Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted multiple times over the months about Colby's obsession with toys. (Laurelin, I know you can relate!) It's at a level where we cannot leave toys out in the house because she will put them in our lap and bark for us to throw them. I never do throw them. If she does that, I just say, "all gone" and put it away.

It kind of sucks because Ace would be more than happy to play with toys on his own (he loves to drop the Kong, chase it around, pounce on it, etc.) and I would love to be able to leave toys out for them to play with, but if he has a toy Colby will lay down across the room and bark at him (all the while he completely ignores her).

Unfortunately she is just so nuts about toys that we have to put them all away. I'm curious if there is a good way--or better yet, if it's even possible--to desensitize her to the toys. Should I start slow (with 1 or 2 toys at a time) and just ignore her if she brings them over? Should I put all the toys on the ground at the same time (to overwhelm?) and then ignore? I'm willing to put in the work, but any help or advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Neither, actually. Colby has already proven that ignoring him doesn't work. (Borders can be a bit obsessive.) Overwhelming him isn't likely to work, either.

What you need to click/treat is the reaction you do want. Do you want him to look at you? To sit? To go to mat? Figure out what you would like him to do and click/treat that behavior. I would start small, one toy of the lowest value for him for 30 seconds. If he so much as glances away or stops barking for a second, click/treat. You need to build on whatever behavior you can get, not wait for the full behavior you want to end up with.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
(Borders can be a bit obsessive.)
Understatement of the century, lol.

Thank you for the advice. Ideally I'd like for her to either ignore toys in the house or play with them on her own. I've actually seen her playing with toys on her own, so I know somewhere deep down it is possible. Over the weekend she took a squeeky toy into the living room and squeeked it rolled around with it for like 15 minutes by herself. I was so excited, but like many ignorant dog owners, I didn't want to interrupt the good behavior! >.<

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I know! I've made that mistake, too. At least you know you have some desired behavior to work off of. It's a start.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts