Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an extremely picky Cavalier puppy. He is 8 months old and weighs 14 lbs and is healthy and growing but some days he barely eats anything.
I've tried several different brands of kibble, he will eat it for a few days and then just walks away from it.
I've tried mixing in soft food or cottage cheese and this works for a day or so then he looses interest again.
My vet says he is healthy and has no issues and not to worry about it, he will eat when he is ready. I will add that I do like and trust the vet, just having a hard time not worrying.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
If he's gotten a clean bill of health I think he's just acting out and being a jerkbag puppy :p I would put him on a schedule and give him 15 mins 2-3x a day for him to eat. If he doesn't eat in the 15 mins, take away the food, and offer later.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Up until my shih was 14 years old, there were days were he just wasn't interested in eating. He might go a whole day and not eat. The next day, he would normally clean his bowl and then the whole thing would repeat. Small dogs just don't necessarily need that many calories a day so even picking at the food might be enough to sustain your dog. Mu dog has been extremely healthy his whole life. This year (at 15) I had his blood work done and everything came back looking great.

When he started the whole not eating, I just decided I'm not going to cater to it. As long as your dog is eating .. some .. then just don't worry so much about it. If he's not losing weight, he's fine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all, I'll give it a try. I had picked his breakfast up and put it back down at lunch time. He still wouldn't touch it until I put a couple pieces on the floor. He than add what was on the floor and proceeded clean the bowl as well.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Thanks all, I'll give it a try. I had picked his breakfast up and put it back down at lunch time. He still wouldn't touch it until I put a couple pieces on the floor. He than add what was on the floor and proceeded clean the bowl as well.
Sounds like he's figuring it out :) Btw it's not a big deal if he misses a day's worth of food or so, so don't worry!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts