Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up my puppy a week from today! Im really excited! I bought this puppy before I started researching, and now Im convinced that I bought from a BYB. My fault, but its too late now. Anyways, she has them on Red Flannel and I went to this link

http://hubpages.com/hub/Red-Flannel-Puppy-Formula-PMI-Nutrition---Healthy-Dog-Foods

and the lady that wrote this talks about how horrible this food is! Originally, I was planning on switching to raw right away and not even mess with the kibble, but after listening to the advice of some of the more experienced dog owners I decided I would keep him on the kibble for a 3 weeks or so until he gets adjusted and his digestive system is working and all that. But now, after reading that page, Im hesitant again. Do I just keep feeding him that crap for three weeks or use a better kibble, or feed raw?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
It's usually best to keep a pup on the food he's used to for a few weeks. Too many changes all at once can be too much for the little guys.

And, oh well, Red Flannel isn't the worst out there. Better than Ol' Roy or a store brand. I'm sure your pup will be fine for a few weeks.

Feeding raw to a puppy takes a LOT of research and dedication. If they get too much calcium it's a problem, too little calcium, too much/too little phosphorus, too much/to little protein.....phew! Personally I'd use a high-quality kibble until he's grown up. But feeding puppies raw can be done, so don't let me scare you off.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I would keep him on it for a few weeks, it's not going to kill him. He's going to be going through a lot of adjustment without his digestive system being thrown into whack as well.

I don't know enough about feeding puppies raw, sorry. It can certainly be done, but you need to be VERY careful about Ca:p ratio and protein because of bone development.

·
Registered
361 Posts
My vet suggested we switch to raw right away. I'm still hesitant and using a high quality kibble until then but that's cause I have issues with raw chicken (hate having to touch it, lol) not because of a worry about the digestion.

As my vet said, there is no puppy food in the wild. A well balanced raw diet is correct for any age. He also believe all "puppy" food is just a marketing gimmick and there is no reason a pup needs to be on anything but a good adult maintenance food.

With a pup you feed about 2% of the expected adult weight.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Coming from someone who's currently going thru the cold turkey mistake (i was half way home before i realized i forgot to get a baggy of his current food) No matter how crappy you feel his current food is, do a slow transition on to whatever it is you would prefer he eat.
you have to give their fragile little digestive systems time to adjust. To speed the process along you can supplement with probiotics like probios or benebac. that will help the good bacteria to populate in his digestive tract quicker.
Oh, and the food you posted is not as horrifying as the person who wrote the article made it out to be. There is LOTS of misinformation on there about how the food is produced. If you would like information on the regulations of specific ingredients and the processing of dog food this is a good link of what legally each ingredient has to comply to http://www.braypets.com/frr/aafcodef.htm

My poor dude has been having diarrhea and is now on plain rice and yogurt, and has a vet appointment :(

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
My vet suggested we switch to raw right away. I'm still hesitant and using a high quality kibble until then but that's cause I have issues with raw chicken (hate having to touch it, lol) not because of a worry about the digestion.

As my vet said, there is no puppy food in the wild. A well balanced raw diet is correct for any age. He also believe all "puppy" food is just a marketing gimmick and there is no reason a pup needs to be on anything but a good adult maintenance food.

I think I love your vet!

If you want to feed raw there's help out there including several Yahoo Groups, one of which is especially for puppies.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Add a little of the new things, and go up slowly.

Wow, I wish my vet was like yours.
I was asked what I was feeding my dog, I told them raw. Told me that I should give them kibbles instead, and also said pedigree is pretty good.:eek:

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
If you're convinced it's a BYB, why are you still getting it?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Add a little of the new things, and go up slowly.

Wow, I wish my vet was like yours.
I was asked what I was feeding my dog, I told them raw. Told me that I should give them kibbles instead, and also said pedigree is pretty good.:eek:
I finished a dog (a Tricolor to boot - it's HARD to keep a good coat on a Tri) on pedigree. A friend finished a dog (huge coated rough lovely boy) on Science Diet.

*shrugs* It can be done with good results. :p

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
THank you all for your help! I suppose 3 more weeks of crap won't kill the little guy. Im still set on feeding raw, so Im only buying one bag and when he runs out, he gets raw food--going cold turkey! (I think its better that way) I wish I could find a vet that believed in raw feeding--its still a new concept though, I bet it gets more and more popular.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Please do some research before feeding raw. Most of the vets don't believed in raw feeding because they are uneducated in food or just want to make more money.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Switch to raw right away. Throw the kibble out.

Puppies can eat 10% of their weight a day, split into 3 meals. A 10 lb puppy would eat three 6oz. meals. Start with ground chicken or turkey, around 75% meat, 25% ground bone. After a week add ground turkey, then add some organs to both, mostly meat, some bone, and a little organ. Green lamb or beef tripe would be next, about once a week for the rest of their lives. Then beef, lamb, pork, bison, sardines, egg, duck, rabbit... mostly meat, some bone, some organs. Add a 1/4 tsp. kelp/alphalfa powder and a squirt of salmon oil to their breakfast meal.

I've been feeding my dog raw since 7 weeks old, now she eats whole chickens and turkeys cut in to one pound chunks, beef heart, pork neck bones, whole turkey necks, whole chicken backs/necks, beef liver and kidney, beef marrow bone... anything and everything at the meat counter that is under $2.00/lb.

Variety is the key, a balanced diet means balanced over the course of a week. Chicken, turkey, beef, pork, lamb, bison, duck, rabbit, fish, eggs, green tripe, salmon oil, kelp/alphalfa powder. That's the raw dog food shopping list, watch for sales and fill your freezer.

http://www.totallyrawdogfood.com/MealCalculator.aspx

This is a link to the meal calculator at totallyrawdogfood.com

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
But hasn't gotten the puppy yet. She could try to get her money back.
Had I known she was a BYB, I would not have gotten my puppy from her, but I paid for him already, and I'm still really excited about picking him up this sunday. I've already seen pictures and I already love my puppy (his name is Jaeger) I know next time to do more research and choose my breeder carefully and pay the extra cost that come with reputable breeders.

Please do some research before feeding raw. Most of the vets don't believed in raw feeding because they are uneducated in food or just want to make more money.
I have done lots of research on raw feeding, I bought 2 books on raw feeding and another on holistic pet care, which also touches on raw feeding I've also read lots of boards here and asked lots of questions and I'm confident I can do this correctly.

Pheobespeople--You think its more beneficial for puppy to have a new home and new food at the same time? You don't think that its going to be too traumatizing?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Think about it this way, what did you grandparents (or great-grandparents) feed their dogs? It's almost weird to think about, but dog food from a bag or can isn't really that old and frankly most of it is crap.

I'm not trying to sell you on feeding raw, just stating what I found out when I researched this heavily on my own. There is a lot of misinformation and conflicting opinions out there about dog food. I personally recommend a good non-grain dog food, I like the stuff from Solid Gold and Wellness. I'd probably just cook for my dog, but frankly that takes additional time I don't have most days of the week.

Also, I can't imagine my grandfolks ate the same food every day which meant their dogs didn't get the same food every day (grandma was a professional cook, grandpa was a rancher). The stuff about dogs needing days or weeks to go from one food type to another seems like it's a product of the manufactured pet food industry to me.

·
Registered
166 Posts
"Pheobespeople--You think its more beneficial for puppy to have a new home and new food at the same time? You don't think that its going to be too traumatizing?"

I think any time a puppy goes to a new home it is somewhat confusing for them. The health benefits of a raw diet could only serve to reduce the stress on them. Keep in mind, dogs are pack animals and carnivores. Therefore, all they need is you, and raw meat.

When we got Phoebe at 7 weeks old, she had been on puppy kibble for about 3 weeks and we switched to raw, cold turkey. She had runny poops and spots on her tummy for a week or two, both signs of detoxification, but the increased energy and nutrients she got from her raw diet absolutely helped her transition to her new home.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts