Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a day. The weather was perfect, the mood was great, and there was Pit Bulls as far as the eye could see. There was only once incident at the whole event and that was by Your's truely. *Sighs* Nubs Prong collar failed right when I was trying to get his attention away from another dog. So Nubs decided to go play with that dog, and I stood there holding his leash and prong collar. oops...

But the rest of the event was great. Even the New stations came out and took a look. In fact, NUBS AND I MADE THEIR FRONT PAGE! http://www.woodtv.com/ AHHHHH! (Link of the article http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/grand_rapids/Dog_owners_gather_say_pits_get_bad_rap) Gotta love it!!!!

And some photos:
Group photo. Pretty much every dog and owner in it. We are estimating at least 60 dogs:

And a few more here http://pets.webshots.com/album/572341629JwYhcS?vhost=pets

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Awesome!!!! This event fills me with pride and I'm not even a Pit owner. I'm so glad you guys were able to get out there and educate the public. I'm sure that many people had their first real-life experience with a Pit at your event and I hope it really got them thinking. :)

I really feel for all you Pit owners, lovers, and rescuers. The wolfdogs I work with get such a similar bad rap and it's a struggle just to get them to safety from the shelters (who want to kill them), and protect them from irresponsible careless owners. I'm sure you guys are in the same boat, and I just want to say kudos for sticking to your guns and giving these great dogs a chance, not only in your home but also in the public eye.

Pit owners rock. :D

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
That is SO awesome! I'm glad to hear it went so well...even with Nubs escaping for a play! :)

It's so great that you got to be involved in something like that!

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Wonderful DM!! I'm so happy you had great weather for an even greater cause.

And making front page... well, there'll be no living with Nubs now!!! :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Aw I'm glad it turned out so well. I was going to make it out there today with Bruno but got tied up with other things and couldn't make it :( . I just saw the news and they mentioned it....unfortunately it was a 3 second mention but at least it made the news!

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
That is awesome, congrats!

Wow, news like this seems to attract a lot of uninformed people... *reading all the ignorant comments on the news page* Somebody doesn't even know what a prong collar is and what it does. >9.9<

·
Registered
235 Posts
Thats Great!! im Glad people had a GOOD experiance with pit bulls. they are my favorite breed im glad things like these happen :)

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Darkmoon, I am so proud of you! I think the pit bull breed needs many more courageous people like yourself to stand in defense of them. This Nobel breed takes such a hit from media and public ignorance. It needs more folks like you and the many rescue advocates that walked in it's defense.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If anyone is interested, My dad recorded the segment and I have it on You Tube. To bad it was so short... I really wish they would have talked more about it.

I was quite shocked at the response from the general public as we did the actual walk. Many people shouting out windows "NO BSL" or "PIT BULLS ROCK" Many of the members ended up stopping and speaking to the general public about what was going on. Even had people who lived near by stand on the side of the roads and watch us pass. Then again, how often do you see 60+ dogs walking down the road? But not one rude comment the whole time. Everyone expected it, but not one came.

I can't wait for the next one. They are talking about a dock diving event, weight pull (for beginnings even) and other Pit Bull related events. The group is going from just an awareness group to a full out club. Just shy of 200 members and No need to own a Pit Bull to be in it. Just a Pit Bull lover!

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
OMG!! DM That was AWESOME!!! :D

I wish there was something like that in my area...looks like it was a ton of fun.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OMG!! DM That was AWESOME!!! :D
I love that video of Nubs and myself. It really shows his personality just in the 2 seconds that it was on there. Anyone that wants to meet him, expect that. That's pretty much how day-to-day live is with him.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Love the video :) Even though it is short it's still a big step in the right direction to have it on the news!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts