulls know they have a really strong jaw in the first place. That, and those kind of activities shouldn't be encouraged for a breed with that kind of history.

What do you think?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Playing tug of war and games like that do not make a dog more aggressive, and there is no need not to play tug of war or any jaw games with pitties.

Those are good games to let energy out, and dogs do not think, oh man my jaw is strong, I can do something with this..

Those kind of "activities" don't lead to aggression, if the pitbull is going to become aggressive towards dogs in its life, then there is no way to tell when that will be.

Tug of war=aggression is one of the oldest dog myths

Just because a dog is a certain breed doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to play fetch (which works jaw muscles) play frisbee (works jaw muscles) play tug of war, play with a flirt pole(works jaw muscles), that's not very fare...

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
It's not that, but in most older dog training books, and most old time trainers, there is a lot of myths, especially the, "don't play tug of war game" and a lot of them seem to compare dogs to humans too much, when in reality, dogs aren't as shallow as we are :p

·
Registered
99 Posts
i made a spring pole for my pit. i just give him motivation by saying "good boy, keepit going, bring the tree down, get it boy" stuff like that. i dont trust the actual springs so i usea old bike innertube instead. if it breaks, not too much damage happens. definately a good thing to do to get rid of energy and if you make the spring po,=le more horizontal than it can help conition the chest neck and back better.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I don't think I really understand.

No it is good to exercise their mouth. For what else do they or any other dog have to use? They don't have hands only their mouth to hold on.

Mine love tug of war its probably not good for me, as its a killer on my shoulder when they shake. The springpole is much better. IMO this is the perfect type of game. Especially with their history, being gripping breed. I can't think of what would be better? :confused:

Good thing they don't know. Dogs don't know how strong they are, how strong their jaws are. If they use the springpole everyday but still have butter cutters and never use the springpole but have a very hard mouth it isn't as if they recognize it. Unlike humans I don't think they see themselves that way.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Lily loves tug of war, she plays with my 5 yr old and drags him across the floor on his butt because he sits down for more leverage. :D

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Spicy, I think what he was getting at was if a pitty knew how much damage it could do, it would be more likely to do damage..but since they don't think like cynical people, that happening is pretty much ruled out.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Bully breeds in general love these types of activities. To grab on, hold and thrash is second nature to these dogs. Thinking something "negative" of Pitbulls regarding tug-o-war is media propaganda.

I've taught my Pitbull hold and release commands. My nephew loves to play tug-o-war with old towels, shirts, cloths, etc. He would not go for it unless told so, however. Imagine, if he went to rip and tug on any piece of cloth we just so happen to be holding!

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Ok that is what I was trying to get at. You said it much more simple. Maybe I didn't make sense.

I meant a dog doesn't realize their own strength. It isn't like a person who has natural strength and works out realizes how strong they are. When a dog is worked they are just having fun and burning energy.

A 2xw that barely breaks the skin in fights would know how to shake, hold - bite but still doesn't do a lot of damage. At the same a Pit that's never been in a fight ever finally gets into one on accident and does serious damage without having any previous experience. Neither has an awareness of the amount of actual damage they are doing.

Basically they'll bite as hard as they will bite. They'll grip and hold naturally, so you are not preventing anything by not allowing that dog to play tug. Tug away.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts