Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm picking up an 8 month old female GSD/mix from our local city shelter tomorrow as a foster. She's spayed and UTD on shots. She's on the "adoptable" list so I'll be trying to find a permanent home or a rescue to take her, if space opens at the city's adoption site she could be moved there also.

I have a room where she can stay and there's nothing to damage, the shelter staff didn't think she needed to be crated. I figure I'll put a foam bed and a chew toy there and that's all; vinyl tile floor so no concerns about accidents.

While I obviously won't leave her and my dog alone together at any point (I don't leave any dogs together unsupervised), how much caution should I be taking in terms of health concerns? Complete isolation is kind of impractical, since they'll both be going out in the yard and passing through the house etc. My dog is UTD on shots.

Any suggestions, help, or words of advice?

Here's her photo from the shelter-

·
Registered
731 Posts
She's UTD on shots, but have they given her a all clear on her health? I would have a vet check her out- check her for all the common issues like kennel cough, mange, parvo,etc and also look at fleas and worms too.

I wouldn't worry too much after those basics are cleared, but maybe I'm being ignorant and missing something. Hopefully someone who fosters often has more to say.

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She's on the adoptable list so she's been seen by the shelter vet and isn't showing signs of anything. She's on Revolution and they will do a heartworm test again this morning. The shelter is crowded though.

I figured to just keep good general cleanliness- pick up poop, separate water bowls, keep her as isolated as possible for the first couple days and an eye out for any signs of illness. I could take her by my vet Tues or Wed I suppose, they'd probably see her for free if I asked nicely; the foster deal is that they provide medical care ($) but only at the shelter's vet and the foster provides food and basic care items.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
She is adorable. Good for you for fostering!

I think you are on the right track--just be slow on intros, etc.

I can't foster--I would keep them all.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Yay! Another foster pup. :)

I think you definitely have a good handle on what to do. Once you get the dog, check for obvious signs of illness. If there are any, get her to a vet and have her checked out. Since she is UTD on shots, and your gorgeous man is UTD on shots as well, I see no issue with them socializing together.

Keeping them separated while not supervised is good caution. However, after the initial intros are done and over with and they both seem comfortable with each other, let them be together! The fosters that i've had have all greatly benefitted from being around my forever dogs. I have found that my dogs teach the foster pretty quickly what is appropriate and what is not. With my rescue, most fosters come from large "sanctuaries" where they live with 30+ dogs in a large fenced area. Separating them from contact stresses them out. Though I do not obviously know the temperament of the dog in question or her background. (The above advice is only for when supervision is possible)

Good luck and keep posting pictures!

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Photos and more info HERE

I posted a photo thread with some more info also. Unfortunately I also posted a "kennel cough" thread.... so she is isolated for 10 days which may or may not help keep Chester from getting kennel cough also (but he's vaccinated which may help or reduce severity if he does get sick).

As soon as she can spend time with Chester, they will have plenty of supervised play time. I already like her temperament and think they will get along well.

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Petfinder Profile!

I sent two additional photos to the woman doing the profile updates and revised her size to "medium" - she just looks so large in photos like a regular GSD that she assumed the dog was "large"
And I've updated the other thread linked in the previous post over in the photos forum-- more cute pics and some updates on her behavior.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts