Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried those poop scoopers that look like a rake and shovel? If so, how well did they work on fresh poop? Does anyone have any other ideas for picking up poop for someone who hates to use a bag?

Here is the background: my husband just returned from his deployment and has been gone this whole year so in addition to never having met our second dog, another little issue has popped up. He hates picking up the dog poop. Before he left, we had just the puppy and I didn't have a job so I did all poop removal. While he was gone, I used bags and I picked up immediately, as the dogs tend to play all over the yard after pooping, trampling poop and sending it everywhere. He says the reason he hates to pick it up is because it is squishy and would like to leave it in the yard at least a few hours so it has time to harden. As that just leads to a mess, I'm not ok with that.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Has anyone tried those poop scoopers that look like a rake and shovel? If so, how well did they work on fresh poop? Does anyone have any other ideas for picking up poop for someone who hates to use a bag?

Here is the background: my husband just returned from his deployment and has been gone this whole year so in addition to never having met our second dog, another little issue has popped up. He hates picking up the dog poop. Before he left, we had just the puppy and I didn't have a job so I did all poop removal. While he was gone, I used bags and I picked up immediately, as the dogs tend to play all over the yard after pooping, trampling poop and sending it everywhere. He says the reason he hates to pick it up is because it is squishy and would like to leave it in the yard at least a few hours so it has time to harden. As that just leads to a mess, I'm not ok with that.
I tried them. Great if you have a back issue, but IMO more messy than just using a bag. My wife was like your husband. It took some fussing, but she was trained to use bags. ;)

·
Super Moderator
11,810 Posts
I use the rake-and-scoop in the yard and bags everywhere else.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
With two dogs, using the rake and scoop in the yard every couple of days and then bagging everything together* is much easier and economical than picking up every individual poop with an individual bag.

*I recycle plastic grocery store bags into yard poop bags. If you live in an area where stores don't hand them out wil-nilly, you can buy small (maybe 10 gallon?) trash bags.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Just my opinion, but I find the rake and scoop system is messy, cumbersome, hard to clean, and usually of poor manufacturing quality.

My personal preference is a flat-edged spade, as opposed to a pointed tip. They're efficient, easy to wield with one hand once you find the sweet spot or balance point on the handle, easy to rinse off with a garden hose, and even an inexpensive one will last a lifetime.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-28-in-D-Handle-Garden-Spade-2531400/205325466

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
I use the long handled dustpan type things that hold a lot, then dump the poop into a pail lined with a small garbage bag. I use a small rake and find it easy to pick it up even if it is soft. Don't have to bend over and makes cleaning up a quick job. Use bags when out walking.

Collect up these smaller garbage bags and take them to the dump.

·
Registered
935 Posts
If I'm out, the big version for Mouse is annoying so bag.
At house none of the above, feed raw so few day turns white and next rain is gone.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Petpeeve, does the spade work well on grass? Thanks everyone!
In my experience, yes. Superbly. The grass seems to elevate it just a bit, which allows you to easily 'get underneath' with the shovel. Subtle vibrating motion side to side and/or forward, and bob's yer uncle.

·
Registered
278 Posts
In all honesty, I have 3 dogs (one 50 pounds, and 2 toy breeds) and I haven't picked up poop in a good 3 months. They are on a raw diet so whatever the magpies don't take away (which is about 80%+ of it) it just breaks down and disintegrates. :)
(I do have a dog run so any poop that isn't immediately carted away is not in any 'play areas')

1 - 18 of 18 Posts