Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to switch my dog to a pill for flea and tick treatment. Does anyone use this option? What do you use or which one do you feel is the best?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I'm on 2.5 months using Bravecto. Very impressed. My dog with seizure problem has done fine on it, as have the other two. No fleas. No ticks. Have had problems with several other flea treatments . . . .fleas seem to be resistant. Bravecto seems very expensive until you realize it works for three months.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great. Thanks for the post sandgrubber. I have been looking at that as well as Trifexis.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have had Cady on Bravecto for 5 months now & she has had no problems. Really works for the ticks, we don't usually have problems with fleas.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Bravecto gets a thumbs up from me as well. Tick season where I live is winding down, but fleas can be an issue, so I'll be giving my pup another dose in a couple of days just to get him through fall.

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
I have mine on NexGard. The papillon has had no issues. The AKK had dry fur on his back and was shedding some guard hairs... not sure if that was related to the pill or not. I switched him back to Revolution this month to see if it changes.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My pup's dose of Bravecto was due today. First time, he took it as if it were just another treat. Today I had to break it into 4 pieces and roll them in peanut butter. He didn't even chew them. He's always been kind of fussy, though...as in one day he'll eat something and the next he'll turn up his nose at the same thing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have decided to go with Bravecto and her vet has approved it. I will receive it shortly from PetCareRx.

·
Registered
693 Posts
This year it seems the fleas are resistant to everything!! We tried everything from cheap stuff to medium stuff. We bombed and treated the house........FINALLY we used Advantix and Capstar. Seems under control now.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I have decided to go with Bravecto and her vet has approved it. I will receive it shortly from PetCareRx.
It doesn't look like it does anything with deer ticks which in NJ is also a problem ... if it is where you are this might not be effective. Deer ticks could equal Lymes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Uh, oh. I am here in Maryland and we have deer ticks. Doing some research now to see what else I may be better off giving her. What would you suggest Dog Person?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
It doesn't look like it does anything with deer ticks which in NJ is also a problem ... if it is where you are this might not be effective. Deer ticks could equal Lymes.
Where do you see that? The reports I've read say only gives two months coverage for lone star tick . . . but is good for 3 mo for other species, including the deer tick. From http://drjustinelee.com/new-fleatick-medication-bravecto-just-approved/

Bravecto comes in a pork-flavored, hydrolyzed chewable flavored soft chew; it’s hydrolyzed, so can be safely given to dogs with food allergies also. Bravecto comes in multiple sizes for dogs (11.5 mg, 250 mg, 500 mg, 1000 mg, 1400 mg) and is unique is that is quickly and effectively kills fleas and multiple tick species [including Ixodes (commonly known as the hard shell deer tick); Deracentor (commonly known as the American dog tick); and Rhipicephalus (commonly known as the brown dog tick)] within 12 hours. Bravecto also kills Amblyomma (the lone star tick), but this only lasts for 8 weeks after dosing (due to the unique way that lone star ticks ingest their blood meals).
Studies have shown that a single dose of Bravecto can quickly, safely, and effectively kill fleas and ticks within 12 hours – this is amazing news, since it will help prevent the transmission of Borrelia burgdorferi (the spirochete that causes Lyme disease) before the tick can transmit it to a dog. Down with Lyme disease and it’s deadly chronic form (Lyme nephritis, more often seen in Golden retrievers and Labrador retrievers).

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I went to the website and looked at the info pdf. It may work on other ticks but I can only find 4 mentioned and the deer tick wasn't one of them. 2 different types of dog ticks, black leg tick and lone star tick. Maybe it was mentioned in another area and I missed it.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I went to the website and looked at the info pdf. It may work on other ticks but I can only find 4 mentioned and the deer tick wasn't one of them. 2 different types of dog ticks, black leg tick and lone star tick. Maybe it was mentioned in another area and I missed it.
You're right, for some reason they don't list deer tick on the info .pdf. Took some searching but here's the published article on the subject . . . and kill rate was 100% for deer tick at 12 hours

http://www.parasitesandvectors.com/content/7/1/525

I only found this by googling Ixodes ricinus . . . as opposed to deer tick.

"In both studies, I. ricinus ticks were selected to infest the dogs, because this species is the vector for one of the most common tick-borne infections, Lyme borreliosis (caused by B. burgdorferi), in the temperate northern hemisphere [17]

Results
Tick-killing efficacy was 89.6% at 4 hours, 97.9% at 8 hours, and 100% at 12 and 24 hours after treatment. Eight hours after re-infestation, efficacy was 96.8%, 83.5%, and 45.8% at 4, 8, and 12 weeks after treatment, respectively. At least 98.1% tick-killing efficacy was demonstrated 12 and 24 hours after re-infestation over the entire 12 week study period.

"Conclusions
Fluralaner kills ticks rapidly after treatment at 4 hours, and over its entire 12-week period of efficacy, it achieves an almost complete killing effect within 12 hours after tick infestation. The rapid tick-killing effect together with the long duration of efficacy enables fluralaner to aid in the prevention of tick borne diseases."

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
You're right, for some reason they don't list deer tick on the info .pdf. Took some searching but here's the published article on the subject . . . and kill rate was 100% for deer tick at 12 hours

http://www.parasitesandvectors.com/content/7/1/525

I only found this by googling Ixodes ricinus . . . as opposed to deer tick.

"In both studies, I. ricinus ticks were selected to infest the dogs, because this species is the vector for one of the most common tick-borne infections, Lyme borreliosis (caused by B. burgdorferi), in the temperate northern hemisphere [17]

Results
Tick-killing efficacy was 89.6% at 4 hours, 97.9% at 8 hours, and 100% at 12 and 24 hours after treatment. Eight hours after re-infestation, efficacy was 96.8%, 83.5%, and 45.8% at 4, 8, and 12 weeks after treatment, respectively. At least 98.1% tick-killing efficacy was demonstrated 12 and 24 hours after re-infestation over the entire 12 week study period.

"Conclusions
Fluralaner kills ticks rapidly after treatment at 4 hours, and over its entire 12-week period of efficacy, it achieves an almost complete killing effect within 12 hours after tick infestation. The rapid tick-killing effect together with the long duration of efficacy enables fluralaner to aid in the prevention of tick borne diseases."
It looks like the study was an independent study and both authors are from Germany. I wonder if the company (Merck) didn't include the deer tick for US distribution to get FDA clearance faster but who knows why.

If the study stated on the website is correct then it is very effective against the deer tick as well. It seems to be effective faster then Frontline which I think is a 48 hour kill time for ticks.

It's good to get another weapon against fleas and ticks!

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
I'll have to ask Bella's vet about the Brevecto - I've been scared to try anything other than the Frontline since she had "mini-seizures" after giving her the K9 Advantix...but the Frontline doesn't seem to be helping much anymore with fleas.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I emailed my vet and here in MD she has recommended Nexgard. I already have some Bravecto on order and expect it in the mail today or tomoorrow. I will go with my vets recommendation after these 1st 3 monthhs on Bravecto. Anyone had any experience with it?

·
Registered
119 Posts
The deer tick is now the black legged tick, not a separate species like first thought. Bravecto takes care of them well. That's about all we have here.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts