Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:My dad is a big pit bull lover and has had them for over 30 years...He just e-mailed me this.

It takes a second; click on the link look down the page and vote thumbs down ASAP

> Subject: [apbt-61] PLEASE VOTE RIGHT NOW!! Pit Bull Ban voting on AOL..
>
> I just discovered an article today that was apparently published in
various places two days ago, "Cities Struggle Over Dangerous Dog
Laws". And in the article, they are proposing a pit bull ban in Milwaukee.
OUTRAGEOUS!! But even more disheartening was the Poll that AOL is running.. They
ask the question, "What do you think of pit bull bans?" As of now, 57%
say "THUMBS UP". And only 43% say "Thumbs down." Please
don't let this poll finish with a huge slant towards positive reinforcement
of the ridiculous idea of pit bull bans, which they have proven do not work to
curb dog bites or death from dog attacks. You never know what AOL or anyone else
will end up doing with the results of the poll..it could become a huge factor in
trying to sway public opinion. VOTE NOW - right this second - to counteract this
stupidity. Vote "THUMBS DOWN" for pit bull bans!!!" Scroll down
- the poll is right below the photo. And please pass this poll on to any other
dog lovers you know..immediately. I'm not sure how long the poll will stay
open for voting.
>
> http://news.aol.com/article/pit-bull-and-dangerous-dog-laws/317421
http://news.aol.com/article/pit-bull-and-dangerous-dog-laws/317421

·
Registered
750 Posts
Is there an option to ban stupid parents who never teach their kids to NOT peek on a fence that may have a territorial dog in the other side?

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Sent that poll off to many people. Lets hope it can change. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys....Im going to play around on photo bucket tomorrow to figure out how i can put a picture of my cooper along with pictures of my dad's 2 pit bulls. One he got from a rescue and she was due to be put down the next day. She was used as a bait dog for dog fighting, besides a missing rib,2 broken legs that were never taken care of, and scars all over she is the sweetes little girl. Then there is scrappy who he also got from a rescue league who was neglected and is also a great dog. Its sad because its not the breeds fault.

·
Banned
5 Posts
see me I am on the line my 2 sisters have pits and breed them and i also know of some one who raised one sense he was a pup 4 years down the road the dog bit his face really bad he had to get like 100 or so stitches and he thought the dog was having a bad day so he kept the dog and then couple month down the road the dog took a chunk out of his arm .... he treated this dog like his kid never was mean to him at all ...lost on this breed of dog

Me personally I wouldn't want one even tho they are beautiful dogs

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My dad did rescue one about a year ago and when he got him he was very sweet, hyper but sweet. My brother brought him to work everyday and there was a hot dog vendor outside that use to give spade a hot dog everyday. One morning my brother went to the shop and the hot dog guy went to give spade a hot dog and he almost took the hotdog guys face off, after that he was very tempermental so my dad had him put down right away. That was the one and only pit he ever had that had to be put down for that reason in 30 years. I have 3 kids and my dads dogs are very good with the kids. To be honest I was leary at first because of their history but now I dont worry at all.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Well, I don't think there should be a ban on owning a pit bull, but I do think that there should be some sort of ban on people owning them who can't handle them. Maybe just a license to own or something.. no matter what anyone says there -are- more pit bull bites than any other breed of dog, and I think most of them could have been prevented if the owners had taken some care.

·
Registered
120 Posts
We in hawaii is getting this stupid pitbull banning too!!! But they aren't being too public about it. Although some people has bought it up on craigslist. I really think its dumb having a law to ban pitbulls. I really believe it's the owner's fault. There are some dogs that attack like pitbulls but I don't see them banning them. I think they should have a license to own a pitbull. If you wanna own a pitbull go to school to teach it instead of banning it. Like a driver's license. If you fail it you can't drive and if you pass it you can drive. So like the pitbull license if you pass it you can own one, if you don't then you can't own one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't mean to argue. Yet your still in some ways punishing the responsible owners. A license is going to fill up the shelters quick. Some people won't but some people will. I think that instead of a ban or licensing the for the Pit bull. A writen statement should be signed that enforces the law. That says something in the lines of:

(informations on the breed of dog or animal)
I Joe Smith will by law be held fully accountable for the actions of my new (breed). In the event that my dogs does bodily harm to any person or animal. I will be held fully responsible. I will promise to shelter and feed (name of dog or animal). I will do my best to ensure that (name of dog) is properly trained in the basic commands and on a leash when out in public. I will work to the best of my abilities to socialize (name of dog). I will also ensure to microchip or tattoo(some people say it's a better security then chipping) my dog so that the vet and animal control can know whose dog it is and get in contact with me the invent my dog does get loose. If i fail to do any of these things I understand the potential danger and harm my dog or animal could be in my community and will act accordingly. I also understand that I will be held to the full extent of the law if found to be neglectful or abusive towards (name of dog).

Breed:__________ (name of animal)___________
Signature_________________________________

Now it doesn't have to be just like this. Yet I would gladly sign off on something like this from a breeder or vet. That can go on file at the local Animal control were ever I go. I know that it may be drastic but a license is just more money that could be spent on ensuring your dog is properly trained,fed and sheltered.

·
Registered
424 Posts
rott bull terror and maybe bull dog and others mix is what makes a pit so i herd...
American Bulldog + Staffordshire bull terrier = Pitbull

And I agree with SW. You should really consider your sources before you try to pass the info off as fact.

·
Registered
424 Posts
ok stitch..

Original English Bulldog + English White Terrier = American Pit Bull Terrier
Hmmm... I gotta ask you to link me. It was my understanding the AB + SBT = APBT.

But I've been wrong before. :D

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Hmmm... I gotta ask you to link me. It was my understanding the AB + SBT = APBT.

But I've been wrong before. :D
http://www.apbt.info/tiki-index.php?page=History+of+the+APBT

http://www.workingpitbull.com/history.htm

Here are two links...APBT can be a bit murky to pick through but the one thing they ALL agree on is that the APBT is a cross between the original English Bulldog and a english white colored terrier. I can provide about thirty more links that say the exact same thing if you wish...

·
Registered
424 Posts
http://www.apbt.info/tiki-index.php?page=History+of+the+APBT

http://www.workingpitbull.com/history.htm

Here are two links...APBT can be a bit murky to pick through but the one thing they ALL agree on is that the APBT is a cross between the original English Bulldog and a english white colored terrier. I can provide about thirty more links that say the exact same thing if you wish...
Thanks Zim. But the 1st link had this to say about APBT, "We will never truly know what breeds contributed to genes of the dogs that ended up in the Americas, nor will we know what dogs in America became the actual American Pit Bull Terrier."

:D I'm afraid I'm gonna need the other 30 links. ;)

·
Registered
472 Posts
American Bulldog + Staffordshire bull terrier = Pitbull

And I agree with SW. You should really consider your sources before you try to pass the info off as fact.
Nope. The American Pit Bull Terrier is a pure breed of dog, developed in the 1700's/1800's, descending from the bull and terrier crosses that originated in England. The American Staffordshire Terrier split from the APBT when the AKC was formed, and gradually became a dog strictly bred for show with it's own specific standard. APBT's tend to vary widely in appearance because they wre traditionally bred for function as opposed to form. The American Bulldog is a completely seperate breed. Staffordshire Bull Terriers also descend from the original bull and terrier crosses, but differ from ASTs and APBTs, since they were bred "across the pond" and didn't cross with the american bred dogs.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Nope. The American Pit Bull Terrier is a pure breed of dog, developed in the 1700's/1800's, descending from the bull and terrier crosses that originated in England. The American Staffordshire Terrier split from the APBT when the AKC was formed, and gradually became a dog strictly bred for show with it's own specific standard. APBT's tend to vary widely in appearance because they wre traditionally bred for function as opposed to form. The American Bulldog is a completely seperate breed. Staffordshire Bull Terriers also descend from the original bull and terrier crosses, but differ from ASTs and APBTs, since they were bred "across the pond" and didn't cross with the american bred dogs.
I don't think you understood my post. Nobody said that AB and SBT were the same.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts