Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Picky Eater

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  xxxxdogdragoness 
#1 ·
I have a 1 year German Shepard (55lbs) and she is an extremely picky eater. She will have about a bite or two before wandering away. She will usually skips every other meal. We tried the tough love of taking it away after 20 minutes but after 2 weeks there was no change. So now we let her graze and eventually she will finish over the course of the day. She will eat more if we are in the room with her but any change in routine and she will not eat. She will eat a bit more enthusiastically if we add something new (we mix in random stuff like white rice or peas), but that only lasts for a day or two. We don't want to change her food around too much because its a pain to wean her onto the new stuff and by then shes over it anyway. Is there anything we can do or is that just her personality?

We have done the following foods Acana Grasslands and Acana Wild Prairie. We are currently feeding her (2 feedings of 2 cups) Oriijen Puppy.

Note: She is definitely not starving and never begs for food and the vet says her weight is healthy.

#2 ·
Just glancing at the Orijen Puppy feeding guide it looks like you should feed your somewhere close to 3 or 3 1/4 cups. Often times feeding guides overestimate as well. I'd say you might be feeding too much, which might be a reason she doesn't eat it all. And I would possibly switch to an adult food if she is 1 year, which means you would feed her 3 cups or less probably if you stayed with Orijen.

I can't comment on the pickiness, I've never dealt with that. Good luck!

#3 ·
You might try feeding her a lot less at first; she might feel overwhelmed with all the food in the bowl; add more if she finishes it, looking for more. You could also try wetting the food to increase its aroma. As mentioned above, switch to an adult food. I've had puppies before that refused to eat puppy food!

#6 ·
I have a picky eater too, but she will never ever turn down Natural Balance dog food rolls. It’s soft and shredable so I just mix it into her kibble or even wet food and once I do, she eats. It never fails. I get her the turkey one for her, and sometimes the duck & potato roll, which is grain free.

#7 ·
My folks have my former dog bear & I'm certain they made him a picky eater & a spoiled brat, I NEVER had trouble with him eating after he got hit by rattle snakes a few times they started babying him & giving into his whims & they won't listen to me (I practice tough love with my dogs when they don't eat i hold out til they do & I always win).

Right now he is on this food refusal kick & they bough him a can of canned food :/, I try to tell them that it's only making him more picky but they think it's cruel, I try to tell them that it's not (he's acting normally other wise & gladly took his HW meds this morning) I try to tell them they aren't WITHHOLDING food from him HE'S not willing to EAT IT, but they don't get it :/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.