Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I noticed Marley had an unusual amount of discharge out of only his left eye. Today I noticed it looks like a greenish color and gooey. His eye is also watery. It seems like it may be slightly swollen and red and he isn't opening it as far as his other eye.

It looks like the doggy equivalent of pink eye. I did a search on dog pink eye and he seems to match the symptoms, except he isn't trying to itch his eye. Just wondering if anyone else's dog has had pink eye. Does this sound like pink eye to you or could it be something else? Any tips on home treatment until I can get him to the vet? He got a bath on Monday night with flea shampoo, is it possible he could've gotten some shampoo in his eye and that caused this?

Also, if it is pink eye, is it possible that he could spread it to us as well?

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Sounds like conjunctivitis, which is relatively common, contagious, and easily treated if you have a dog that's comfortable with you putting stuff in his eyes. But I would check with the vet for a definitive diagnosis, and to make sure it doesn't get worst. For now, I would gently clean his eye with a paper towel and saline solution.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts