Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I have four dogs and all their lives they have had an automatic feeder. My schedule wouldn't allow for regular feedings but recently it has allowed this so I decided I would take the feeder away and start feeding my dogs myself especially since one of my older dogs is a little underweight. At first they did not want to eat the dry food by itself, so I figured that they must not like it but I felt comfortable with the brand so I got the same brand and flavor only in the wet form to mix in with the dry food to make it a little tastier. It was a hit! They loved it and gobbled every bite, that lasted about two weeks. Then they decided that no longer was acceptable, so I found a different wet food to mix in and they loved that.... until the next day when that no longer was acceptable and so on and so on. So last night I decided to change their food (per my vets suggestion), that was a hit as well all four dogs loved it and ate every last bite and then today they don't like it. I've tried leaving the food down for only 20 minutes then picking it up. I've tried making a bell go off when the food is to be picked up so that they know food time is over when the bell is heard. It has become a very stressful task for me and I just don't know what to do! I've spoken to my vet and she said not to give in but they don't eat for days in a row I get worried and try to find some combination that they will eat. My vet also doesn't think I should switch to an all wet food either. I've also tried feeding at many different times during the day thinking they may want to eat at different times. I am open to any suggestions! I would hate to put the automatic feeder down as I don't think they were eating much of the food anyway, just relying on table scraps and treats.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Tough love is all you need. Try getting the food wet with some water. When I transitioned from free feeding it took a few days for him to get the hang of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried wetting it and heating it. It's just so strange because the first two weeks there was no issue. Thanks for the suggestions!!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I saw table scraps? Suspect they figured out that even canned+kibble wasn't as tasty as scraps. You need to retrain your family to put the scraps into the dog bowls to be offered at dinner time rather than when ever.

Be sure the scraps are safe and healthy. Dogs do poorly with macadamia nuts, nutmeg, onions, artificial sweeteners, grapes/raisins and chocolate for instance. My dogs are much smaller than the humans in the family and a couple of junk food cheese puffs would be like eating a whole bag of junk to them. You can add small amount of plain cooked veggies and fruits, meat, eggs and fish to the dog dishes and avoid fatty skin and lots of grainy stuff like pizza crusts. Blending such into a 'gravy' and mixing it in and letting it soak would help prevent them licking it off the kibble.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ahhh I didn't even see table scraps / treats. I would stop with those all together until they start finishing dinners. They are probably not hungry or are holding out until they get treats/scraps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts