Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 year-old boston terrier and it seems just the past year she has become an ultra picky eater and sometimes I worry she is not eating enough. I've asked my vet and he said she is physically in great health- besides potentially having separation anxiety while I am gone- that I shouldn't worry too much. She isn't too skinny but sometimes she will go for more than 24 hours without eating, but will beg for food when im eating. I don't give her human food except occasionally when I am worried she isn't eating will mix in some chopped up chicken with her dry food or sprinkle a little shredded cheese on it but often she will just pick it out. It seems like i've tried everything- several different brands (grain free and regular), mixing in wet food, even tried a dehydrated raw food diet for about 6 months. My vet said just to leave it out and she will eat when she is hungry but was wondering if anyone had any more suggestions.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Put the food down once a day (or twice if you prefer) for ten minutes. Then take it away, eaten or not. Your dog will learn to eat when fed. If she's not skinny, don't sweat it. Dogs are not supposed to be fat, though the majority are.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Fully agree with the above. We got a picky eater over here too. Sometimes he just won't eat, but that doesn't last more than 2 days. He's not underweight, so I don't worry about it. It's better to have a dog on the slender side, than on the fat side. If your dog won't eat for a longer period of time (I'd say about 4-5 days) but he's still acting like his normal self, I'd consult a vet. Of course, if your dog won't eat for even one day and he's showing obvious signs of discomfort, I'd consult a vet way earlier :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts