Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I will be picking up a puppy next month. I live in NY and the puppy (smooth fox terrier) is in LA. I'm originally from southern CA and my mom still lives there. I will be flying back to NY with the 9 week old puppy (in main cabin). I'm wondering which of the following situations would be the least stressful for the dog in the transition back with me to NY.
1) pick up puppy from breeder on Sunday afternoon, driving to my mom's home (about an hour and a half from LA) for a night, then the following night (Monday), fly on a red eye back to NY.
2) pick up puppy from breeder on Monday afternoon, and head to the airport for the red eye to NY

I'm debating whether the day spent with me at my mom's house would giver her more time to get used to me and adjust before the flight, or whether the car ride and addition of another unknown location before flying would just be more stressful... Any thoughts?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you to all who replied. I am going to pick up the puppy (we are naming her Harlow) on Sunday the 20th, and fly back during the afternoon of the 21st. I appreciate the feedback on the red eye, which is a good point. If I were trying to sleep I would probably be perturbed with a fellow passenger if they brought a young puppy on board!

I will be sure to keep her secured in her crate while driving (my mom will be driving) but I know that we'll all be safer with her secure for the ride.

I'll definitely post an update once she is home with us!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts