Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this morning I got my pup, hes a miniature schnauzer / bichon friese (both parents are pedigrees), and is 9 weeks old on thursday. I saw both parents who had lovely temperaments and after an initial yap welcomed me into their home. The lady i got him from breeds bichon frise but also has a pet schnauzer who is the pups mother.
With his mum and sister the puppy was fine, fairly confident, playful etc but since Ive got him home hes really scared. Hes hiding in his crate (he likes it) or behind the bin and started shaking when I took him outside. Hes not as bad as at lunch time so im hoping its just because of the major upheaval.
Ive put some pads down for him and he peed on the floor so i put some pee on the pad and the 2 nd time hes gone there :)
So any tips on helping him settle in please? Plus toys as I havent got any yet!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Probably the best thing you can do is leave him alone. He is insecure about the upheaval. You might put him in his crate, put a blanket over it (on 3 sides) and sit outside it with your back to him, so he can see you. Don't look at him or talk to him, just sit there in calm, companionable silence. Let him approach.

This is normal behavior for a new puppy. Don't force him and he'll be fine. It may take a couple weeks for him to feel comfortable, but you'll see a little improvement every day. Try to keep the routine as regular as possible (no grooming or car trips or visitors) if you can.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, hes came round loads even in the last hour. hes currently asleep on my knee :) when do you put a collar on them? Iwant to take him out to meet people (carrying him) so he would need a collar and lead on for that. Does pavo virus only get caught by dog to dog contact or can it be caught if an infected dog has been in the area?
thanks

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Save the visitors for later. I'd keep the puppy environment quiet and regular for the first week. You just took him away from the only family he's ever known so don't expect him to be Mr. Social for a bit.

You can put a little bitty collar on him for increasing periods of time when he's indoors to get him used to it. But most puppies do not walk on a leash for a while yet.

Parvo can be transmitted on anyone's shoes, clothes, it's in the dirt everywhere...don't take chances until he is FULLY vaccinated. Only take him outside where other dogs do not go (if you teach him to use potty pads you are teaching him that it's ok to potty indoors, maybe a hard habit to break later) and be with people who do not have dogs or whose dogs are fully vaccinated and healthy. No dog parks, pet stores, areas where other dogs eliminate.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Great advice above. I agree 100%. Take pictures of him so you can show your friends, but he's like a little baby. Don't expose him to much just yet, unless it's aboslutely necessary. Sounds like he'll be ready to visit in a week, but I still wouldn't let him walk where other dogs have been. I even carried my puppy until he was 16 weeks old and had his last vac. He was HEAVY! LOL

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the advice, ill keep him nice and quiet for the next week or so. :)

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I would actually disagree about the collar and leash - I would start him on wearing the collar and learning to walk around with attention on you as soon as he's comfortable at home- probably tomorrow or the next day. Just clip leash on him, make a squeaky noise, and take a step or two, encouraging him to come with you adn rewarding him when he does.

The 'clingy' social period of little baby puppies is the IDEAL time to start leash training, because you can set up a habit of NOT pulling. If you don't start teaching 'we walk together and you pay attention to me AND the environment' until the puppy is really interested in their surroundings, it's harder to teach this.

I'm a little bit worried from your description that this puppy may be in the midst of a fear period. I would be very careful in what I did and make sure everything was set up for him to have GOOD experiences -b ut I would also GENTLY expose him to as many new things as you can manage.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ive put a collar on him which hasnt bothered hi at all. hes coming out of his shell more all the time and has been very playful with my daughters. whenever hes in the kitchen though and he sees you coming he goes off into his box! he is coming out more though. im completly and utterly in love :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts