Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm trying to find things my pup likes to chew and at the same time will keep him occupied (a very challenging feet as hes not a big chewer and is tough to keep distracted). He had a pig ear at petsmart the other week while we in class and it kept him pretty well occupied. I am thinking about buying some for this very purpose to give him every now and then. However, I keep hearing they are not good for a dog to eat. Any thoughts? How often he should be given that would be ok? Alternative? (Rawhides are so-so with him.)

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I've never given a pig ear, but from what I've heard they aren't good. Most people will recommend you give him a bully stick instead.. IMO go with the un-scented bully sticks.. I got the scented one apparently when I got one for Zoey.. and it smelled SOOOO terrible.. she loved it though.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Skip the rawhide for sure. There is nothing but bad stuff in those. But if the dog is not inhaling the pig ear...in moderation. I think some owners have an unrealistic reality of how little it takes to skew the normal diet of a small puppy. Even small amounts of iffy stuff can throw things off. I tend to stick with kongs, raw baby carrots, or rubbery nylabones with pups and only give edibles (very small treats) for training purposes. There are so many opportunities to be giving puppies edible stuff (to keep the occupied, they are tetthing, potty training, training to sit/stay/etc) that I really try to limit the extraneous edibles.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I've given mine a pig ear the odd time, she's getting to flippin spoiled now and doesn't want them anymore. Just when I think I've found what keeps her occupied chewing for awhile, she doesn't want it:rolleyes: she never tires of chewing our wood deck though oh ya, and limbs

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
I've given mine a pig ear the odd time, she's getting to flippin spoiled now and doesn't want them anymore. Just when I think I've found what keeps her occupied chewing for awhile, she doesn't want it:rolleyes: she never tires of chewing our wood deck though oh ya, and limbs
I totally had this mental image of your dog chewing on SOMEONE'S limb...you know, like a severed arm or something. Lol...

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I prefer cow ears. They take longer to finish and aren't greasy. Dogs don't care, any chew any where any time is fine by them. There are also lamb ears on the market for dainty chewers.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Wash your hands after handling those things. You can get salmonella from them. Ewww. I do give them to my dogs occasionally, but they really do gross me out.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Hi.....have you tried the Kong toys?

Just fill it with dog treats --- or maybe peanut butter/cream cheese --- or some veggies......pack them in tightly and it will keep your dog occupied --- my guy won't give up til he gets them out & he always does.

PS -- Just make sure you wash it out daily:):rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts