Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Picky eater and switching dog foods...

891 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  TailsMike 
#1 ·
We have two dogs, elderly ACD mix and young BC mix. The ACD mix will eat anything and will eat the same food indefinitely. The BC mix will eat well for 6-8 weeks or so and then go on a hunger strike, apparently bored with what we are feeding. I try to keep the dogs on the same food, as they will trade (though they are fed in separate rooms) and just to make things easier on me.

They've been eating Wellness Core dry food plus a bit of Trippet Green Beef Tripe and occasionally another quality canned food for about six weeks now, both happily. They also each have a marrow bone a few times a week. Now, BC mix has decided that she will not eat, period, except the bones. I let this go on for a couple of days and then got out some Acana dry food samples I had in my dog closet. Gave her that and she ate it right up. Apparently, she would like to switch foods again. I've got 10lbs of Core left and could just keep feeding that to ACD and get BC mix some Acana and start gradually switching ACD over to it as well.

Both dogs are in good weight, have lovely coats and are healthy, except for ACD's age related arthritis. Am I encouraging picky eatnig by switching when BC mix gets bored? Does it do any harm to switch brands of dry food (about 3/4 of their diet) every couple of months? I haven't had to cycle back to another, already fed, dry food yet, as BC mix has only been here for 6 months, but I will have to eventually, as I'll run out of quality kibbles to feed.

See less See more
#2 ·
Personally, I've not had a picky eater issue. (Though currently my golden is not so crazy about the new food he is on, which is rare).

I typically switch foods each bag or so--at least to a different flavor to offer variety. :) Of course, I don't have "picky" eaters, which may be why I have no issues getting them to eat what is offered. I also "top dress" their kibble with a little canned food too, or a little yogurt. I wouldn't want to eat the same thing for my entire life, so I figure they wouldn't either. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.