·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.wwmt.com/articles/attacked-1363805-year-battle.html
9-year-old attacked by pit bull
Comments 8 | Recommend 1
June 19, 2009 - 10:11 PM

BATTLE CREEK, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) - A nine-year-old girl in Battle Creek is recovering after being attacked by a pit bull.

The girl was attacked while playing near a park, and if it wasn't for one person in the right place at the right time, it could have been much worse. The girl's rescuer was a woman who saw the whole ordeal unfold from her living room window.

The girl was playing in a playground at the Freedom Lane Apartments, just feet away from her front door, when she was attacked by a pit bull.

"I ran and she jumped on me and fell," said Shania Crappoff, who was attacked.

Crappoff walked away from the incident with just a few minor bruises and scrapes, but it could have been a lot worse if it wasn't for a neighbor who heard screams coming through her window.

"A lady came and picked me up and started kicking at the dog to get it away from me," said Crappoff.

Crappoff's rescuer was Laurica Brown.

"I took off running from my house, and pulled her from underneath the pit bull," said Brown.

As a mother of three, Brown says it was her own maternal instinct that was unleashed that day.

"I didn't even think about it, I just took off running to help that little girl," said Brown.

As for Crappoff's mother, she says she's grateful that neighbors were keeping watch, and even more grateful that her daughter's injuries were just a few scrapes and bruises.

"Luckily it wasn't too serious," said Tamika Priestly, Crappoff's mother. "It could have been worse, it scares you because it was your kid."

Newschannel 3 has been told that police have the pit bull in quarantine. That comes as quite a relief to many neighbors who say that they've been afraid to let their kids outside to play.

Guess what? They SHOWED the girl's wounds on the 6'oclock news. They are HORRIBLE. I can't believe it. Beware, Anger will surely follow once you see the wound...

Media is out of control. This wasn't an attack! Come ON! I have a blister on my foot from new shoes that is worse then that! The little girl is LAUGHING over the scratch. Why do Pit Bulls get a bad name? This is why. Yes the owner was irresponsible for allowing their dog to be off leash but COME ON! THIS IS NEWS?!?!?!?!

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
That's pretty ridiculous. The lengths they will go to demonize this breed have hit a new low..

(How much do you want to bet this dog probably wasn't even a Pit Bull, either, and was some other Bully breed or mix?)

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Did he "attack" her to lick her? I got lots of scratches and bruises as a kid from the rottie that lived down the street. We got attacked by her almost daily . . . she would come knock us down and lick us from head to toe before letting us go back to play. If at any point she thought "her kids" were dirty, she would come clean us up again.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
That's just nuts...from the news story I was expecting to see mauling...or at least a bite mark.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
IMO if the dog was actually intent on attacking her damage would have been done long before that lady got out of her house and over to them.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Says in the article that she ran and it jumped! Dogs nature to chase! More parents need to teach their children to stand still and ignore the dog. If it had been a shih tzu she prob wouldnt have ran! Owner should have had dog on a lead and why was the kid playing unsupervised?! Hope fully the dog wont get put down and it will be kept on a lead in the future.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
That's just nuts...from the news story I was expecting to see mauling...or at least a bite mark.
Me too.
That story's so ridiculous:(

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Really??

It sounds like the dog just ran at her and knocked her over doesn't it? If the dog was trying to attack her it would probably have done something in the time it took for that lady to run from her house, to the park.

I swear people make me crazy! Wonder if it was even a pit bull?

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I think people would truly be surprised to see how often these articles are blown way out of proportion. Would that same story have made the press at all if it were a Golden Retriever? I doubt it. :(

·
Registered
442 Posts
It's utterly ridiculous. In my town, a few weeks ago they led with "2 pit bulls attack woman and her dog."

Went on to say that this woman was getting out of her car and 2 loose pit bulls jumped on her dog. During the scuffle, the woman fell to the ground and scraped her knee. Her dog had some bruises but the skin wasn't even broken and the dogs never did anything to the woman. If those dogs had actually meant to harm the dog or the woman, it would've been much worse.

In January, my rat terrier was attacked on our street by a 110 pound GSD mix. My dog sustained 2 puncture wounds on the back of his neck and I also fell to the ground trying to get the dog off mine. Where were the news crews then?

If it ain't a pit bull, it just ain't news. It's insane how out of control the media frenzy is when it comes to pit bulls.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Well it's great that that woman helped the little girl, but any dog could've attacked her. I grew up raising golden retreivers and bloodhounds and once when someone brought a golden retriever which they thought was ours, but it wasen't, it bit me right on the eye and I had to go to the hospital. Everyone asks when they see the scar "What happened?'' I always say "A dog bit me." and they are like "OH pitbulls, they should be outlawed." I was like "No it wasen't a pitbull, it was a golden retriever, yeah, sure the sweetest dog on earth!" I still help my mother breed goldens and bloodhounds, I don't hold it against the breed, just because of one dog. I think that not liking pit bulls is almost like racism.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Completely ridiculous. Smalls has scratched me worse TODAY alone than that during chase in the yard. If that pit was actually attacking her, there is no question it would have been a lot worse than that. I'd like to meet that pit in question.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
OMG!!! They are so nuts. They really need a story. I should have put DH on news yesterday as he got a scratch from a very happy Pit which bled quite a bit more then usual because of how the nail got him.

I should also deserve to be on the news. I've had at least that bad or worse, though from other breeds. When do I get a turn.

Was this just a case of excited, friendly dog not knowing how to use manners with children. Knocking her over and scratching her up? That is what it sounds like to me. This is not an attack no matter how you look at it. There is a huge difference between accidental injury, a bite and then a REAL attack. Being attacked isn't being jumped on, scratched or even nipped in terms of dog attacks.

And why the F was this dog off leash? Where was/is the owner?! People want to complain that they get a bad name and many of those same people are contributing to it by letting their Pits roam, ect.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I feel the lady that did the rescuing kinda made the story out like she was a hero, if was a true attack, she would have been unable to stop it by her self!

We just had a story about an attack that really sounded fishy to me! A girls X-boy friend was visiting her and her dog was in the way so he pushed the dog out of the way with his foot and the dog attacked him, and he had to go to the hospital for his injuries. They did not name the kind of dog on the first article, but the next day in the follow up, sure enough, it had to be a pit bull and the X-girl friend alowed animal control to PTS. And they even stated the dog did not have rabies, so the public can sleep better tonight.

My only point is, and I put an article in the paper, "you push a dog out of the way with your hand, but you use your foot to kick the dog which I am sure is what he did". But I cannot beleive the this exgirl friend let them destroy the dog.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
The ex GF in that story might not have had a choice? Is there a law about dogs that attack must be PTS in that area?

As for this story yeah I think the lady wanted to sound heroic. That does make sense. If she knew what she was doing she could stop a real attack by herself but not the way she did nor without the young girl already being injured by the dog before she gets there and stops the attack.

·
Registered
35 Posts
OH MY!!!! My Cocker Spaniel nipped me when I was trying to put ointment in his eyes tonight! Should I alert the media?!?!?!?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts